Options

Lost and confused

techguy610techguy610 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone

I posted on this forum for some much needed advice. In December I graduated with a Masters of Information systems. Why I am lost is because I graduated with a bachelors in finance and worked that for a few years before realizing I hated it and wanted a career change. Therefore I have no practical work experience in IT and do not know where to go from here certification or career wise. I learned a lot and love data warehousing and data mining and my SQL skills are pretty decent but once again in class we were taught mostly theoretical stuff and not practical stuff. I also enjoyed networking and very curious about network security.

I suppose my question does any one have any practical advise? perhaps examples of their career paths. Also, I looked at the A+ test and seemed really easy, then looked at perhaps the MCTS windows 7 test but that seemed like it would be irrelevant to the career path I want. Would the Oracle tests be a good choice?

Thank you all for reading and responding to help.

Comments

• Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    I guess it really all depends on what area of IT you want to persue? Systems Admin, Database Admin, Programmer, Network Engineer? There are tons of fields. If you are looking to get into databases, Oracle would be a good cert to have, or one of the Microsoft Developers certs too. What field are you looking to get into?
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    millworx wrote: »
    I guess it really all depends on what area of IT you want to persue? Systems Admin, Database Admin, Programmer, Network Engineer? There are tons of fields. If you are looking to get into databases, Oracle would be a good cert to have, or one of the Microsoft Developers certs too. What field are you looking to get into?

That would be my question as well as millworx has stated. Have you also looked into Sales IT (not sure if that is the correct vanacular) since you have a B.S in Finance. I'm sure that would highlight employers eyes when you apply for jobs in that field
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda