Options

Confusion about the MCDST Retirement (Website could be wrong)!!!!

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Yep, copy and paste the same typo over and over...

I hope you haves lucky on you MCDSTses when you takes thems.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope you haves lucky on you MCDSTses when you takes thems.

Tanks four de good wishers!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Poor Katherine! I got this earlier as well

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team.

We’re sorry for the confusion about the retirement date for the MCDST exams.

We happy to inform you that the retirement date for the MCDST exams 70-271 and 70-272 have been moved to June 30, 2011, candidates will be able to register and take the exams until June 30, 2011. Certifications you have earned remain valid even if qualifying exams have been retired. When an exam you passed is retired, your transcript retains the record of the exam and identifies the exam as retired.

To know more about the retiring exams , please visit the Exam Development page.

If you have further questions regarding Microsoft certifications, please contact us again. Have a great day!

We hope the information we are providing in this email addresses your question. Please contact our Microsoft Certification Guidance Team for additional guidance regarding technical certification and training. You may email us directly at mscgt@microsoft.com, or visit our Microsoft Learning website.

Thank you,
    Katherine Navarro
    Microsoft Certification Guidance Team
    mscgt@microsoft.com
  • Options
    AjP69AjP69 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone tried to book this exam after March? Looks like there are no seats in UK after 31st March and prometric have not been informed of the extension.

After speaking to them yesterday and pointing them to http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...-dev.aspx#tab4 I got this email:

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that, as per the recent update, the Microsoft exam (70-272) will retire on March 31, 2011. However, the candidates are being allowed a grace period till June 30, 2011.

Also be informed that the availability of test dates after March 31, 2011 cannot be guaranteed and will be entirely based on test site and seat availability.

You may visit the link http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...-dev.aspx#tab4 to review the list of exams, which are due to retire.

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us if any further assistance is needed

Sincerely,

Candidate Care
    Prometric
    Noorderwagenplein 6
    8223 AL–Lelystad
    The Netherlands

but I am still unabe to get a seat in a testing center after 31st march!!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Man, once there is one screwup it just snowballs..lol
    Hopefully prometric resolves this.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Are other seats for other tests available after March 31st? Over here in the US, most (if not all) prometric testing centers only let you schedule 6 weeks out for any test.

6 weeks from today is March 31st.
  • Options
    I checked the website this am, and saw that 271/272 aren't offerd after 3/31. So I went ahead and contacted both MS & Prometric. Prometric says that the exam retires on 3/31 and they get their info directly from MS. MS says that don't have any control over what Prometric offers.

I'll wait to see if it works itself out before I get a little more "assertive".
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    I checked the website this am, and saw that 271/272 aren't offerd after 3/31. So I went ahead and contacted both MS & Prometric. Prometric says that the exam retires on 3/31 and they get their info directly from MS. MS says that don't have any control over what Prometric offers.

wait a second. whattt?!

just sent emails to MCP help and MS Cert guidance team. we'll see what happens.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    good to know, but i still plan on having mine done before 3/31 regardless

Mike,

The 70-271 is very similar to the 70-270 (XP Professional Support) exam. But the 70-272 is a really tough exam. There were a lot of questions related to every configuration you can imagine for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. In fact the 70-272 was so tough, it took me two attempts to pass it.

Nevertheless, my persistence paid off. I earned my MCDST in March 2004 and was one of the first 5000 people to do so. Microsoft awarded me a special "Early Achiever" certificate for earning the MCDST at that time.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

Paladin
    ISMS Architect and Data Center Manager
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    that sounds pretty sweet.. maybe I can get a late achiever for being one of the last to get it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options

Recieved 1/2 of my emails back that I sent out yesterday...icon_cheers.gif
    waiting on the second one from MS Cert guidance team.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for writing back to us.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused to you.

Microsoft is aware of the issue which you have been facing while scheduling the MCDST certification exams after march 31, 2011. Our team has already contacted Prometric in order to resolve the issue. We apologize again as at this time, we would not be able to provide the expected turn around time to resolve the issue.

We would suggest you to please wait for some time and then contact Prometric to schedule the exams.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Sachin
    MCPHelp@microsoft.com
    Online Computer Training | Computer Certification | Microsoft Learning

Message received date: 2/21/11
    Original sender: _______@gmail.com
    Case ID: BIS-7800218

If you need any further assistance with this specific query, please reference the Case ID above when contacting us.

Original Message Follows:
    Hi there. I just wish to inform you that on prometric's website, no exam dates for 271 and 272 are offered past march 31st. This must be a mix up of the old retirement date.
    Any idea on when this can be resolved? thank you.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    I meet your email and raise you one that says the exact opposite! I got this from Blake this afternoon

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team.

I understand that you are trying to take the exams 70-271 and 70-272; unfortunately these exams are set to retire on 03/31/2011. You can view the information where this is listed on the MCDSP Certification Requirements page. Below I have sent a basic overview of the Windows 7 certifications. For more information on each exam, please click on any of the exam numbers below. From the overview page, if you click the third “Preparation Materials” tab, you can view available training materials specific to each exam.

If you are interested in classroom training, please use our Class Locator search tool to locate training centers in your area. When you are ready to register for the exam, please contact Prometric testing. If you have any further questions about these certifications, please let me know. Have a great day!

We hope the information we are providing in this email addresses your question. Please contact our Microsoft Certification Guidance Team for additional guidance regarding technical certification and training. You may email us directly at mscgt@microsoft.com, or visit our Microsoft Learning website.

Thank you,
    Blake Smith
    Microsoft Certification Guidance Team
    mscgt@microsoft.com
    |1.866.722.4982 | International: 00-1-425-296-9493

To register for a certification exam go to the Prometric website.
    To find a training center near you, use the Class Locator tool.
    To find other training providers near you, you can use the Solution Finder tool.

Certification Guidance Team: Chat hours of operation
    Monday through Friday, 5:30–17:00 (5:30 A.M.–5:00 P.M), Pacific Time Zone, continental United States
    Note At this time, support is available only in English.

Original Message

Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 8:12 AM

To: Microsoft Certification Guidance Team

Subject: When you were offline (via LivePerson)

[Which best describes your query?]

I am not Microsoft certified, but I would like to be

[Which country are you in?] UNITED STATES

I'm trying to schedule taking the 70-271, 272 but I noticed that Prometric isn't offering the exam after 3/31. The tests aren't supposed to retire until 6/31.
  • Options
    alotta confusion in this thread.
    So far i've recieved 2 emails confirming a june 30th date. as well as live chat confirmed a june 30th date. and my last email confirming a june 30th date as well as scheduling issues. so strange. i can guarrantee my next email can confirm this as well.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    alotta confusion in this thread.
    So far i've recieved 2 emails confirming a june 30th date. as well as live chat confirmed a june 30th date. and my last email confirming a june 30th date as well as scheduling issues. so strange. i can guarrantee my next email can confirm this as well.

One would hope but I would think MS would be all over Prometric for not offering the test after 3/31.
  • Options
    SmilezSmilez Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

I've just checked Prometric and it seems that they have the exam dates available now after 31st March.

Going by the guys below, it seems like there was a major confusion going on between Microsoft and Prometric

Prometric confirms March Retirement of MCDST - Page 4 - CertForums

Hopefully we should see exam dates appearing upto June,.
    :D
  • Options
    I just got this email from Prometric, I guess they realized that they were the problem!

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for contacting Prometric.

Please be informed that the Microsoft exam 70-271 and 70-272 are valid till June 31, 2011. In order to locate suitable test dates, you are requested to either visit the website Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment or you may contact Candidate Care Department in USA at 1-(800)-755-3926. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM Eastern time.

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us if further assistance is needed.

Sincerely,

The Webmaster Team/SR
    Prometric
    Canton Crossing Tower
    1501 South Clinton Street
    Baltimore, MD 21224
    USA
  • Options
    What a BIG relief. so many times have i felt that i should stop studying because of some screw up waiting to happen. time to hit the books!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got this email from Prometric, I guess they realized that they were the problem!

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for contacting Prometric.

Please be informed that the Microsoft exam 70-271 and 70-272 are valid till June 31, 2011. In order to locate suitable test dates, you are requested to either visit the website Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment or you may contact Candidate Care Department in USA at 1-(800)-755-3926. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM Eastern time.

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us if further assistance is needed.

Sincerely,

The Webmaster Team/SR
    Prometric
    Canton Crossing Tower
    1501 South Clinton Street
    Baltimore, MD 21224
    USA

Hello,

I will be any sum of money that you will not be successful in scheduling ANY exams on June 31, 2011.

(and I would win that bet... )

Paladin
    ISMS Architect and Data Center Manager
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    that sounds pretty sweet.. maybe I can get a late achiever for being one of the last to get it

LMAO

I am right there with you
  • Options
    I understand that you are trying to take the exams 70-271 and 70-272; unfortunately these exams are set to retire on 03/31/2011. You can view the information where this is listed on the MCDSP Certification Requirements page.

Dangit! I want my MCDSP certification!!!
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Dangit! I want my MCDSP certification!!!

The Microsoft Certified Dumb Stupid Person will never be retired.icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Registered an exam for april. yet my second email is from blake telling me its march and i should look into windows 7. haha poor fella.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Now that the 3/31 judgement day has passed, are people still able to register for these exams?
  • Options
    patrikapatrika Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed 70-271 today, so certainly not retired yet. I remember seeing on MS site earlier this year that the expiry would be end of June, so decided to go for it fast - month studying on few free moments after work, and done it is.icon_cheers.gif

Did this in reverse order, 70-272 passed two weeks ago.
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    Are they retiring the MCDST or just these two test? What exactly do they plan to do? I know MS is keeping XP around for businesses a bit longer, what's the plan here?
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    Are they retiring the MCDST or just these two test? What exactly do they plan to do? I know MS is keeping XP around for businesses a bit longer, what's the plan here?

Microsoft doesn't retire certifications (things have changed with their new ones, but it does not apply to the MCDST). What they do retire is the exams. Obviously, if you can't take the tests, you can't pass the tests, and thus can't become certified.

These exams retire at the end of June. After that date you will no longer be able to register for or take either exam.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I've found the 6/31 date listed several other places (one of them being, Born to Learn). So I'm going to wait a couple of days and try chatting with them again. Hopefully I'll get a different agent, who'll have a different/better answer.

Which year will there be 31 days in June?

Or does this mean the exam will never expire until the year June has 31 days?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dan101dan101 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I visited the Microsoft (Windows Client Certification | Windows Exams l MCDST) It states two dates one that have passed (March 31, 2011) and another one for June 30 2011, I was told a while back from the Microsoft Guidance team that the MCDST certification date is on June 30th 2011 and this would be the last day to write it. I wish they could have their act together and state in BIG RED BOLD LETTERS that the last day no matter what that the last for this exam (MCDST 70-271 and 70-272) is ON JUNE 30th 2011. I find the CompTIA website is a bit more organized about their exam then with Microsoft, they shouldn't playing around with peoples head here.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am scheduled for May 6th and May 7th, so it's def not March 31st
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    I've said it before and I am going to say it again:

All of you should really be questioning WHY you want this 8 year old cert that is about to have its exams retire and what you will get out of having the cert.

IMO you should all just be studying for the MCITPs on Win 7 and let your resumes show your skills on XP. If you really need an MCP on XP go for the 270 and then perhaps do the MCSA. But IMO the MCDST at this juncture is functionally dead with less htan 60 days to complete your studies and take your exams/retakes. The risk, to me, seems too high that one might fail and never be able to get the cert while having thrown away $125.00 in the process.

I know XP is still going to be around for a while. We still have it at my company, but all new systems are being deployed here with Win 7 now. And do you want to work for a company that insists on using 8 year old tech with no indications or desire to upgrade? No, no one does, so the value of the MCDST will do nothing but DECREASE from the moment it appears on your transcript.