Options

Best VMware Book?

ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
I have a $50 gift card to Amazon. Because there is so many VMware books I need help in picking one that is the best for the VCP test. The reason I'm asking here instead of just reading the reviews is I trust y'all a whole lot more then Amazon reviews. My ideal book will give me information with the test and real world as well.

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    what fadetobright said no other book comes close!
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dales wrote: »
    what fadetobright said no other book comes close!

Except the one that's coming out in March:

VMware vSphere Design - Coming Soon
  • Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Except the one that's coming out in March:

VMware vSphere Design - Coming Soon

Oooooooo pretttyyyyyy, opens wallet.........
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    OK, I'm going to both agree and disagree here - it is widely thought that Scott Lowe's "Mastering vSphere" is pretty much the best vSphere book out there, but I've yet to see or hear of a single book that will prepare you FULLY for the VCP exam - and that even applies to the various VCP study guide books...

So, whatever book you decide to buy, just bear in mind that there is no substitute for working through the VCP exam blueprint with the vSphere documentation on one side and a vSphere lab to play with on the other side - you will still need to do those things regardless of the book you buy.

Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Thanks everybody!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Lowe's book is pretty good, but it doesn't cover 4.1, and there are some pretty important changes. Like the fact that vcenter doesn't install on 32-bit OS's anymore, and you can't upgrade a 4.0 32bit install to 4.1.

Taking things like that into account, it's still a pretty good primer.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    scott28tt wrote: »
    there is no substitute for working through the VCP exam blueprint with the vSphere documentation on one side and a vSphere lab to play with on the other side - you will still need to do those things regardless of the book you buy.
    Scott.

^^this. The vSphere documentation and following the exam blueprint is essential. The 'Mastering' book by Scott Lowe is very, very good and I can't wait to have a read through the design one too when it's released.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Scott Lowe's book is a good training manual and quick reference to do tasks but as the author himself said the vendor documentation is a must for passing the VCP.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    jasonbochejasonboche Member Posts: 167
    There are many fine VMware books out now. Variety in this case is a good problem to have. Scott's book is an excellent technical guide. It's not marketed as a VCP book although I've seen several testimonials thanking Scott personally for helping them pass their VCP exam. The fastest resource which focuses on passing the written VCP exam would probably be the red Exam Cram book along with a lot of experience. Every exam question should be covered in one VMware PDF document or another which are all free.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
  • Options
    thulasi39thulasi39 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    VCP 410 Exam cram by Elias is the good resource to pass the exam. I passed VCP3 with his earlier book.
  • Options
    avladavlad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    VMware vSphere 4 Implementation by Mike Laverick the best for VCP4 exam.
    As always, you should study from other books/ VMware documentation.
  • Options
    yehosaphatyehosaphat Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I am looking for a VMware book to start off as well. Anyone has gone through 'Mastering VMware vSphere 5' already? Any reviews?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Way to bring the thread back from the dead!

Yes that book is worth its weight in gold, it's really good.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    yehosaphatyehosaphat Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great thanks Essendon. Is this also suited for those just starting out on VMware stuff as well?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes it is. Pick up a copy and you'll never look back.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The book is only 35 bucks now, use the rest of the card to pick up the VMware vSphere 5 Clustering Technical Deepdive
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action