desperately seeking advice

MbethMbeth Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am taking the Core exam very soon. I have the transcender practice exams (about 200 questions) and cram-exam2 practice tests (about 600 questions), a few books, and have been studying for about 2-3 weeks. I know that isn't much time, but that wasn't my choice.

Here is my concern: Although I am now scoring in the 90-92% range on the practice exams.... I've been taking them over and over again, so I've essentially memorized the questions and answers. I've learned alot but....

... I am concerned that the real test will have NEW questions that I won't know and therefore not pass.

Should I get more practice exams? or what? icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

How can you tell when you are ready?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You could check out the link section at the bottom of this page:
    www.techexams.net/co_apluscore.shtml and see if you can find some practice exams you haven't done before.

If you memorized 800 questions (especially those from transcenders and examcram2) and you understand why the correct answers are the correct answers, you'll probably do fine on the real exam as well. After all these practice questions you probably have a good idea on what your weak areas are, so use the time you have left to focus on those.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Mbeth,

Depending upon 'why' there is a rush to test, you may wish to walk through a store (even an on-line store) and look through hardware components see if you are able to explain what things are and how they are used and why you know it is what it is (ex: a video card, how can you tell an AGP, PCI, PCI-Express, On-Board and describe it in words not just recognize them visually).

That will get you through some of the hardware or perhaps make you more confident with hardware.

As far as the OS, can you work with a couple old boxes or virtual PC and set up a couple OS to become more familar with them?

Reading is great, but doing is best :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Learning the standards, such as IRQ's and cable speeds,lengths etc would be a good plan too, as there are some straight questions about them.
  • entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    If you are familiar with SCSI, laser printers, CPU sockets/slot specification/bus speed/bus width, IRQ, DMA, I/O, and know how to maintain a PC you should be fine.

I would reccomend that you find some new practice exams that you have never seen questions too before, and as you're going along try to answer the questions before you look at the multiple choice answers. You could also try memorizing the charts on this stuff. For example, what I did with the CPU technote on this site was go over it until I could look at a CPU on the list and then remember it's socket/slot specification and it's bus speed/width. I did the same with SCSI.
    CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005
  • kanuncankanuncan Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mbeth wrote:
    I am taking the Core exam very soon. I have the transcender practice exams (about 200 questions) and cram-exam2 practice tests (about 600 questions), a few books, and have been studying for about 2-3 weeks. I know that isn't much time, but that wasn't my choice.

Here is my concern: Although I am now scoring in the 90-92% range on the practice exams.... I've been taking them over and over again, so I've essentially memorized the questions and answers. I've learned alot but....

... I am concerned that the real test will have NEW questions that I won't know and therefore not pass.

Should I get more practice exams? or what? icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

How can you tell when you are ready?
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I would go for it, sounds like your more than ready... Also this exam is not that hard I studied for 2 weeks for each one.... With Transcenders and Mike Meyers All-in-One icon_wink.gif