BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just saw this on the SANS Storm Center. I'm scared! icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just saw this on the SANS Storm Center. I'm scared! icon_sad.gif

It's a non event. The community is prepared for this.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    It's a non event. The community is prepared for this.

Indeed. I was looking for a sarcastic smiley but couldn't find one icon_lol.gif.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    is it raining frogs yet
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Going home guys. The end of the internet has been reached.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Ehh. ISPs will just have to be better at reclaiming unused or poorly allocated blocks if they can and just migrate to IPv6 + something like the abomination that is CGN.

The immediate issue and even that isn't a particularly big one as estimates seem to be fairly low is that there are machines out there which are misconfigured so they think they've got IPv6 access when they don't. The TCP/IP stack will favour IPv6 over IPv4 if it has the choice so they'll find dual stack servers to take forever to connect to.

Go test your connection. You should score at minimum 7/10 for IPv4.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    7/10

The sky is falling in Chicago btw

No....really it is.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Ehh. ISPs will just have to be better at reclaiming unused or poorly allocated blocks if they can and just migrate to IPv6 + something like the abomination that is CGN.

The immediate issue and even that isn't a particularly big one as estimates seem to be fairly low is that there are machines out there which are misconfigured so they think they've got IPv6 access when they don't. The TCP/IP stack will favour IPv6 over IPv4 if it has the choice so they'll find dual stack servers to take forever to connect to.

Go test your connection. You should score at minimum 7/10 for IPv4.

This... the last corporation I worked for was a product of many mergers, bankruptcies, and divestitures... anyway they are still holding on to an entire public class B network for their internal IP scheme. They have no more than a couple thousand endpoints on their network today, and almost nothing that really needs to be on a publicly routable address. I bet there's quite a few companies that grabbed a huge chunk back in the day, that could be forced or coerced to give most of theirs back.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    This... the last corporation I worked for was a product of many mergers, bankruptcies, and divestitures... anyway they are still holding on to an entire public class B network for their internal IP scheme. They have no more than a couple thousand endpoints on their network today, and almost nothing that really needs to be on a publicly routable address. I bet there's quite a few companies that grabbed a huge chunk back in the day, that could be forced or coerced to give most of theirs back.

I've thought this. I saw a map of IP allocation and Ford had an entire Class A dedicated to it.

I was really hoping to have transcended IT before this but oh well.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    99% of people that run around with their pants on fire about the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses don't know a damn thing about the problem. I've actively participated / read the NANOG mailing list for at least seven years now and while there has been a decent movement towards experimenting with and testing IPv6 at the carrier and enterprise level, the press does not get it. Its much more sensational to to write about the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses than to write about the measures being taken to address them (pardon the pun). The problem that I have with reporters is that the vast majority of them have zero working knowledge of what they're writing about and quote each-other mindlessly.

If you really want to learn IPv6 more and get some hands-on experience for free go to Hurricane Electric's website http://www.he.net and get busy. Read the NANOG list in digest format or subscribe. Just stop getting your news from "networkworldwecoverlinksysrouterstoo.com."
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Just stop getting your news from "networkworldwecoverlinksysrouterstoo.com."
    But... its Cisco! You told me to buy a Cisco router and I did! A WRT54GS is going to handle our 100Mbps MPLS connection right?