Suitable for CCNA? / CCNP?

wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Im new to the cisco equipment area, and would appreciate a bit of help. does this list of equipment look good?

2 x WS-G2948G-L3
1 x WS-C3524-XL-EN
6 x WS-C2924-XL-EN
2 x CISCO3620 with NM-1FE2W
1 x CISCO3640 with 2 x NM-1FE-TX
4 x CISCO1760
2 x CISCO2620 (no faceplate)
6 x CISCO2610 with WIC-1B-S/T (no faceplate)
2 x CISCO2610 (no faceplate)
26 x Kettle power lead
15 x CAT 5 cable
5 x Cisco Console cable

What kind of value is it worth?

Thanks!! :D
~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese

Comments

• zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that's a lot for CCNA studies. But, it's always good to have more equipment to play with. c",) I remember only playing with three routers at home with no switch. I did a lot of the switching at school and Packet Tracer back then. Did some of the routing with my (3) 2500s and Dynamips back then.

Not sure if you're buying it or not, but if you're getting for free then good for you, keep it and play with it. If you're buying it, then I suggest you take some of it out. Don't buy non-XM 2600 routers, go with the XM as they can use Advanced Enterprise Services images which is useful for CCNP and CCIE labs. I am not familiar with the 2924, 2948, and 3524, but I would say they aren't usually used in a CCNP and/or CCIE labs. I'd say go with 2950s and 3550s. If you can afford to buy 3550s and 3560s then go ahead. Those will serve you best on CCNP and/or CCIE labs.

There are several topics about building a lab. I suggest you to read them. My suggestion is only limited as I follow a certain set of equipment.
    :study: Life+
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have more than enough routers, now it's just a question of whether or not they have enough memory memory and flash to run a decent enough IOS. You'll also need sufficient serial ports and the corresponding cables. I generally recommend at least 2 serial ports per router, 3 or more in one of them to use as a Frame Relay switch, and enough cables to wire it all up (take your total number of ports and divide by 2). And as always, more is better. If you don't have enough WIC's, you can always sell a couple routers, you have a few to spare. :)

As for switches, the 2948G-L3's should be sufficient. If you look here you'll see that they're similar in features (though much slower) to the 3550. The 3550 is overkill for the CCNA, and ideal for the CCNP. The 2900XL and 3500XL models are lacking in features, but they're good enough as a 3rd or 4th (or even 27th LOL) switch in your topology. I have a couple 2900XL's as my 4th and 5th switch and in that role I find plenty of use for them.
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3550 is definitely overkill for CCNA studies. However, if you're planning to take CCNP and all the way to CCIE, then it won't go unused. Future proofing is usually what people should do when buying equipment. One of the reasons why I bought 2801 for my CCIE rack and not 1841 is because I like to do Voice as well if I ever get my 5-digit number. Just my 2 cents. :)
    :study: Life+
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yeh this is an e-bay auction. its equivalent of around $100 - $120 dollars to you guys (Im in the uk) ill keep a limit on my bidding, but what price would you go up to?

ps.

thanks for the advice so far!
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    yeh this is an e-bay auction. its equivalent of around $100 - $120 dollars to you guys (Im in the uk) ill keep a limit on my bidding, but what price would you go up to?
    That auction is going to rocket in price in the last few minutes IMO. It'd be amazed if it doesn't go for several hundred £.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Looks like it went £151 inc P&P ($240) which is a good price and much less than what I expected it to go for. If you did win it and can be bothered to do so then you could make a profit by selling off each piece individually.

If you look at the bidders, you'll see a bunch of snipers that came in at the last few minutes along with the two high bids right in the last few seconds and one of them must be a hardware reseller because of the massive amount of feedback they've got.

I didn't bid before anybody asks :P I've got enough Cisco gear already and I'm way too lazy to resell that much stuff.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    haha. no worries tiersten, I never planned on bidding above £70.

Gives me a good point to start a search on though ;)