Options

PowerEdge T110

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anyone have a T110 for an ESXI box? According to the official HCL, the T310 is supported but I want to know if anyone is running ESXi on one.

Comments

• Options
    wirerat wrote: »
    New Dynamips Server | AlwaysTheNetwork

Reference last sentence of blog.

+Rep

Awesome find. Thanks a ton. 379 basebuild, maybe $200 more for a few upgrades and it will be decent. I can't build a cheaper box.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Is EXSi a virtualization software?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Does anyone have a T110 for an ESXI box? According to the official HCL, the T310 is supported but I want to know if anyone is running ESXi on one.

Yes, I personally have one at home and run ESXi 4.1 on it. I also purchased one for work and run 4.1 on it as well. They are a nice server for R & D and home environment. At work we use it to run servers that we are testing. For some reason though, it randomly shuts down all the VM's and looses connection to the Vsphere. Mine at home never has this issue.

I used the dell version of 4.1 which has some dell specifics. Xeons in both.
  • Options
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Yes, I personally have one at home and run ESXi 4.1 on it. I also purchased one for work and run 4.1 on it as well. They are a nice server for R & D and home environment. At work we use it to run servers that we are testing. For some reason though, it randomly shuts down all the VM's and looses connection to the Vsphere. Mine at home never has this issue.

I used the dell version of 4.1 which has some dell specifics. Xeons in both.

Awesome. Do you run 1 or 2 for Vmotion?
  • Options
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean. I've never used Vmotion. We use 2 SAN's at work. Each disk on the SAN is mirrored, and we take weekly full backups to the other SAN. Our downtime is minimal if ones SAN fails, we just have to fire up the VM's from the other SAN.
  • Options
    LucasMN wrote: »
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean. I've never used Vmotion. We use 2 SAN's at work. Each disk on the SAN is mirrored, and we take weekly full backups to the other SAN. Our downtime is minimal if ones SAN fails, we just have to fire up the VM's from the other SAN.

Interesting.

VMware vMotion for Live Migration of Virtual Machines
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Our production environment has Vmotion on some boxes and High Availability on others. I've been looking into a lab setup for home to play with this and the T110 is currently at the top of my list. Check the links below.

vm-help.com - View topic - Dell PowerEdge T110, 8 gigs of RAM, VT on in BIOS, $650

VMware Communities: ESX4 on Poweredge T110?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uter, I looked at the link you posted and Vmotion looks like the way to go for most companies. That could be very handy. I don't think the owner would splurge on spending the money for that. They had a hard time spending the money on the T110 so we could have something for failover incase our main Dell ever went down.