Options

Frame Relay lab

impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
ok so I finally got most of my ccna lab gear delivered but I was wondering as to how I could get a Frame Relay Lab going.

Currently I have :

2 1721's running 12.4, 1 WIC-1T module in each of them
2 1721's running 12.4, 1 WIC- 1DSU-T1 in each of them

2 3550 (if that helps?)

From the info that I gathered I think I have these 2 choices :

Get another router with lots of serial ports and connect my 1721's to them using the db60 crossover cables. This would mean that I have to purchase 2 more WIC - 1T cards which I'm not looking forward to.

Purchase 4 WIC - 2T modules and connect the 1721's in a mesh like manner using the same db60 crossover cables.

I really would like to avoid buying any more modules mainly because of the charges that will be incurred just to get it to where I live. I've already paid $310 in shipping and custom charges just for the cisco gear that I mentioned above. So....I'm listening to any other available options that I have......if there are any.

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    The problem with connecting them all in a mesh is you've kind of defeated the point of Frame Relay then. The idea with Frame Relay is to have a physical circuit with multiple virtual circuits on it. Having a mesh just means you are doing 1 VC per physical circuit, at that point, what is the FR even there for?

I know it'll just be for practice, but if you get hold of say an old 3640 and get a 4 port serial NM card, or some old 2500 router with multiple serial interfaces, you'll be able to build a frame relay switch to connect them all up.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    2520 (4 serials) or 2522 (8 serials) models make great frame relay switches.

Bryant has a tutorial using 3 interfaces

Frame Relay Switch Configuration For Cisco Lab

You can also build a cloud over multiple routers, although that's a little tricky

Building a Compound Frame Relay Switch | INE

Good luck with your lab

:)