Options

TSHOOT exam passed 100% and CCNP completed!

mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I did the BSCI, SWITCH and TSHOOT exams. So glad to have gotten 100% on the TSHOOT!

So if anyone needs any advice or tips on how to study for any of the exams, let me know :D

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great job! and congrats!icon_thumright.gif

So what study tools did you use and find most effective? How long did it take to study for this exam?
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Congrats on the pass! What materials did you use for your studies?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    For the TSHOOT, I didn't do much reading and didn't buy any more books for the exam. I just used the material from the switching and routing exams.

BSCI, I used the authorized self study guide and the official certification guide along with CBT nuggets.

SWITCH - official certification guide + CBT nuggets

TSHOOT - quickly scanning over different concepts in the previous guides and labbing the TSHOOT topology.

BSCI was the hardest, failed first time. SWITCH and TSHOOT, pretty easy really - especially if you're working with switches a lot on a daily basis.

Basically: official certification guides + CBT nuggets + lab time in Dynamips = success!
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Great job! and congrats!icon_thumright.gif

So what study tools did you use and find most effective? How long did it take to study for this exam?

Dynamips is definitely the way to go. Configuring routing protocols while having debug running on the routers is just the best. Then break the configuration of one of the sides, watch the debug and fix it again.

I took the TSHOOT 22 days after the SWITCH. If you've passed ROUTE and SWITCH fairly recently, the TSHOOT is fairly straightforward. Not easy, but there's nothing in there that will surprise you.
  • Options
    For the TSHOOT, I didn't do much reading and didn't buy any more books for the exam. I just used the material from the switching and routing exams.

BSCI, I used the authorized self study guide and the official certification guide along with CBT nuggets.

TSHOOT - quickly scanning over different concepts in the previous guides and labbing the TSHOOT topology.

BSCI was the hardest, failed first time. SWITCH and TSHOOT, pretty easy really - especially if you're working with switches a lot on a daily basis.

Basically: official certification guides + CBT nuggets + lab time in Dynamips = success!

wow so you didnt even read any TSHOOT books and scored a 100% ? correct me if i am wrong.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    Yeah, that's right. It's all hands on troubleshooting, which I've got lots of experience with in both a work and lab environment.

My quick tip for getting that perfect score is make sure you understand Cisco's PPDIOO as well as the ISO standard FCAPS.
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    You'll find thats not uncommon. Especially if the Route & Switch topics are still fresh in the mind.
  • Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass mate! Good score!
  • Options
    Yeah, that's right. It's all hands on troubleshooting, which I've got lots of experience with in both a work and lab environment.

My quick tip for getting that perfect score is make sure you understand Cisco's PPDIOO as well as the ISO standard FCAPS.

awesome, although i am already ccnp i find the tshoot appealing. However i got bigger fish to fry these days. Anyways thanks for the tips and congrats once again.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for all the congratulations!
  • Options
    chXchX Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and nice work!

I've just started my CCNP studies. Going with ROUTE first and using CBT Nuggets (haven't purchased any books or anything yet though).
    2019 Goals:
    [ ] Recertify CCNA
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    100% looks fishy, are you sure you didnt ****?

hehe, just kiddin congrats! ^^
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I see 100% and think cheater too. BUT I've actually been hearing Tshoot is a pass with great marks or fail with terrible ones. Suppose you either know it, or you don't!

So congrads!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I see 100% and think cheater too. BUT I've actually been hearing Tshoot is a pass with great marks or fail with terrible ones. Suppose you either know it, or you don't!

So congrads!

I know this guy personally, we used to work on the same night shift, and he definitely knows his stuff :)

Another friend of mine also got 100% without much studying. It is one of them things where if you know it, its hard to get a bad mark on it. I thought I did well getting a 932 and yet I'm the lowest out of the three of us now!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Congrats, I am studying for my Switch Exam then I will be going for the Route and then TShoot.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

To the guy that was asking about the book thing. It has been said here before during TSHOOT Beta days that TSHOOT book was pretty much useless in our studies. All you needed was BSCI and BCMSN knowledge and you can pass the exam. Though, I doubt that one can get 100% during those days without any knowledge about FCAPS and some other commands that weren't covered in BSCI and BCMSN.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783

Grats on the pass dude. Did you use the brand spanken new CBT SWITCH videos or the older ones ?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    zerglings wrote: »
    Congrats!

To the guy that was asking about the book thing. It has been said here before during TSHOOT Beta days that TSHOOT book was pretty much useless in our studies. All you needed was BSCI and BCMSN knowledge and you can pass the exam. Though, I doubt that one can get 100% during those days without any knowledge about FCAPS and some other commands that weren't covered in BSCI and BCMSN.

I have heard the same from my colleagues who have passed the exam, study for Route/Switch and then review the topology and take the test! FCAPS *should* be a piece of cake for any of the CCDA/CCDP credential holders.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    down77 wrote: »
    I have heard the same from my colleagues who have passed the exam, study for Route/Switch and then review the topology and take the test! FCAPS *should* be a piece of cake for any of the CCDA/CCDP credential holders.

If my memory serves me right, CCDA didn't go over FCAPS that much. I learned FCAPS during my Network Management class - Network Management Fundamentals was our book.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sorry if I sound off here, but it was mentioned twice in this thread. What is "the topology".

I haven't started Tshoot yet, so sorry if I missed something obvious.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Sorry if I sound off here, but it was mentioned twice in this thread. What is "the topology".

I haven't started Tshoot yet, so sorry if I missed something obvious.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/10965

Download the PDF in this link.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    esswokesswok Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6738

this link above has topology and a good demo of the test, but I also found a tshoot utube video I am not sure were that link is now though. It is by kevin wallace and is approved video by cisco. Now that video and the link above for the demo did have some difference. If you listen very close to kevin wallace he gives away a secret trick, which I did use on 1 of my tshoot exam question and it did work. (it does not work however in the demo).
  • Options
    MavMangeMavMange Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also scored 100% on the TSHOOT and had 45 minutes to spare. I was however studying into the IE level material though. The only useful material in the TSHOOT book was the theory in the beginning. The actual troubleshooting portion wasn't useful since you can't use debugs and 70% of the show commands.

They ended up giving me a free exam voucher since I reported 3 bugs in the exam. Just remember this is a simulator and don't trust the show commands unless you've also verified the running config.
  • Options
    neelkneelk Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    am completely out but well informative for me this forum