Options

Hyper-V anyone?

katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Who here works in a Hyper-V environment?

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Me. Though I leave the few customer/internal Hyper-V servers knocking about to the juniors and stick to my far superior VMware estate.
    Only joking of course, but thought that I may as well start the flame wars early. First response as well, good effort I'd say - It usually takes a few replies for the stereotypical Hyper-V v VMware comparisons to begin :)

Seriously though, why do you ask?
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just wondering. I haven't managed virtual servers myself until I landed my most current gig. Soo I have to ask. Why do people get all stirred up between Hyper-V and VMware? I don't know any better so please elaborate. :)
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    katierose wrote: »
    Just wondering. I haven't managed virtual servers myself until I landed my most current gig. Soo I have to ask. Why do people get all stirred up between Hyper-V and VMware? I don't know any better so please elaborate. :)

It's like the old Ford vs. Chevy jihad. Everyone is defensive of what they have :) I run both VMWare ESXi and Hyper-V, with Hyper-V being my preferred VM platform. They both run great on the new Dell R910's with 32 cores and 512GB and quad 10GbE per 4u box.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We sell Vmware but use hyper-V/Xen when it benefits us.

Essentially Vmware is about 60%-70% margin. Windows is about 10%. That is our only motivator one way or another. I couldn't care less one way or other than it's easier to train junior admins on hyper-v.
    -Daniel