Options

What is a good 1st certification?

franklin456franklin456 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am completing an MBA with MIS concentration. I do not have an IT background so maybe I am doing this backwards. I would like to get into IT. What is the best certification or certifications to get?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What are you most interested in from an IT perspective?

A+ and Net+ are nearly always good places to start.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have any career goals? Networking, System Administration, or maybe IT Manager?

Answering this question will help us give you better advice.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have any career goals? Networking, System Administration, or maybe IT Manager?

Answering this question will help us give you better advice.

+1

Manager ITIL V3
    Desktop 70-680 or A+
    Network CCENT or Network +
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have no idea what certification to get then you probably don't need to worry about getting one right now (besides maybe an A+). Once you get into your career and have a clear idea of what you want to do then the certifications will become clear as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am completing an MBA with MIS concentration. I do not have an IT background so maybe I am doing this backwards. I would like to get into IT. What is the best certification or certifications to get?

After being on the job hunt after completing my associates, I would say volunteer or look for an internship. You can use the company or organization for a reference and add the experience it to your resume.

So far it seems like more and more compnaies care about the experience and education than they do about the certificatons. At least this has been my experience while looking for jobs.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say start with Microsoft 70-680 Windows for starters then try your hand at Cisco ICND 602-822 for CCENT would be good starting pint and see what you would like to do.
    Free Reading : History Books
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    The Professional in Human Resources certification is pretty easy.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A+ and Net+ are nearly always good places to start.

I agree it gives you a good solid foundation in your IT career then you can focus on whether to go into Cisco, Microsoft, or another route depending on what you want to pursue. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What is the best certification or certifications to get?

First Aid certificate.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    First Aid certificate.

I agree. I should have gotten this a long time ago but I will be later on. Having knowledge of first aid is very valuable. It doesn't matter if you're behind the desk or out at a customer's site.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to add on to this.

As Claymoore said in a previous post about Windows 7 deployment, I personally know of 3 different shops that I could get hired onto if I had a Windows 7 "deployment" certification and experience without an interview. At least that is what I have been told. Infact two of the shops I have friends work in them, and I trust their words like gold. The 3rd was a required from a 3rd party agency.

So take that for what it's worth.

70-680 is really growing some strong powerful legs. One of the friends I mention, his organization has sent their service/deployment team to windows 7 training for 1 week. Half the teams does it one week and the other half does it another. They are all going to take the 70-680 exam afterwards at a testing site. They are going for 8 x 5 then they schedule the exam. I think they recommend reading the book before attending the class but you know how that happens in these mandatory trainings.