Options

Remote Shutdown of XBOX360.

2»

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Just make sure his bedroom is all on the same breaker. When it is time to go to bed just flash the power on him.

My dad used to threaten the same thing, as well as turn off the hot water if showers went too long.

Ahh, good memories :)

Ha, my dad used to threaten me with the same thing!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    The Remote Power Switch - Remote Reboot Device - shut it (or other devices) off by phone or Internet.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Options
    Ok, and when the time limit is dynamically expanded by parental permission so that he can play until 10:30 instead of 10:00 I have to get off my lazy @$$ and adjust the time. The answer must enhance my ability to stay in bed and not have to hear yelling (not angry yelling - just to communicate) and would ideally inhibit situations where he comes up later than he really should.

But it looks like there is some sort of web-based system that can be used for remote admin. So I think that solves the problem. If not the shutdown XBE file seems it will do the trick.

I think there's a list of options that you can go through. I have never been through them. But I expect that there's some options for weekend playing etc. When I go home for lunch, i'll get on my xbox and see.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Ok, and when the time limit is dynamically expanded by parental permission so that he can play until 10:30 instead of 10:00 I have to get off my lazy @$$ and adjust the time. The answer must enhance my ability to stay in bed and not have to hear yelling (not angry yelling - just to communicate) and would ideally inhibit situations where he comes up later than he really should.

That's awesome.
    Now get up and get daddy a beer.icon_cool.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'd actually go with the soft limit for the simple reason that the Xbox 360s (at least some of the not so recent ones) have had so many issues with the RROD (Red Ring Of Death for those who dont already know) with overheating issues and the like and boards going bad that I'd be a bit worried about messing around with the power.

The family option that is being mentioned would be preferable to me in this scenario
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    I've had the same xbox since the day at came out, I have only had to send it back once due to the Red Ring of Death.

There's a downside to having the 1st gen though... no HDMI port, only 1 USB on the back. I'm running the component cable out the back. Still gives me 1080p though.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's awesome.
    Now get up and get daddy a beer.icon_cool.gif

FINALLY! Someone gets the true purpose.
    No yelling, no grounding, no stress and I don't have to get up.

If this device could also mix me up a Casein protein shake - it would be perfect. This is why we need robots.
  • Options
    FINALLY! Someone gets the true purpose.
    No yelling, no grounding, no stress and I don't have to get up.

If this device could also mix me up a Casein protein shake - it would be perfect. This is why we need robots.

Jackpot. I knew I liked you for some reason.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I've had the same xbox since the day at came out, I have only had to send it back once due to the Red Ring of Death.

There's a downside to having the 1st gen though... no HDMI port, only 1 USB on the back. I'm running the component cable out the back. Still gives me 1080p though.

Yeah I've never had it and I'm coming up to 2 years on mine now. I know a fair few people though who have had it on newer consoles than mine so its always a consideration
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Yeah I've never had it and I'm coming up to 2 years on mine now. I know a fair few people though who have had it on newer consoles than mine so its always a consideration
    Your days might be numbered mate. heh heh. Just joking. If all else fails and they won't warranty it... take it apart. There's a few guides on tinters about the penny on the GPU...
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Your days might be numbered mate. heh heh. Just joking. If all else fails and they won't warranty it... take it apart. There's a few guides on tinters about the penny on the GPU...

This isn't about the red ring of death. This is about a man's quest to be lazy.

haha
  • Options
    This isn't about the red ring of death. This is about a man's quest to be lazy.

haha

Haha, I know. I think I've got it figured out for him though. I was just offering some friendly advice about the red ring of death to a fellow member.

But hey... if something can be done easily with minimal effort, I'm all about that. I keep on yelling at my fiance's cat to go and bring me a drink, it hasn't worked yet. icon_sad.gif
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Haha, I know. I think I've got it figured out for him though. I was just offering some friendly advice about the red ring of death to a fellow member.

But hey... if something can be done easily with minimal effort, I'm all about that. I keep on yelling at my fiance's cat to go and bring me a drink, it hasn't worked yet. icon_sad.gif

Try yelling at your fiance instead. Get them good and ready for marriage.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Purchase this device:

HearingAid.gif

* Posting because it's funny, not to prove any point.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mishra wrote: »
    Purchase this device:

* Posting because it's funny, not to prove any point.

The problem with that device is it posseses a negative Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF), which could result in shoes being thrown. This also increases the Marriage Interferance Factor (MIF).
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i had this issue

my solution was a little bit low tech

i went to the breaker box and flipped his breaker, no power no xbox
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are some surge protectors out there that come with a remote, I think Belkin makes a few models.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    michaelcox wrote: »
    The Remote Power Switch - Remote Reboot Device - shut it (or other devices) off by phone or Internet.

Nice...
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'd probably just attach the XBOX to a UPS with the ability to remotely power it down via IP, then write a script that checks an email address and parses it and either turns up or turns down a port based on the contents of the email. Then I could just email, and xbox goes off.

I'm one of those who's parents turned the power out when they wanted to make a point. If I progressed much beyond that point, it wasn't pleasant, so the power going out was usually enough of a hint.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My dad use to put on a bios password, lock the cable modem in a drawer or just take it to work with him (night shift). I went from a 3.5 GPA sophomore year to barely 3...thanks to being one of the early recipients of broadband.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???