Options

Im getting confused about the DNS Zones

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
I hear Primary and Secondary DNS Zones

Im reading that they are not limited to domains cause one zone can have the parent domain and one of its child domains and another child domain of the parent domain to be in a different zone

Are these zones use for replications???? And these DNS zones are in a Server that supports DNS correct and more than one zone is used for fault tolarence???
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A zone is more like a section of a domain. These sections can be divided in different ways. I always think of zones as logical areas of administrative control.
  • Options
    im still confused though cause I was reading Microsofts website and it included a child domain part of the zone of the parent domain while another child domain was in a totally different zone altogether
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that explain about zone delegation.
    ex : the ms.com have 2 child domain : dev.ms.com and sales.ms.com
    the dev.ms.com totally on different zone because it has a delegation from the root to maintain the zone database on its own and can have an independent DNS server, and the sales.ms.com below the ms.com because it still be maintain by the root zone.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    that explain about zone delegation.
    ex : the ms.com have 2 child domain : dev.ms.com and sales.ms.com
    the dev.ms.com totally on different zone because it has a delegation from the root to maintain the zone database on its own and can have an independent DNS server, and the sales.ms.com below the ms.com because it still be maintain by the root zone.

so this zone because it does delegation is a Primary Zone just like the zone in the parent domain and has the same Active Directory database?

well maybe not the same Active Directory database cause the child domain will contain an Active Directory database for all the accounts of users, computers and other information that are part of its domain!

Im I correct???