Options

Free-Nas

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone used this? I have some old parts laying around and I'm thinking about constructing this within the next couple of weeks.

I have a lot of DVD's that I format to AVI so that I can keep them on a harddrive and access them through my xbox.

If anyone has set this up, does it work with xbox/ps3? I have read articles online about it working, but I wasn't sure if anyone on here has actually done this.

If not... maybe I can post a thread of my progress.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used it a year ago. First install of "stable version" ended with "kernel panic" all over the screen. As I'm not Linux or FreeBSD user, I ended being in panic too, but then downloaded newer beta version and after 30min or so had fine running NAS. Overall, if hardware is supported then deploying FreeNAS is simple. But later I switched to Openfiler - more advanced and works faster than FreeNAS when using CIFS and copying thousands of small files (tested on 10TB RAID5 array with H/W controller).
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'm currently using FreeNAS to run a few other services, but mostly as an iSCSI target for my VMWare cluster. Works beautifully. This is with the 7.5 stable series.

I've played with and looked at the 8.x beta series, and it's basically an entirely different product, and not one I'm interested in using. I'm not a huge fan of Openfiler either, but I like it better than where FreeNAS is heading.

As far as your question regarding the Xbox goes, yes, it works beautifully. I was using Twonky to stream to my xbox, but FreeNAS was so much simpler. Unfortunately, that functionality is one of the ones that looks like it's going away in the new FreeNAS versions.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've used FreeNAS and Openfiler and seemed to find Openfiler more suited to my needs when I was using it than FreeNAS but a bit more difficult to work with than FreeNAS. Lately, I've been using Nexentastor's community edition and have been pretty happy with it, might be worth checking out but also might be a bit overkillf or just something basic since it's focus is on exploiting the benefits of the ZFS file system.

http://www.nexentastor.org/
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Have you tried putting your AVIs in a folder?
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, that's how I've been doing so with the xbox. I have 3 computers that I pull videos from. I am in the process of pulling all 3 together and having just one machine. I guess you could say it'll be a file server. I've used free:nas before but never tried to connect the xbox to it.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S