Options

How do you know

milanchatterjeemilanchatterjee Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All
I would like to know one thing. I would soon be appearing for the CCNA 640802 Exam. Since the cost is too high, I would want to be fully prepared.

How do I know, when I am fully prepared?

Thanks and regards...........

Milan Chatterjee

Comments

• Options
    chXchX Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I would recommend having a read over the exam criteria here:
    640-802 CCNA - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

If you can do most/all of those, then you're definitely in a good place. Just keep revising and doing labs until it becomes second nature.

What study materials are you currently using?

I'd also recommend that you don't rush it. I rushed, and studied for both my CCENT and CCNA within a month or so. I passed with flying colours and got a great score, but a few months down the track I've already forgotten a few bits and pieces. That's because I didn't spend long enough with some of the material.

Now I'm starting my CCNP ROUTE studies and trying to revise my CCNA stuff at the same time.

I think you'll just "know" when you're ready, as I certainly did. Try some practice exams and see how you fair.

I also found myself thinking up weird and abstract questions, things which aren't usually done in a certain way - but I always wanted to know "what if" you did it like that. It helps reinforce the core concepts. If you ever find yourself stuck with these sorts of questions, don't hesitate to post them up here. I did, and it helped. :)

Good luck with the exam!
    2019 Goals:
    [ ] Recertify CCNA
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    if you can get 75% on the tests that come with the cisco press books you are ready to go.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    chX wrote: »
    I'd also recommend that you don't rush it. I rushed, and studied for both my CCENT and CCNA within a month or so. I passed with flying colours and got a great score, but a few months down the track I've already forgotten a few bits and pieces.

Personally I think that is going to happen no matter what. You can use Cisco gear all day long at work and you still aren't going to remember every topic in detail. I doubt many people can list the differences between all the STP protocols 6mo to a year after taking the CCNA even if they work in a purely switched enviroment. And I don't think anyone really expects you to recall ALL the details. In the example of STP I think its ok to just know that there are differences and you should look into the details before setting the protocol or patching the switch into the network.

There is only one true way to know if you are fully prepared and that is to look at your grade after the exam is over. A good indication though is if you can pass through the testing simulators twice with passing marks (I'd shoot for an 85% or higher on the CiscoPress CDs). I waited until I was scoring a 90% or higher 3 times in a row using the entire pool of testing questions. This also forced me to find all the errors in the test simulator which helped reinforce certain topics for me.

I found the hardest part of the exam was getting over how the test was laid out (very poorly, IMO). It would have been much easier had I had a real rack of gear in front of me. I failed the exam the 1st time mostly because I was not expecting that kind of testing enviroment. The next time I was ready for it and passed and my other Cisco exams since then have gone much smoother.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    if you can get 75% on the tests that come with the cisco press books you are ready to go.

75% only? I don't think that will be good enough, especially when you need at least 83-85 to pass the exam. My criteria was to have 95% and above for any cisco academy test, and finally I landed with 91% in my real CCNA exam.
    exam is tough! so you need to be prepared as much as possible. Don't forget about LAB, I heard that even if you know 100 % of theoretical question and you failed on lab questions you failed any way.

Good luck!
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka