Options

Computer for a Child

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
My son just turned 3. We're finding that he is becoming more and more comfortable using a computer, and we're considering getting him one of his own.

Just curious, those of you that have children, at what age did you get your kids their own computers?

MS

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My stepson is 6 and he uses either mine or my wifes laptop. Whenever I replace my computer (maybe within the next year depending) he will get my current laptop (we will probably set it up in the kids playroom and it will be VERY locked down).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote: »
    My son just turned 3. We're finding that he is becoming more and more comfortable using a computer, and we're considering getting him one of his own.

Just curious, those of you that have children, at what age did you get your kids their own computers?

MS

Our eldest is 3. He's very comfortable with computers starting his favorite games and what have you. We are regulating that now as it's all he wants to do which creates problems we can all do without indoors.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Our eldest is 3. He's very comfortable with computers starting his favorite games and what have you. We are regulating that now as it's all he wants to do which creates problems we can all do without indoors.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. We strictly limit the time our child spends on the computer as well.

Late last year I purchased my wife one of the HP TouchSmart All-In-One's, which is pretty much perfect for her. Our son took right to it and loves it. I'm very likely to get him one of those, but maybe the scaled down version from the one I purchased my wife.

MS
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I have a 3 4 and 6 year old, all 3 have been using a PC since last Summer, my youngest was 3 in June and on a PC in September

Flash games like NickJr get them learning the mouse also good for hand to eye co-ordination

If you can, try get hold of a keyboard that has lower case letter in it, I have even seen a book of multi coloured stickers that you can put over each key which looks awesome but I never did find where to get them from
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    My 6 year old has been using computers since he was about 4. I set up a computer exclusively for my niece....her mom wanted it locked down so she couldn't look at things she shouldn't. OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security is really handy for these situations :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My daughter got her first computer at 3. Nothing fancy, just a $50 beater off of ebay with a mouse, keyboard and monitor I had in the closet.

I'm glad I did get her started early. Even as early as second grade now, everything is moving online.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Crayon Physics Deluxe is a fun game for kids. I let mine play it on my tablet sometimes. Steam also has many others. Crayola also makes a nice keyboard. I think Target sells them.

crayola_eztype.jpg
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My son is 4 and he is pretty good with the computer from playing some of the online learning games. He has had his own laptop since he turned 3. No internet access yet though.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    ehnde wrote: »
    OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security is really handy for these situations :D

I've used OpenDNS before and it works great, unless you do a image search with Google...

It's great a blocking URLs but doesn't do anything for filtering out explicit images.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    What about something like an iPad? More sandboxed, you kind of get the computer experience but with a bit more control?
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    What about something like an iPad? More sandboxed, you kind of get the computer experience but with a bit more control?

I've definitely considered this, and I might go this route. The only thing I'm worried about is if he drops it or gets mad and throws it or something...

Kids can sometimes be a bit impulsive....

MS
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Aldur wrote: »
    I've used OpenDNS before and it works great, unless you do a image search with Google...

It's great a blocking URLs but doesn't do anything for filtering out explicit images.

I'm using OpenDNS + Astaro ASG (Home Edition). This seems to do more than enough filtering. You also get virus scanning as an added bonus.

I guess if you wanted to block image searches you would have to manually block images.google.com
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

MS

I built a system for mine when they were 3 and by 4 let them re-format and reinstall so they could go through the process.

I wasn't going to permit it until they were 5, but too much interest by age 3 and it was no an option to prolong their curiosity any further.

15 minute time limit and not every day at 3. By 5 for every 30 minutes of reading or outside play they could earn an extra 10 miuntes.

Your house, your rules, so whatever you decide, they'll think it is 'normal' and in the end you'll both have fun! :)

Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278

My 3 year old wanted to play with my wife's IPad, and she told him, no because it was dirty... Well he took the initiative to clean it himself, in the sink.... Yeah, between my wife crying and his older brother yelling at him for breaking mommy's Ipad, he now knows electronics are to be nowhere near water. He freaks out whenever you have a cup of water or anything liquid around the computer or Ipad. But that was a helluva an expensive lesson.

So lesson learned from all of this? Keep your kids away from IPad's and IPod's unsupervised until they are old enough to understand the basics of electronics, unless you like 600 dollar paperweights.
  • Options
    [QUOTE=WilliamK99;493394]My 3 year old wanted to play with my wife's IPad, and she told him, no because it was dirty... Well he took the initiative to clean it himself, in the sink.... Yeah, between my wife crying and his older brother yelling at him for breaking mommy's Ipad, he now knows electronics are to be nowhere near electronics. He freaks out whenever you have a cup of water or anything liquid around the computer or Ipad. But that was a helluva an expensive lesson.

So lesson learned from all of this? Keep your kids away from IPad's and IPod's unsupervised until they are old enough to understand the basics of electronics, unless you like 600 dollar paperweights.[/QUOTE]

Ouch... icon_pale.gif
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My 6 and 5 year olds love playing Angry Birds on my wife's ipod touch. I made sure to tell him early on what buttons NOT to click so he wouldn't be buying anything extra. He is a little too hooked on the game already.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Both mac and win7 have great parental controls. I found shuttlentouch pcs make a great kids pc
    -Daniel
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I'm using OpenDNS + Astaro ASG (Home Edition). This seems to do more than enough filtering. You also get virus scanning as an added bonus.

I guess if you wanted to block image searches you would have to manually block images.google.com

Google "strict safe search" will take it up a a few notches.

I use a combination of Open DNS, Hosts file blocking, and Firewall Keyword Blocking for our students. In addition students are required to use Google Strict Safe Search. That replaced Websense which I ran during our first 2 years. Websense had issues as it would sometimes stop filtering until the service was restarted. Between that and the cost I opted for Open DNS. Occasionally something will get through (usually an image), but they have also been taught how to handle those situations. Even then they are still mild, like a bikini shot. They are also constantly monitored while in class by myself or an EA. For home users nothing works better than an aware parent.

My son is now 8 and has had a computer since he was 3. I haven't had to do any filtering yet, but I am aware of what he does on the computer. He has been tools what is appropriate and what isn't and knows he will either lose the computer or get it locked down if he breaks those rules.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    Google "strict safe search" will take it up a a few notches.

I use a combination of Open DNS, Hosts file blocking, and Firewall Keyword Blocking for our students. In addition students are required to use Google Strict Safe Search. That replaced Websense which I ran during our first 2 years. Websense had issues as it would sometimes stop filtering until the service was restarted. Between that and the cost I opted for Open DNS. Occasionally something will get through (usually an image), but they have also been taught how to handle those situations. Even then they are still mild, like a bikini shot. They are also constantly monitored while in class by myself or an EA. For home users nothing works better than an aware parent.

My son is now 8 and has had a computer since he was 3. I haven't had to do any filtering yet, but I am aware of what he does on the computer. He has been tools what is appropriate and what isn't and knows he will either lose the computer or get it locked down if he breaks those rules.

Once I walked up behind mine while he was on the computer and in the google search box he had typed "boo" and was about to press the final "b" when I said "What are you going to search for?" He nearly wet his pants. I guess he was around 11.

Computer use is ALWAYS in a common area and limited in time. But we do no special filtering. While parents should not condone that kind of stuff, I think it is normal for kids to be curious. The PC is not the issue with him. It's getting him off the XBOX!
  • Options
    I've definitely considered this, and I might go this route. The only thing I'm worried about is if he drops it or gets mad and throws it or something...

Kids can sometimes be a bit impulsive....

MS

Know what you mean. But at the same time, who is to say he decides the computer is "thirsty" and gives the computer a glass or milk? No matter what route you may choose, at that age there are going to be risks. It's just going to put more pressure on you and your wife to try to reduce those risks as much as possible.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ...Computer use is ALWAYS in a common area and limited in time. But we do no special filtering. While parents should not condone that kind of stuff, I think it is normal for kids to be curious. The PC is not the issue with him. It's getting him off the XBOX!

I agree with the common room computer method.

I no longer filter content. I thought it would be a good idea and then changed my mind when I considered that my kids would be missing out on lessons of trust and honesty.

We discuss what is acceptable and what is not. The computers are in plain sight and at any point there is traffic through the area so it is pretty easy to see what someone is viewing. I can pull logs if need be if we stated we didn't want the machine used while we are away, but that's has not yet been an issue.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread reminded me of this:

One Laptop per Child

too bad you can not just buy one icon_rolleyes.gif

my son is 1 year and a half, still a bit young for computers icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    Not to get off topic but this is somewhat related to kids and computers/the interwebz. Kids now more than ever need to be taught that whatever they put on the internet, is now really part of their permanent record, and to think really long and hard about what they want to put/publish online and how open and accessible they want it.
  • Options
    Not to get off topic but this is somewhat related to kids and computers/the interwebz. Kids now more than ever need to be taught that whatever they put on the internet, is now really part of their permanent record, and to think really long and hard about what they want to put/publish online and how open and accessible they want it.

That is an important topic. This is where Facebook, etc. scare me.
  • Options
    That is an important topic. This is where Facebook, etc. scare me.

Facebook shouldn't really "scare" anyone, as it is becoming more of an everyday occurance, method of communication and somewhat of virtual "real estate" not just for people but for businesses. That being said there needs to be proper security set to your profile as well as some thought about what someone posts, uploads etc. My wife and I were talking today about high school kids (she's a hs science teacher) just don't think that employers actually look online to see if they can do some recon about potential employees. Something that you do at 18, 19, 20, whatever and post on Facebook can very much come back to haunt you if you try to apply for a job.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both of our kids (2 & 4) have our old laptops and we use most of the strategies already mentioned. I went ahead and changed the host to only allows access to Disney, PBSKids, and Nick. But then I took it a step further and installed vnc on both of them.

Yes there was a laziness factor involved, but it allows my wife and I to watch exactly what their doing.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□

This makes me think of this member: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/62388-just-curious-know-if-i-am-youngest.html

I wouldn't want my underaged kid signing up on internet forums using his first and last name as his alias.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My son is 15 months and already gets on my wife's mac and moves the mouse and types stuff into word.

I think I might get rid of most of the computer stuff when he gets older because I want him to get into sports. I know too many parents of overweight kids who play xbox all day. And the parent is upstairs playing games also
  • Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    I gave my 4 year old & 2 year old a computer recently. I am using Windows Live Family Safety as parental controls. Works well.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Options
    Facebook shouldn't really "scare" anyone, as it is becoming more of an everyday occurance, method of communication and somewhat of virtual "real estate" not just for people but for businesses. That being said there needs to be proper security set to your profile as well as some thought about what someone posts, uploads etc. My wife and I were talking today about high school kids (she's a hs science teacher) just don't think that employers actually look online to see if they can do some recon about potential employees. Something that you do at 18, 19, 20, whatever and post on Facebook can very much come back to haunt you if you try to apply for a job.

I guess "scary" wasn't the right word. I agree with what you are saying, but teenagers I know (and many adults as well) don't understand how permanent this information is, and what could happen with this information if someone gets a hold of their password. I am aware of someone who's ex placed a keylogger on their PC and now has all their information via. username and password. I'm not trying to fear monger, but I think in the future PIs who don't care how they obtain information will be using the Internet to data mine.