Options

Help me build a rack!

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
Right now I'm using an wal-mart entertainment center for my equipment, but I'd like to put it all in this: Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.

I know the skeletek models are very popular...will the rack I linked hold my 4U server? I just measured it and it is 21" deep, standard 19" width. It's the depth I'm worried about....I don't want it tipping the thing over. It'll be mounted on the bottom. Do I need additional mounting hardware for any of my equipment? I uploaded a pic, but as I'm writing this post I don't know for certain it will make it onto this thread. I have a 4U server, 1 switch, and 2 non rackmount routers (1721s). I'm planning on getting a 3550 within the next few months.

Right now I have $220 to spend. I'd like to buy (now, or soon when tax money comes in) the following:

• patch panel
  • rack mount serial panel for console connections (don't know what this is called exactly)
  • rack mount power strip
My 1721s will be sitting on top of the Catalyst 2950 since they are not rack mountable. I appreciate any advice, particularly where to get anything on my shopping list from (preferrably as cheaply as possible). Also any pitfalls you see with this plan. Don't assume I know something that seems obvious. This is a first experience for me.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ehnde wrote: »
    I know the skeletek models are very popular...will the rack I linked hold my 4U server? I just measured it and it is 21" deep, standard 19" width. It's the depth I'm worried about....I don't want it tipping the thing over. It'll be mounted on the bottom.
    Get one of the 4 post Skeletek racks.
    Do I need additional mounting hardware for any of my equipment? I uploaded a pic, but as I'm writing this post I don't know for certain it will make it onto this thread. I have a 4U server, 1 switch, and 2 non rackmount routers (1721s). I'm planning on getting a 3550 within the next few months.
    You'd get rackmount trays for the non rackmountable equipment like the 1721s or just put them on top of something that is fairly large and rackmounted like the 3550.

Does your server come with the rackmount kit? Do your routers and switches come with the rackmount ears so you can rackmount it?

Don't forget to buy rackmount nuts that fit into the rack itself and the associated bolts. You'll probably want to get a rackmount tool to pop out the nuts as well if the rack doesn't come with one as otherwise it can be really tricky to do with just a screwdriver.

Its not something you buy but ask a friend or family member for some help when you do first get the rack as mounting some of the heavier items will be significantly easier and safer if you have somebody to help you.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm a big fan of CablesAndKits.com. They have treated me well and calling them is a pleasure since they can usually answer any of my dumb questions icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Does your server come with the rackmount kit? Do your routers and switches come with the rackmount ears so you can rackmount it?
    My one switch didn't come with rackmount ears, so I'd need to buy a set, right?
    Don't forget to buy rackmount nuts that fit into the rack itself and the associated bolts.

I'm not sure if they maybe throw in some of the additional mounting hardware I'd be needing:
    What is included:

- Free 5 pairs of combo brackets for 2500/2600 routers included.
    - Each 16U Skeletek Rack includes: 8 sets of cage-nuts (4 per set). One set used for each device.
    - All assembly screws, bolts, nuts, washers included. 2 socket wrenches. Assembly instructions

I'll have to look long and hard at the different racks available for purchase. It's hard to tell as a newb exactly what you're getting. The 4 post racks are quite a bit more than I had thought I'd be spending, meaning I'll have to delay getting any other equipment for now if I go that route. The lowest cost 4 post rack I saw was the C16U-4P-EX8 Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories. which comes out to $215.07 with shipping. It's only 16U, but from the item description it's expandable.

If possible I'd like to spend less than that. I'm going to look on ebay and scour the internet for a better deal.
  • Options
    My one switch didn't come with rackmount ears, so I'd need to buy a set, right?
    Yes. Its just two brackets which screw onto the sides of the switch or device and then you bolt it into the rack. The brackets are generally specific to that device since there is no standard as to where and what the attachment is from the bracket to the device itself.
    I'm not sure if they maybe throw in some of the additional mounting hardware I'd be needing:
    Looks like it comes with enough cage nuts and bolts for what you've currently got. It doesn't come with the tool but you can do it with a screwdriver anyway so not a big deal.

I think you can upgrade a 2 post Skeletek to a 4 post Skeletek at a later point. You'll have to dig around on the website for more information on that or wait for somebody who has purchased one to tell you.

I do know that there have been several revisions of the Skeletek line so be careful about what you're buying on eBay. You don't want to end up with several parts which are for different versions of the rack.
  • Options
    I just bought one of these: 15-Amp 6-Outlet 19-Inch Rackmount Power Strip w/Surge Protection - SPN064-15TL for $24.95 | WeirdStuff Warehouse but I got it off of ebay a little cheaper. As you can see the power cord is not the standard 110v type. I need an adapter. Anyone know what these adapters are called or where to buy them?

Also got a 12 port patch panel for $10 :D

I emailed the folks at Dantrack to find out if my 21" deep 4u server would fit ok if I mounted it at the bottom....waiting to hear back from them or someone on techexams who has bought the model I'm looking at to know if it will work. Here is the link to the model I'm considering again: Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
  • Options
    I just bought one of these: 15-Amp 6-Outlet 19-Inch Rackmount Power Strip w/Surge Protection - SPN064-15TL for $24.95 | WeirdStuff Warehouse but I got it off of ebay a little cheaper. As you can see the power cord is not the standard 110v type. I need an adapter. Anyone know what these adapters are called or where to buy them?
    Its a NEMA L5-15P plug and you find them in some datacenters. Can you not buy a normal US plug and fit it to the cable yourself? No idea about regs if you do this so don't do this if you're unsure or know that it won't be able to cope with the current from your gear!

We use "Commando" plugs in the data center at work to connect the PDUs and everything plugs into those with IEC plugs. Its all fed by the UPS in the basement and the diesel generator aka Who left this truck engine up here? on the roof.
  • Options
    mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be able to get a recepticle at a home center like Home Depot or Lowe's. Worst case they are available at the local electrical supply if you can change a wall recepticle.
  • Options
    Its a NEMA L5-15P plug and you find them in some datacenters.

Great! Now when I go to Lowe's as mbarra suggested there is a name I can put to what I'm looking for :D