Passed CISA!

cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
Got the results a week early! Passed!

512....will post a follow up on study methods and materials shortly!
Next Up...
CCNA: Security (210-260)
Date: TBD

Comments

• redmondredmond Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Received my results too. Passed with 531. Next will be CISSP and CISM.
    I used ISACA CRM 2010 and the questions and supplement publised by ISACA.
    cabrillo24 wrote: »

510....will post a follow up on study methods and materials shortly!
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Great job! :D
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,021 Admin
    Congratulations on passing the CISA exam! icon_cheers.gif
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

510....will post a follow up on study methods and materials shortly!

Congrats cab!!! Well earned.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Any suggested reading for auditing in general?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    Thanks for the kind words. As I stated earlier, posting a more detailed account of my CISA Journy:

Date of Exam: 12/11/10
    Place of Exam: Richmond, VA
    Results Received: 1/28/10
    Results of Exam: Passed
    Attempt: First

Materials used:
    CISA AIO
    CISA AIO (Kindle Edition)
    ISACA Questions Database v10 (900 questions)
    CCCure Practice Exams (93 questions)
    Certified Information Security 2010 CISA SuperReview

Out of the material used, the Certified Information Security 2010 CISA SuperReview (certifiedinfosec.com) was probably my most valuable resource; however, it's a little pricey, I think it was $450. It wasn't my only resource, so I probably spent nearly $800 in study materials for this exam.

Without a doubt, the ISACA Questions Database is another great resource.

CCCure Practice Exam is another good resource but I believe they were limited to only 93 questions at the time I was studying for the exam.

As for what reading material to use. Even though I liked the CISA AIO, I'd probably read the official guide (which I am doing for the CISM exam). You can never go wrong with reading official guides, seeing as they are centered around the test itself.

I studied for about 2-3 hours a day for a 3 month window. CISSP experience definitely helps in terms of understanding certain concepts; however, where CISSP tends to focus on best practices, CISA tends to focus on the scope of an auditor and business objectives. It's almost hard to explain the difference to colleagues, but once you study for it, you'll understand the difference.

This test isn't as technical in nature as the CISSP, but I would still consider this a technical exam.

On the day of the exam I got there about an hour early. I stayed in the testing city the night before at a hotel that I reserved months in advance (paid in advance, got a great price and a great room). Once you arrive in the testing room, you cannot leave the room, so I would recommend you find out where your room is, take your time (within reason): go to the bathroom, finish off your breakfast, stretch etc.

I finished the exam in under 3 hours if I remember correctly. As you're taking practice exams, learn to pace yourself, as you don't get as much time as you did for the CISSP and time goes by very quickly.

I actually ended up receiving my results a week early. Just last week I had received an email from ISACA stating the results would be released the week of the 31st at the earliest. This was definitely a good surprise.

I was hoping for a higher score, but a pass is a pass. From what I've been reading the passing rate for this exam is under 50%.

I am now studying for the CISM which I will take in June.
    Next Up...
  • John.FeistJohn.Feist Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well that makes 3 of us that passed. I did better than I thought with plenty of room to spare. Main material was the ISACA Study Guide, Both the Question review and Supplemental, and the Question software Database. The QA Database being the most impact. I did take a 4 day course for lots of $$$ and found it to be minimal benefit.

Congrats to you and the other gentleman.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Awesome job and some great study tips that you posted. I still have to take the CISA this year and am planning to use the CISA AIO. From your experience and without breaking the NDA... did the AIO have any gaps that either were not covered or need clarification for subject matter.

Again, wonderful job!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    down77 wrote: »
    Awesome job and some great study tips that you posted. I still have to take the CISA this year and am planning to use the CISA AIO. From your experience and without breaking the NDA... did the AIO have any gaps that either were not covered or need clarification for subject matter.

Again, wonderful job!

I believe the AIO is sufficient, but I felt that it wasn't necessarily driven towards exam preparation. Seeing as I already passed the CISSP last year, I felt that I was going over a lot of redundant topics that weren't necessarily related to the exam, but giving the reader a background. As I stated though, I feel that the AIO is adequate; however, this time around for the CISM I'm going to utilize the official review manual.

I HIGHLY recommend that you get the CD/download questions from ISACA.
    Next Up...
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I came to the site to post about my CISA pass and noticed that there is already one running here.

Congrats to all other who have passed.

I got 537, and really did not have any idea of how well I had done, it took me by surprise. Glad to be over with it!
    Congratulations on passing the CISA exam too! icon_thumright.gif
    I believe the AIO is sufficient, but I felt that it wasn't necessarily driven towards exam preparation. Seeing as I already passed the CISSP last year, I felt that I was going over a lot of redundant topics that weren't necessarily related to the exam, but giving the reader a background. As I stated though, I feel that the AIO is adequate; however, this time around for the CISM I'm going to utilize the official review manual.

I HIGHLY recommend that you get the CD/download questions from ISACA.

I would 2nd cabrillo24's thoughts here. AIO should be more than enough to cover the domains, off course you can always use a reference but in my case I didn't. After taking the exam and especially after receiving the results I realized that it 'common sense' that will help you more than anything in this exam....as you might have heard about these exams that "there are no wrong answers".
  • justanotherdayjustanotherday Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CISA as well with a 581. I agree that knowing CISSP material helps alot as well as the using the CRM. I thought the CISSP was actually more difficult where I hear some people say it is the other way around.

I too am considering taking the CISM later this year.
    I passed the CISA as well with a 581. I agree that knowing CISSP material helps alot as well as the using the CRM. I thought the CISSP was actually more difficult where I hear some people say it is the other way around.

I too am considering taking the CISM later this year.

congrats man! that is good score. I am trying to find out what the maximum possible score is, does anyone know this?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good job! I keep procrastinating on this exam and when it is only available twice a year that's not a good thing.
  • darkladdiedarkladdie Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Max score is 800.
  • stiks47stiks47 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what percentage right did you guys/gals get on the CD rom practice questions before taking the exam? i'm all over the map from a low of 40% to a high of 80%, but average around 70%. I usually do 10 questions at a time. Thanks
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    stiks47 wrote: »
    what percentage right did you guys/gals get on the CD rom practice questions before taking the exam? i'm all over the map from a low of 40% to a high of 80%, but average around 70%. I usually do 10 questions at a time. Thanks
    I've never studied for the CISA/CISM exams, but on practice questions for any cert exam you should be scoring in the 90%'s the first time you take it to consider yourself ready for the actual cert exam. Practice exams are only teaching questions to help you learn the cert's objectives. Consider that the questions on the actual cert exam will be much more difficult.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JD normally I would agree with you, but I used the sample question database for CISA and at best, I scored 70-75% on those practice tests. They were useful I guess since I passed, bt damn frustrating for sure. I actually thought the test itself was a touch easier than the practice questions, and weren't near as nitpicky or deceptive or tricky. JMO.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • stiks47stiks47 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you both for your feedback. JDMurray, you had me super worried about a 90%. I don't think there would be any way for me to get that high. Colemic, I hope the test is more like you say.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just remember it is NOT easy, and I was referencing the ISACA study questions test engine, which was not cheap.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    And I was referring to practice exams that are constructed to be teaching aides to learn certification material. Practice exams that are attempting to simulate an actual certification exam will be purposely more difficult than necessary--unless it's a poorly written practice exam.

Remember, your primary goal when attempting any certification is to learn far more about the material than is necessary to pass the exam(s). Do this and you will not only easily pass, but you will be all the more knowledgeable in the cert's subject matter and retain far more of it after the exam is over. I have to remind myself of this from time-to-time as well.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828

This test isn't as technical in nature as the CISSP, but I would still consider this a technical exam.

Happy to see this as I thought that the CISSP was not technical enough. I will probably skip the CISA and CISM as I don't think I want to go down the management track. I will probably go for one of the CISSP concentrations.
    When studying for that exam I used the cccure quiz engine and was scoring around 70% all the time. When I got to the test I finished in less than 3 of the 6 hours and passed. I wish they would tell you your score when you pass.
  • rhaynalrhaynal Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also passed the CISA with a score of 528. I used the Sybex CISA Study Guide along with the ISACA Database. I thought the database was very helpful in that it not only went over objectives but gave experience in the type of questions that the real test uses.