Options

WIC-1T installation

mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
I was just wondering how hard it is to install a WIC-1T serial interface card into a cisco router ? I have a 2611XM. Im guessing its not that simple.. ?

any help as to how you go about this would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Simple.
    Turn off the router, undo the 2 screws from the blanking plate, remove blanking plate, slide in WIC 1T, give it a little push to make sure it's seated correctly, not too hard though, then tighten up the screws. Job done. It'll take you about 30 seconds.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTE8rfiCkLc&feature=related It looks like a 2FE card he's popped in but it's the exact same process. My grandma could do it.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    It doesn't get any easier than installing a WIC/VIC/VWIC/NM card. Just make sure your IOS version supports the card you are installing and you should be all set. My guess is that almost every image for a 2611 supports a WIC-1T as that is about the most basic card out there. As stated make sure you power off the router before inserting the card as the cards are not hot-swappable.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    i have tried to get it working but I keep getting the same problems..

Slot is empty or does not support clock participate
    WIC slot is empty or does not support clock participate
    SETUP: new interface Serial0/0 placed in "shutdown" state

then whenever I go into

int serial0/0 no shut it just keeps saying changed state to down even after I said no shut. I have tried to ios images. I just got this lab yesterday but nothing is working icon_sad.gif

I have tried

(C2600-IPSS7-M), Version 12.4(5b)
    and c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-17

Router(config-if)#shut
    Router(config-if)#
    *Mar 1 00:21:22.054: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0/0, changed state to administratively down
    Router(config-if)#
    Router(config-if)#
    Router(config-if)#no shut
    Router(config-if)#
    *Mar 1 00:21:29.354: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0/0, changed state to down

any clues or do you think its all stuffed ? I have tried reseating heaps of times but still the same thing.

• Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    interface is down-means that is something wrong with layer 2, did you provide clock rate? and check if the cables are connect properly-Dce side to wic which provide clocking
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• Options
    this is my first time with live equipment. goes to show you its a bit different to sims. once I did the clock-rate everything came up. I didnt realise you had to enable clock-rate for the interface to come up vs the sims where it says int is up when no clockrate is enabled :)

thanks for the help i would be stuffed without it :)

• Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I THINK if you are able to go into configuration mode for a particular interface then that means the IOS version recognizes the hardware/card and it is ready for use.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mattau wrote: »
    this is my first time with live equipment. goes to show you its a bit different to sims. once I did the clock-rate everything came up. I didnt realise you had to enable clock-rate for the interface to come up vs the sims where it says int is up when no clockrate is enabled :)

Learning is all part of the process. If you see "Administratively down" that means that a shut command has been issued on the interface. If you see just "down" that means that it is physically not getting connectivity in some way/shape/form.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mattau wrote: »

This is also primarily one of the reasons I advocate real hardware for a personal lab, though I've been using emulators lately alot more for small proof of concept labs
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is also primarily one of the reasons I advocate real hardware for a personal lab, though I've been using emulators lately alot more for small proof of concept labs

I agree, personally because of my money issue when I started my CCNA course, I used sim lab to practise my skills, but when I had a opportunity I bought real hardware, and even if I was already familiar with it, I found some problems at the beginning. But still use sim to practise as well.
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka