Options

Loading IOS

ajith.maharajajith.maharaj Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi,i have a cisco 870 router and i mistakelyicon_redface.gif deleted the IOS,how do i re-install it.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first step is to find an IOS image if you don't have a back-up copy. Next, go to this page and follow the instructions in the "Disaster Recovery with TFTP Download" section:

Cisco 850 Series and Cisco 870 Series Access Routers Software Configuration Guide - ROM Monitor [Cisco 800 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems

We've all done that or something equally bad along the way. It's part of the learning experience. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    haha ops :P
    xmodem

thankfully i've not had to do it yet.. But I'm pretty sure I will one day..
  • Options
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    deth1k wrote: »
    no need for xmodem.
    You are assuming he has a working LAN and tftp server! icon_wink.gif

Thank God for the ability to tftp an IOS image.... xmodem is something that you do at the end of the day (assuming no LAN/tftp server available) and then check on when you get back into work the next morning. NOT FUN!
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    CiskHo wrote: »
    You are assuming he has a working LAN and tftp server! icon_wink.gif

He is obviously posting from a working PC, which is all you need. Plug the PC directly into the router. And Pumpkin is a free download away. icon_mrgreen.gif

Besides, the 870 has a built in switch, so you don't even need a crossover cable.
    Thank God for the ability to tftp an IOS image.... xmodem is something that you do at the end of the day (assuming no LAN/tftp server available) and then check on when you get back into work the next morning. NOT FUN!

Been there, done that. Never again.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    alan2308 wrote: »
    He is obviously posting from a working PC, which is all you need. Plug the PC directly into the router. And Pumpkin is a free download away.
    Right... Silly me thought his PC could have been at home while his router was at work. What's the max distance on Cat5e again?? ;)
    (I always try to assume the worst case scenario because that is usually what I am faced with at work icon_cry.gif)

What is Pumpkin? Never heard of it but it sounds like something I should check out.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    xmodem is something that you do at the end of the day (assuming no LAN/tftp server available) and then check on when you get back into work the next morning. NOT FUN!
    XMODEM is all you've got when its a small fixed config switch like a 2950. They generally don't support TFTP in ROMMON.

And it really doesn't that take long if you remember to increase the baud rate before doing the transfer. Don't go crazy with it as the console port doesn't do anything handshaking so you'll get overruns if you go too fast.
  • Options
    Right... Silly me thought his PC could have been at home while his router was at work. What's the max distance on Cat5e again?? ;)
    (I always try to assume the worst case scenario because that is usually what I am faced with at work icon_cry.gif)

What is Pumpkin? Never heard of it but it sounds like something I should check out.

Pumpkin is a free tftp server.

And why would that make any difference? Without an IOS image, you would have to transfer the image locally (tftp or xmodem) and you still need a working PC nearby in either case. Besides, if the router isn't fixed, he shouldn't have gone home yet anyway. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    hi,can anybody give me a link for the 870 IOS as i cannot find it on the cisco site
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hi,can anybody give me a link for the 870 IOS as i cannot find it on the cisco site

Saw that one coming icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Saw that one coming icon_lol.gif
    lol,seriously i can find any other ios but not the one i am looking for
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    rommon 11 > IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.5
    rommon 12 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
    rommon 13 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    rommon 14 > TFTP_SERVER=192.168.1.10
    rommon 15 > TFTP_FILE=c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-13a.bin
    rommon 16 > tftpdnld

i have a question

which interface is receiving that config??? because you must connect your pc to the router in some way
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    usally its the first fast ethernet port on the router.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the same mistake when i was studying CCNA :). Like the others said...only xmodem or If you have a Lan and opportunity to use tftp server (can be your computer) use a command tftpnld

Xmodem is very very very slow but you can speed-up a little bit by changing cosnole baud rate from 9600 to 115200

Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon - Cisco Systems

about cisco IOS- is licensed and you cannot just download for free :), obviously if you want to have a legal one :)
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka