Options

How far is your testing center?

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    And today I just realized my nearest testing center closed... So now I need another 10 minutes (looking like a 45 minute drive one way now) to get there.

Boy do I miss south FL... I was right next to 2-3 testing center 5 minutes away...
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got three with in 15 minutes. But one of the places is a black hole of failure and wasted money. I don't want to say the place is cursed but it's caught on fire three times in the last nine years.

Needless to say I pay extra (parking) to go to the others, which are both on college campuses. I'd almost say it was worth all the studying to just grab a water after the test, decompress, and enjoy the scenery.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    two within 10 miles. If i'm taking a test on a week day I use the closer one. If i'm going on a weekend, I use the one downtown.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    I used to have one only a few mins from where I live, sadly its no longer there. Now the closest one is 45min drive, it sucks.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Prometric is FOUR hours away... I couldn't believe it. Pearson Vue ~1.5 hours.

That's $150-$300 in gas, food etc. these next few months.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was a quarter mile away. Now it's 95 miles away. icon_sad.gif I found out over the weekend from a friend that works there that dealing with Prometric was a huge hassle because they wouldn't pay them worth a crap, and morons kept harassing their receptionist about scheduling exams. So, I've got 3 more exams to MCSE and then 3 more to upgrade to MCITP:EA. Hopefully my employer will reimburse me for mileage.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    18 miles for Prometric
    0.75 miles for VUE

I was getting extremely frustrated with the Microsoft situation when I first started updating my MCSE to 2003 as the exams were allotted a lot of time. Microsoft used to have a testing center at their office open to the public, but they closed it to all except MS employees. Ever since Microsoft went Prometric-only, it has been a pain.

Oh well, I am done with MS exams for a while, unless I decide to do the Exchange stuff.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    There is a community college with a Vue/Prometric testing center about 20 miles from me. It's mostly freeway and a very fast drive on a Saturday morning, which is when I prefer to take my cert exams.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slightly off topic, but have any of you ever tried convincing a school or company to be a testing center? I've got a friend that's a sys admin at a local community college, and I'm checking with him to see if they might be open to doing it. I would think that a community college would be a bit more stable than the consulting business that was doing testing on the side (and primarily for their own employees).
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    1.1 miles to my testing center. They do Prometric and Pearson Vue and when I went over the weekend to do my 70-680 exam they confirmed they had someone from WGU take proctored exams there as well incase I don't like the webcam function.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    mscott45mscott45 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I run a UK Pearson Vue testing centre. Most of the people who come to us are within a 1-2 hour drive. We had someone this week whose next exam has to be in Holland!
  • Options
    Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i live 5 hours away from the testing center. 308 miles from my house.
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was happy that my new test center is like 15 minutes away from home but ops it was removed from Prometric and now I had to go to another city which is like 30 minutes away. Still better though than crossing to another country.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mine was about 60 miles. There were closer ones that I tried but their equipment was archaic and went down several times during tests. Moving in 2 weeks and haven't checked where nearest test centers are to where I'll be. There should be some within a 30 minute drive, though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    lwwarnerlwwarner Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    AkiiiAkiii Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vue 25kmes in the deep of Paris
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just scheduled my test for where I'm moving and nearest test center is 20 miles. Only 2 Prometrics in the whole city and only this one gives MS exams. This site also does Vue.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to have an exam center at my local community college about 20 minutes away and another exam center at a community college in a neighboring county 30 minutes away but sadly they have both closed and I now have to make a 3 hour round trip . . .
  • Options
    peakbagger66peakbagger66 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a center about 5-8 miles away, but my for my last few tests, scheduling conflicts took me to one that's 28 miles away. I kind of like that, because I get reimbursed for mileage...
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but have any of you ever tried convincing a school or company to be a testing center? I've got a friend that's a sys admin at a local community college, and I'm checking with him to see if they might be open to doing it. I would think that a community college would be a bit more stable than the consulting business that was doing testing on the side (and primarily for their own employees).

I know the teacher that used the run the testing center at my local community college, he said he shut it down a few years back due to a lack of cash to pay a proctor.

I might try to talk him into trying to start it up again as the other local testing center closed meaning that the testing center might get enough business to keep it afloat.
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    [Reviving old thread rather than starting a new one]

I was wondering about this. I have multiple Pearson VUE testing centers local to me, but I'd have to travel 40-50 miles to a Prometric location icon_sad.gif
    :lol:
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    20 minutes by car.

Though I am told a new testing centre has opened in my local town which means it's less than 4 miles away!
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right around the corner, ten minutes walk from my apartment. Its a Global Knowledge Center
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, this is an old thread! I have moved since I posted this. My testing center is only a 10 minute drive now. Which is much better than a 70+ mile trip.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    I chose 11-25 because that's the center I go to. I prefer to test on weekends and it is the only one open on Saturday in my area. If i went during the week, I have several within 10 miles and one within 5.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have several within a few miles from where I live. I generally go to one that is about 10 miles away since I know the guy at the test center and it makes the check-in process so much easier. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I lived in Colorado, I would drive 130+ miles one way to the nearest Vue/Prometric testing center. Exams were normally a full-day affair.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    1 hour away icon_sad.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    About five Vue's and one Prometric within a 10 mile radius. Not sure on the Certiport, though. I love the fact that two of the Pearson Vue testing centers are open on Friday/Saturday (and one is even open Sudays) so I don't have to take time off work during the week.
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    It seems Pearson Vue is more prolific. I wonder if that says anything about how easy Prometric is to do business with.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2