Options

newbie here + a question

size15shoesize15shoe Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello! Ive been lurking for a while and finally registered and I wanted to introduce myself. You guys have a ton of knowledge!

I have a question for you all. I currently am a help desk intern. Basically, I troubleshoot hardware, do software installs, backups, reformatting of pc's and everything else computer related in that job role. I am a college student (finally started getting my degree, a little late but better late than never) and I will graduate in 2012 with an MIS degree. I plan on getting my CompTIA A+ and a Cisco CCNA before graduation.

With those credentials mentioned above, what jobs would you all recommend that I apply for? I want to be a sysadmin, and eventually a systems architect. What would be the next logical step for me after graduation?

Thanks a bunch, and once again, its nice to finally talk to you all :D

Comments

• Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    size15shoe wrote: »
    Hello! Ive been lurking for a while and finally registered and I wanted to introduce myself. You guys have a ton of knowledge!

I have a question for you all. I currently am a help desk intern. Basically, I troubleshoot hardware, do software installs, backups, reformatting of pc's and everything else computer related in that job role. I am a college student (finally started getting my degree, a little late but better late than never) and I will graduate in 2012 with an MIS degree. I plan on getting my CompTIA A+ and a Cisco CCNA before graduation.

With those credentials mentioned above, what jobs would you all recommend that I apply for? I want to be a sysadmin, and eventually a systems architect. What would be the next logical step for me after graduation?

Thanks a bunch, and once again, its nice to finally talk to you all :D

Well if you go ahead with that, keep it up with the help desk, I'de try looking for Jr. Sys Admin positions after that. That way you got a couple years experience and some certs. Maybe try going for a microsoft cert while your at it.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Welcome!

If you want to work on the systems side I'd concentrate on MS or Linux rather than Cisco stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    CompTIA is a nice start, A+, Network+ , & Security+.

If you want a career in Unix..start with Linux+. Install Linux and start learning :)

Welcome to TE icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    physicskidphysicskid Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From my perspective, I like to point out one thing I feel is important.

Working with people.

Whatever job anybody goes for, it all starts with talking and communication.

English is one heck of a language, for instance, there's countless ways to describe issues. Yeah, we work in the world of Information Technology where our technical know-hows are counted on to solve countless issues but how do we usually begin? It usually starts at the beginning with information collecting. And this is where I stress effective communication.

One book I still constantly read is Dale Carnegie's "How to Make Friends and Influence People" book. No, we aren't trying to make friends in IT. We just need to find ways to sometimes influence people to give us the information we need to resolve their issues.

Anyhoo, that's my thought!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    As has been stated. If you want to work in Systems then I would go no higher than a CCNA. The systems side of the house encompasses hardware and software, the Network side of the house is all networking. In other words, I've seen very few systems people with a CCNA and none with a CCNP.

For you I would suggest the A+, Net+, and Sec+ then focus on the Microsoft stuff like the MCITP:SA or MCTIPS:EA. Most importantly work that help desk role like your life depends on it. Learn it, be good at it and the rest will fall into place.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    millworx wrote: »
    Well if you go ahead with that, keep it up with the help desk, I'de try looking for Jr. Sys Admin positions after that. That way you got a couple years experience and some certs. Maybe try going for a microsoft cert while your at it.

Awesome! thanks for your input. I was looking at some of the Ms certs as well
  • Options
    Welcome!

If you want to work on the systems side I'd concentrate on MS or Linux rather than Cisco stuff.

I never thought about Linux, but its something that I will definitely learn it, ive seen alot of jobs where linux experience is required
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    physicskid wrote: »

Working with people.

English is one heck of a language, for instance, there's countless ways to describe issues. Yeah, we work in the world of Information Technology where our technical know-hows are counted on to solve countless issues but how do we usually begin? It usually starts at the beginning with information collecting. And this is where I stress effective communication.

One book I still constantly read is Dale Carnegie's "How to Make Friends and Influence People" book. No, we aren't trying to make friends in IT. We just need to find ways to sometimes influence people to give us the information we need to resolve their issues.

Yeah, great book indeed. Very valuable reading.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    CompTIA is a nice start, A+, Network+ , & Security+.

If you want a career in Unix..start with Linux+. Install Linux and start learning :)

Welcome to TE icon_thumright.gif

Thank you for the welcome! You know, i never really thought of Unix, but Im going to definitely learn it. How long have you been working in Unix?
  • Options
    physicskid wrote: »

Working with people.

LOL funny you mention that.. I had a few jobs before i decided on a career, and to dedicate myself full time to college. One of those jobs was a bank teller/csr.That job taught me how to effectively communicate, because trying to tell people anything negative about their accounts takes some hellacious communication skills :)
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    As has been stated. If you want to work in Systems then I would go no higher than a CCNA. The systems side of the house encompasses hardware and software, the Network side of the house is all networking. In other words, I've seen very few systems people with a CCNA and none with a CCNP.

For you I would suggest the A+, Net+, and Sec+ then focus on the Microsoft stuff like the MCITP:SA or MCTIPS:EA. Most importantly work that help desk role like your life depends on it. Learn it, be good at it and the rest will fall into place.

Thanks! Im really glad for you guys' input. honestly, I was kinda lost when it came to certs and the right ones to get. As far as the helpdesk job, I really like it. Its been a crash test IT course enhanced with PED's lol. Ive learned way more that I thought I would in just 6 months, and I will work there until graduation. actually, I work for free (seriously) lol. Its an unpaid internship, but its ok, the experience is what I wanted more than anything...
  • Options
    physicskidphysicskid Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
    size15shoe wrote: »
    LOL funny you mention that.. I had a few jobs before i decided on a career, and to dedicate myself full time to college. One of those jobs was a bank teller/csr.That job taught me how to effectively communicate, because trying to tell people anything negative about their accounts takes some hellacious communication skills :)

Well, now I know why my mother survived for so long in the banking industry. It's because of books like this!

Glad to be of help!