Options

Being asked to do something illegal on the job

2»

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    ... Who would blindly choose a moral stand over the wellbeing of their family and house?

I would and I have.

However, I have never let a job dictate how I could live my life. So, when one chooses to "live like no one else..." (Dave Ramsey) than one finds the freedom to not comprimse their integrity for a paycheck.

and this is NOT ment to be 'back at you mikedis2', being this is a forum it is difficult to illustrate that this is purely a 'matter-of-fact' comment and not an 'in your face' comment...simply stating YES, it can be done. Yes, people (including myself) have made this choice previously, and YES, things do work out. The points of fear of the unknown and must-have-paycheck have been well illustrated. However, being slave to the job is not the only way...there are other options Peace
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    What with all the self-righteous responses in this thread? We're not discussing drug dealing or people smuggling (comparing this to selling contaminated pills?icon_scratch.gif). Being the boy scout is all fine but is nothing to being unemployed without any prospects. Who would blindly choose a moral stand over the wellbeing of their family and house?

Why fault people who have a firm view that caving in and taking the path that to them might be the moral low ground? I don't see any blinding self-righteous posts in this thread, self-righteous people are essentially those people who hold a view so strong and whom are intolerant of others who might not share the same view - if anything, your post is more self-righteous than the other responses here just in the opposing viewpoint instead.

Simply put, people have different moral standards - end of story. I wouldn't judge the OP in a negative way regardless of the decision they made, it's his choice and only they hold all of the variables to properly analyze the situation to determine what decision they are comfortable making.

Regarding choosing the moral stand over the well being of their family? It's all in how one chooses to live their life. I would rather deal with a period of harder times than be forced into making decisions I was morally opposed to. That's just my preference, I value my own personal liberty and my own set of morals too much to cave. If I caved, I might live a bit more comfortably but that comfort wouldn't outweigh the negative feelings I would feel having caved in to the people who think they have power over me. Companies, governments, and even other individuals more and more think they can use power to get people to do what they please - not me, I'll be the wolf - if others prefer to be the sheep then so be it.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Just wanted to update everyone on this...

Met with the boss today after him and his partner spoke yesterday. My boss put me on "probation" to see if my continued employment would work. I resigned half an hour later, effective immediately. His business partner told me during my exit interview that he fully expected me to resign and was simply wondering what day it would happen. He doesn't fault me at all for any of this. My boss was pissed, though.

On the bright side, I have two interviews with their largest competitors coming up soon.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    forkvoid wrote: »

Met with the boss today after him and his partner spoke yesterday. My boss put me on "probation" to see if my continued employment would work. I resigned half an hour later, effective immediately. His business partner told me during my exit interview that he fully expected me to resign and was simply wondering what day it would happen. He doesn't fault me at all for any of this. My boss was pissed, though.

On the bright side, I have two interviews with their largest competitors coming up soon.

Well, congrats for sticking to your guns. You're most certainly a person of conviction and no one can fault you for it. Good luck on the new job hunt, hopefully karma will kick in and you'll get something awesome.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□

I personally would sleep much better with this decision. I say you made a good call. Best of luck with the interviews. icon_thumright.gif
    :study:
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    If it's a criminal violation (e.g., violates the DMCA) then never do it. If it's a civil violation (i.e., the worst that can happen in your employer can get sued by the software vendor or the SPA) then you have an obligation to inform your employer of that possibility and that s/he is taking the responsibility of exposing the company to legal actions by organizations such as the Business Software Alliance. If your company has a legal/ethics department then run it by them.
    Whups! Just read this. Congratz!

Now that you are out of there, it's time to blow the whistle on your boss!
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    JDMurray wrote: »
    If it's a criminal violation (e.g., violates the DMCA) then never do it. If it's a civil violation (i.e., the worst that can happen in your employer can get sued by the software vendor or the SPA) then you have an obligation to inform your employer of that possibility and that s/he is taking the responsibility of exposing the company to legal actions by organizations such as the Business Software Alliance. If your company has a legal/ethics department then run it by them.

Whups! Just read this. Congratz!

Now that you are out of there, it's time to blow the whistle on your boss!

Unfortunately, I left before the software was installed, so I can't confirm that it's on there.

My biggest concern isn't that I'm unemployed with a mortgage... it's that my previous boss, who is very well-connected and vindictive, is going to start making calls to people in power. I know I will be passed over at the #1 and #5 largest in the city due to his closest friends being in top management there and they are familiar with this situation.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My biggest concern isn't that I'm unemployed with a mortgage... it's that my previous boss, who is very well-connected and vindictive, is going to start making calls to people in power. I know I will be passed over at the #1 and #5 largest in the city due to his closest friends being in top management there and they are familiar with this situation.

For what it's worth, if friends (and those who aren't friends but perhaps just acquaintances) of your now former boss are going to put much weight in an out of the blue "btw this guy just quit and he's a crappy employee" then I'd not care to work for/with them anyways.

He might mention some things to his friends at the other companies, if he's at all smart I doubt he'll go much beyond that... I'm no lawyer by any means but I imagine really trying to spread negativity about you would open him up to litigation.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unfortunately, I left before the software was installed, so I can't confirm that it's on there.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a change of scenery might be in store.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Toss a low ball low lawsuit at them just for fun.

Best of luck in the job hunt!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, technically because of what transpired, could this be considered a "Hostile Work Environment"?
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    He might mention some things to his friends at the other companies, if he's at all smart I doubt he'll go much beyond that... I'm no lawyer by any means but I imagine really trying to spread negativity about you would open him up to litigation.

Libel/Slander can be a very serious civil issue. If he does become a victim of his previous employer bad mouthing him to other organizations then the trip to the attorneys office would be the first step I would make. But as well I am no attorney and I would defer to a legal professional for advice or consultation.

Regardless, when discussing this employer keep it short, stick to the facts, and above all resist the urge to make ANY negative comment (publicly or privately).
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stiltz79 wrote: »
    So, technically because of what transpired, could this be considered a "Hostile Work Environment"?

It seems that way to me.

At the very least I would call some legal counsel just to see what, if anything, could be done. Then again if you don't want to drag things out, that's up to you.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Regardless of where everyone else stands on the line between your needs vs. morals Kudos for making a hard choice. It may hurt you now but I've no doubt you will benefit in the long run.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Regardless of where everyone else stands on the line between your needs vs. morals Kudos for making a hard choice. It may hurt you now but I've no doubt you will benefit in the long run.

Agreed!

Congratulations!

Now, the real difficult work begins, but get out there and start hitting or print some business cards and become a consultant until things level off.

Hang in there!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?