Options

Anyone doing InfoSec for a fed agency?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
Just wondering if anyone here is currently working for a federal agency doing InfoSec type stuff.

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone here is currently working for a federal agency doing InfoSec type stuff.

What do you want to know? Your post is kind of vague as to the type of information you're looking for...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    What do you want to know? Your post is kind of vague as to the type of information you're looking for...

Yeah you are a little vague there.....
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sorry, I was in a hurry. I keep seeing federal InfoSec positions open up all the time and I wonder what type of tasks are security professionals handling. Descriptions seem to be a mix of monitoring, vulnerability assessments and policy related stuff. I would like to know how that translates to what they actually do on a daily basis.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Sorry, I was in a hurry. I keep seeing federal InfoSec positions open up all the time and I wonder what type of tasks are security professionals handling. Descriptions seem to be a mix of monitoring, vulnerability assessments and policy related stuff. I would like to know how that translates to what they actually do on a daily basis.

It depends on where you work... Each agency is a little different. While the majority of your day may focus on something like monitoring, you may find yourself on a Tiger Team and pulling temporary duty as a policy wonk. Also, the nature of your job may shift slightly as the leadership rotates in and out... Your current manager (i.e. senior leadership) may be leading the charge to secure data... but in three years, his replacement may want to focus on offensive stuff...

And that's just the general stuff. If you go somewhere specialized and work at NSA, CYBERCOMMAND, or DHS, you may find that the nature of the mission is no longer support...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    CrapMasterZeroCrapMasterZero Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□

I do IA for a fed agency providing security engineering support to make sure product gets through successful accreditation...but this is more part of systems engineering process (look up ISSE). Other IT stuff that goes on here include the general network monitoring, compliance testing etc.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was doing IA work until last week lol. But anyways I was doing it for several years.