Options

which certs...

dangtran09dangtran09 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
a) hardest to obtain? ie...extensive studying/knowledge, years of experiences, etc

b) command the most compensation?

c) most marketable in the next 5-10yrs?

thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Impossible to answer those questions. Its all subject to too many other factors.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    dangtran09 wrote: »
    a) hardest to obtain? ie...extensive studying/knowledge, years of experiences, etc

a) CCAr
    b) CCAr
    c) CCAr
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□

If you watch the CCAr videos linked in the CCAr thread and listen to what some of the more experienced folks here (CCIEs, etc) have said, the field seems to be moving to Design.

I read it this way. The vast, insurmountable challenge of delivering the internet to businesses (and incorporating it as mission critical) has been conquered. The challenge now seems to be in streamlining, quickening and hardening existing infrastructure. It really seems like the best and brightest are not just techincally proficient but able to connect their knowledge base to business/customer needs.

So, if you want to be on the cutting edge and in demand, focus on blending IT skills with business accumen. Anything that enables you to back up a proposal to a customer by speaking geek and then "raising up" the level of the proposal to make sense to the guys on the next level.

e.g. Develop the skills to convice an IT engineer and his/her CTO that you can save them money and time while making a network more secure... and you'll go far.

That and SECURITY. Just my read of what the experienced guys here are saying.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

A. They’re all hard to obtain in my opinion, because you have to put in time, effort, and spend hours away from your family to study and pass them.

B. The most compensation… hmmm I would say if you have experience and education to back up your certs, then they might help you command more money.

C. The most marketable 5-10 years from now? I would say none, because the technology is always changing. Your certifications need to update with technology.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor