Options

Help with Lab Understanding

DustykDustyk Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on lately. I have the intentions of going for my ccna and then security and beyond.icon_cheers.gif

I am a complete noob when it comes to networking and understanding what is needed. At work I got a taste of changing the config on an ASA and since then I was hooked. I have my cisco books on order, cbt nuggets all on hand. Ill be honest, I havent cracked the book yet and have only watched 3 cbt vids so far. I have searched the entire forum but cant seem to find the answers I am looking for. For switches I have a 2950 48p. and a 3550 smi 24p. No poe though. I do have another 3650 48 coming from my work office in Maine that I will be using. Im not sure if that has POE either though. Im not to concerned about switches though

Question 1. What Routers do I need to be looking at. Everything I have ready says 1721, or 2611xm. Im fine with getting either of those but I dont want to have to do this again. I want to build a lab that will at least get me so fair. I understand ccie probably is a streach as that will be A LOT of equipment. But I dont want to buy 1721s and then have to upgrade just a few months or a year down the road. I dont mind paying 150 for a router if it will get me more in the long run. I am looking at 2801 or 2811s. Im not sure I want to spend that much but then again if I can score a good one on ebay for a good price I would consider it.

Why is the test concerned about older technologies like isdn, even t1 and the like with Fiber being in a lot of places?

Q2. What modules are needed. I guess any of the wic cards so I can connect them with serial cables, dsu card, and fast ethernet?

Im very sorry for the redundant questions that seem to pop up almost daily.

Thanks
Dusty
Dusty

Comments