Options

B&M or WGU for my masters...

jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
First a little about me:
I currently work on the desktop team of a fortune 500 corporation. My team (there are 9 of us) handle group policy, antivirus, data encryption (my area currently), final core application support, and the global standard build process. Most pilot testing begins with us also.

I just finished my BS:IT from WGU and am looking at getting my Masters degree. I was initially leaning towards the WGU MS security program but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards an MBA.

My reasoning is that an MBA degree crosses disciplines and will open up a second completely different set of doors in my career as opposed to a security emphasis which is just an enhancement of my existing IT skillset.

I'm also over 40 with about 15 years experience in IT so it's about time I considered the move into management as opposed to the day to day techie work and an MBA would help with that transition.

Below are the variables I am considering. Does anyone see anything I missed?

Pro's for WGU:
Much more affordable
Fits my schedule
Earn my degree much faster

Cons for WGU:
MBA program not AACSB accredited
Not even remotely respected by my employer (Fortune 500 company)
Would be paid 100% out of my own pocket

Pro's for B&M
Respected by my current employer
Probably more recognized by future employers if I get laid off
Much better networking opportunites
Employer would probably pay at least part if not all of the costs.

Cons for B&M
working while I take classes will really really suck. I would be looking at about a 90 minute roundtrip commute at least once or twice a week.
3-4 times more money if my employer doesn't come through
Time. I'm looking at 2-3 years to complete the program as opposed to possibly a single year with WGU.

Comments

• Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The non-accreditation really turns me off the WGU's MS program. Just my 2c, I wouldn't want to deal with that really...
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jt, hopefully I can redeem myself in your eyes in this thread...lmao. Seeing as we're in the same boat though, I think we might have similar thinking in regards to this....

I won't go into a what's better, B&M or WGU type of deal...I'm only sharing my own conclusions...some people have the same mindset as I do, others don't. All of you are cool in my eyes. :)

Personally, I have weighed the benefits of obtaining a Masters (and it will most likely be an MBA at that, for exactly the same reasons you gave). I have stated (in fact you can search for that) a couple of times why I wouldn't consider WGU for an MBA, precisely because it's not AACSB accredited. Because most MBA part-time programs are around three years to complete, I don't see that as a con. I don't need to run a hurry-up offense for the Masters like I'm doing with WGU. Plus, another pro to going to a B&M may be the type of contacts you might meet that could be a lead to a potential job. That's why I'm personally looking at two schools I normally wouldn't because of price (NYU and Seton Hall) on top of Rutgers and NJIT (NJIT would be for the MS in Management though).

If you're gonna go the B&M route, the AACSB accreditation is important if you EVER want to be an adjunct...(the easiest ~$3k+ you could earn for teaching one night a week for 4 months...) I have hooks that can land me the gigs....I just need the Masters...lmao! You would still have your day job, or could "work" in retirement teaching a bunch of youngins....

Whatever B&M you decide, make sure it's respectable/sellable.
  • Options
    I am really leaning towards B&M. As to the time, its not that I'm in a hurry. I've only been in my current position for 2 years and would be another 3-5 before I would probably even be considered "seasoned" enough for an actual management position.

3 years of the commute to class is what I'm really dreading. Well, that and having to sit and listen to a bunch of other students try to kiss the professors ass for an A...lol.
  • Options
    try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The accreditation is very important to consider. My wife aspires to be a sonographer, and ended up not going to one of these specialized schools. This particular school promises a high chance of employment after completion, but has numerous reviews on people getting jipped off since they weren't accredited to begin with. These people couldn't get jobs, as if no accreditation=no training. This is a way different situation, but I just wanted to emphasize that accreditation.

I think the benefits of a B&M outweighs WGU in this case. Your education at the B&M will be accredited, respected by your employer and perhaps any other, and if it gets even partially paid for that is awesome! That MBA will totally make you stand out even more. That was my 3 cents

@erpadmin - whoa! I want to go to NYU too man! I'm planning to apply for the MBA by the 1st application deadline date 11/15/11!
    --WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
    Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
    INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
    Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
    ==================
    >> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
    (I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)
  • Options
    dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jtoast, I too think the accreditation is very important to consider (although you can get burned there too). There are programs out there that are less then three years and I would start shopping around some. There was a really good thread in this forum that outlined all of the different B & M colleges/universities that offered online or remote distance learning.

The main thing is don't short change yourself looking at the time up front, a little more now time invested now can pay large dividends over a lifetime. Like another poster said, you can always jumping into a teaching position if you need too.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jtoast wrote: »
    I am really leaning towards B&M. As to the time, its not that I'm in a hurry. I've only been in my current position for 2 years and would be another 3-5 before I would probably even be considered "seasoned" enough for an actual management position.

3 years of the commute to class is what I'm really dreading. Well, that and having to sit and listen to a bunch of other students try to kiss the professors ass for an A...lol.

For a Masters, a B&M route isn't a bad deal if circumstances are right...all of the schools I'm considering aren't that far of a commute. Assuming I have like two night classes a week, and some summers, I can adjust my work schedule accordingly...and if it's for a Masters, it can and will be accomodated.

Also, I have not totally dismissed the B&Ms that have an online component, but I have to see if it's financially feasible. If it amounts to a few grand more, I'm better off sticking with the off-line. But for a Masters, a name school means a lot, and the schools that I mentioned are well known in this region (and arguably around the country).

try2pingit wrote: »
    @erpadmin - whoa! I want to go to NYU too man! I'm planning to apply for the MBA by the 1st application deadline date 11/15/11!

I have no problem applying to NYU...at the very least, it will validate that my time spent at WGU was very well worth it. I can swing applying there as I have a colleague who is close to "ABD" in her Ph.D program at NYU so she will be a decent letter of reference, plus my boss, plus his boss. Beautiful thing is it's a PATH train away from my job....I'm there in +/- 30 minutes...though I would make sure I left the office by 4-5. It's a 30/70 shot that I would actually attend...but unlike my attempts at a Bachelors, I have to think very, very carefully of how I choose my program, and more importantly, how it's financed. Once/If I start, I will finish. What's also important is that the program has to have a strong IT emphasis. I won't do an MBA if it's strictly finance.
  • Options
    The accreditation is very important to consider. My wife aspires to be a sonographer, and ended up not going to one of these specialized schools. This particular school promises a high chance of employment after completion, but has numerous reviews on people getting jipped off since they weren't accredited to begin with. These people couldn't get jobs, as if no accreditation=no training. !

My wife completed an accredited sonography course 3 years ago and has yet to find a job in sonography. That was $16K down the drain. She's now working for hospital in an IT position.

My wifes problem is that we couldn't relocate due to my job and the school had long since flooded the area with sonography graduates.
  • Options
    try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jtoast wrote: »
    My wife completed an accredited sonography course 3 years ago and has yet to find a job in sonography. That was $16K down the drain. She's now working for hospital in an IT position.

My wifes problem is that we couldn't relocate due to my job and the school had long since flooded the area with sonography graduates.

Does she have the ARDMS certification? Being registered is the key to the doors. Check this out: Credentials & Examinations

As far as the commute, you could always register at a B&M and take online courses to balance it out.
    --WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
    Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
    INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
    Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
    ==================
    >> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
    (I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)
  • Options
    Does she have the ARDMS certification? Being registered is the key to the doors. Check this out: Credentials & Examinations

As far as the commute, you could always register at a B&M and take online courses to balance it out.
    No, thats her problem. Her school was fully accredited but was a certificate not an AA which means she can't sit for the exams until she has a years actual experience. Unfortunately ARDMS certification is required for all the jobs in this area so there is no way for her to get this experience. She was class validictorian and couldn't even get an unpaid internship without that certification. Catch 22.

She has pretty much given up on the Sonography and is now focusing on a career in IT.

The B&M's in my area have very few online offerings. I'm still looking researching them. That will definitely be something I take advantage of if its offered.