Options

Might be the greatest day ever...

drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
This morning I took my 70-640 and passed it. Got home and had a phone interview with an IT manager and he wanted to hire me on the spot, although its only 16 hrs a week and its on-call but I'm only looking for part-time work because I am studying to get my B.S. at WGU and want to finish it ASAP.

Then later that day I had another job interview at a NOC center doing graveyard and it went well. An hour after the job interview they called me back I got the job, it's going to be 26 hrs a week but its perfect because the hours I aren't working, the library will be open and I can study for my other exams. I would only work 3 days a week. The executive director said they have extra cisco routers and parts and I can use it to practice with so I can study for one of the CCNA exams.

I was a college dropout so this quite possibly might be the best day in my life.
Completed Courses:
SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
TWA1, CPW2
Incompleted Courses:
nothing :)

Comments

• Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Wow congratulations on the 2 offers! If I had to start all over again from the beginning I would definitely take the NOC job! Sounds like just what you need! Not to mention you will more than likely have great room for advancement if you continue to apply yourself.

Congratulations I'm happy for you!
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Great news. Congrats!
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is indeed a wonderful day!
  • Options
    millworx wrote: »
    Wow congratulations on the 2 offers! If I had to start all over again from the beginning I would definitely take the NOC job! Sounds like just what you need! Not to mention you will more than likely have great room for advancement if you continue to apply yourself.

Congratulations I'm happy for you!

yea definitely decided on the noc job because i read on the forums here that theres always something you can learn
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats man. Send some of that good luck my way.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats very awesome news!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    drew726 wrote: »
    This morning I took my 70-640 and passed it. Got home and had a phone interview with an IT manager and he wanted to hire me on the spot, although its only 16 hrs a week and its on-call but I'm only looking for part-time work because I am studying to get my B.S. at WGU and want to finish it ASAP.

Then later that day I had another job interview at a NOC center doing graveyard and it went well. An hour after the job interview they called me back I got the job, it's going to be 26 hrs a week but its perfect because the hours I aren't working, the library will be open and I can study for my other exams. I would only work 3 days a week. The executive director said they have extra cisco routers and parts and I can use it to practice with so I can study for one of the CCNA exams.

I was a college dropout so this quite possibly might be the best day in my life.

Congrats man!!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Or is it just the snowball effect of success and confidence from working towards your goal of a degree and smacking down certification exams? :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Man!
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice....now go play the lotto or buy a scratch off...

Congrats
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    eansdad wrote: »
    Nice....now go play the lotto or buy a scratch off...

Congrats

Thats what I was thinking. Better get a lotto ticket before you lose the mojo!

Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Or is it just the snowball effect of success and confidence from working towards your goal of a degree and smacking down certification exams? :D

It could be all of that, but doing a lot of interviews gave me a sense of confidence when entering the interview room because I felt like I could answer any question they throw at me. Also, the truth is, I've been having really great karma ever since I started doing IT volunteer work. That's why I'm going to continue to volunteer while working. That probably sounds crazy though heh.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is freaking awesome. Congrats.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Congratulations!

Well, It sounds more like a persistant person rather than a 'drop-out'! Watch how you talk about yourself, you don't want to project a poor image of yourself to others particularly when you are doing things to make yourself successful!

Calvin Coolidge quotes
    Calvin Coolidge "PRESS ON"
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Which part of the country are you in?
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN
  • Options
    peakbagger66peakbagger66 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It could be all of that, but doing a lot of interviews gave me a sense of confidence when entering the interview room because I felt like I could answer any question they throw at me. Also, the truth is, I've been having really great karma ever since I started doing IT volunteer work. That's why I'm going to continue to volunteer while working. That probably sounds crazy though heh.

Volunteering my skills as been something that has crossed my mind. What kind of tasks do you do when you volunteer? How did you get started?
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man!!!! Seems like everything is working out. You must remember that as Plantwiz stated, persistence is key. Someone with a little ability gets much more done when he uses all of it, than a person with a lot of ability using a little or none of it. Darren Hardy exclaims, The rhythm of daily action aligned with your goals creates the momentum that seperates dreamers from super-achievers; and my friend you are achieving what you have set your mind to accomplish. icon_thumright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Volunteering my skills as been something that has crossed my mind. What kind of tasks do you do when you volunteer? How did you get started?

Preventative maintenance, upgrades, etc. They didn't have an active directory, just a shared database, and local user accounts. It's for a small non-profit with about 30 employees that help people who are getting evicted from their homes after being in some harsh times. Being a non-profit they didn't have a lot of money, so they couldn't afford software like Symantec Ghost, so I also helped them set up FOG which is an open source network PXE boot alternative.

It's a good experience, not so much because you get to learn a lot, which really I didn't learn anything new, but you really do feel better about yourself when you give time back to people. And plus, in a business where lawyers get paid less than they would anywhere else and a boss who donates half of his own salary (50k) every year to charity, you know you're surrounded by just nice people.

Like I said, everything started to turn around after I started volunteering. The only thing I really gained on my resume from it was a section that states that I volunteer and I got a reference from the volunteer coordinator. No surprise, the company I now work for provide remote Exchange and Ipass accounts for non-profit charitable companies in 3rd-world countries. So when you're offering services to a non-profit in Africa, you can imagine they don't have the big bucks to pay you. Meaning, the management really love the company they built and it was for a reason other than money. I'm not sure if doing volunteer work got me the job, but it probably got me the interview and what you do in the interview makes or breaks you.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

Yeah, so, tell you what - meet me in Vegas and we'll go hit the craps tables!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Use your time wisely. I started school late as I got an IT job at 18. Ever since then, I have been feeling that I needed to play catch up... Now that I am in with a great company, I am back to catch up again. Just keep investing in yourself and creating value.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    AJJ28AJJ28 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It was great to read that congratulations.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats! Especailly in this economy, use it for what's it's worth and don't look back. Sounds like you got a great opportunity, don't squander it! Congrats on the pass too!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!