Revising the home lab

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hello,

Over the years I have gathered a number of devices for a home Cisco lab.
CCNA was done 2.5 years ago and the gear has been sitting mostly idle since then. I was originally planning to use the equipment for CCNP & CCNA concentrations, but looking at exam objectives I now start thinking that most of it may be useless for that.

So the question is - given the goals, which of items below you would keep and which you'd get rid of? Of course, additional equipment is required in most cases, just want to know which items from the existing "collection" I should keep.
FWIW, I also deal with the following at work: ASA 55xx, 2950/3550/3750. In a few months time will start administering Cisco VoIP solution (after it's put in place by a third-party).

Goals:

CCNA:Security (highly likely to pursue within the next 6-7 months)
CCNA:Voice (somewhat likely to pursue within the next 6-7 months, but unlikely to build a whole lab at home and would rather practice on work equipment)
CCNP (may or may not decide to pursue in a few years time)

Equipment:

1 x Catalyst 2900
2 x 2950's

1 x 2505
1 x 2507
1 x 2611 with one 1DSU-T1 WIC
1 x 2611 with one Serial WIC

2 x 1720's, each with one 1DSU-T1 WIC
1 x 806
2 x 831
1 x 871
1 x PIX 506

My guess is that

For CCNA:S a couple of 8xx routers + couple of 2950 would suffice. PIX is sort of a bonus.
For CCNA:V I will try the exam based on the formal training + subsequent experience with the system after we migrate to Cisco VoIP.
For CCNP switching exam, it's worth to keep all 3 switches + buy 2 x 3550's or practice with ones at work. Does the 2900 have any value for preparation for the exam?
For CCNP routing, the lab can be simulated in Dynamips/Dynagen/GNS3, and therefore no real routers are needed.
For CCNP troubleshooting, whatever is used for the other two exams will suffice.

If the above is correct, the following items do not have much value for the lab going forward:

2505, 2507, 2611's, 806, one or both of 831's?, 2900?

Does this make sense? I would like to keep reasonable balance between making the lab as compact as possible (and getting back some $$ invested earlier) and holding on to the gear that will be useful in future endeavors :)

TIA :)

P.S. Would it be okay to repost/link this thread in CCNA:V and CCNA:S sections to get enhanced input on the subject?
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• cuuloco10cuuloco10 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I did what you're planning to do in regards to the CCNA Voice and Security, so here it's my home lab list

CCNA Security: 2651XM, 2621XM, 3550's, 2950, PIX501

CCNA Voice: 2651XMs with CME, old VG224 with FXS, FT1, E&M, FXOs, Iphone 7940's and 7960's, CUCM 7.0 . I did have access to the AS5300, AS5400XM at work- but then again i took CVOICE instead the CCNA IICM

CCNP: Six 3640's, 3 3550's, 1 2950, 1 2900xl, 2621, 2611XMs.

your home lab looks good ! I think you can accomplish your CCNA Security with right IOS for the hardware. Good luck with your studies and labs !

C
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    cuuloco10 wrote: »
    Good luck with your studies and labs!

Thank you! :)
    I did what you're planning to do in regards to the CCNA Voice and Security, so here it's my home lab list...
    Your lab set up makes a lot of sense and all those items are usually on the recommendation list. However, I am not sure if in my current situation I should be getting rid of some gear in favour of other (e.g. sell 2600's and buy 2600XM's), or sticking with what I have because it's already there. Another sample question - was there much value in having that 2900XL in your lab?
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you're looking to do CCNP, check your lab routers and their IOS versions for IPv6 compatibility.

Quickest way to do this is

en
    conf t
    ipv6 ?

Most of the affordable layer 3 switches can't route IPv6 so you may need to resort to router-on-a-stick to do IPv6 labbing.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Netwurk wrote: »
    If you're looking to do CCNP, check your lab routers and their IOS versions for IPv6 compatibility.

Quickest way to do this is

en
    conf t
    ipv6 ?

Most of the affordable layer 3 switches can't route IPv6 so you may need to resort to router-on-a-stick to do IPv6 labbing.

In terms of IPv6, does anyone know if it is possible to only allow it on certain ports?

Or is it a global (all or nothing) kinda thing. The reason why I ask is that if I turn it on, I'd like to control who gets v6 addresses and not suddenly have everyone wake up on Monday with v6 access.....

Or maybe possibly use ACL's to accomplish this.....
    In terms of IPv6, does anyone know if it is possible to only allow it on certain ports?

Or is it a global (all or nothing) kinda thing. The reason why I ask is that if I turn it on, I'd like to control who gets v6 addresses and not suddenly have everyone wake up on Monday with v6 access.....

Or maybe possibly use ACL's to accomplish this.....

For the Cisco routers, it's enabled globally and then per interface.

If you want to stop your Windows servers and workstations from getting IPV6 addresess, turn off the protocol for any NICs you want to keep as IPv4 only. I'm not a Windows expert, but you should be able to do this in group policy within a domain?

Some trivia: My lab's Windows 2008 server assigned itself a random IPV6 address that fit into my network but it used random hex numbers to fill out the host portion. Too much to type if I want to ping, so I added a second address. I don't yet know how to get rid of the random address, it's not a big priority for me anyhow. The feature that causes this is called TCP/IP autoconfig but it's not easy to turn off (at least not for me)

I think we may have hijacked this thread but IPv6 is big for the ROUTE exam so I wanted to post this.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    My lab's Windows 2008 server assigned itself a random IPV6 address that fit into my network but it used random hex numbers to fill out the host portion. Too much to type if I want to ping, so I added a second address. I don't yet know how to get rid of the random address, it's not a big priority for me anyhow. The feature that causes this is called TCP/IP autoconfig but it's not easy to turn off (at least not for me)
    Use DHCPv6 or manually set an address if you don't want IPv6 stateless autoconfiguration to occur.

Windows by default will randomize the host portion of the address. If you wish to use an EUI-64 based address then disable randomization using "netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled". Its only Windows that seems to do this. Linux and OSX use an EUI-64 based address instead.
    There is probably a netsh command that applies here, I just need to find the right one. Thanks Tiersten, interesting info
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    For the Cisco routers, it's enabled globally and then per interface.

If you want to stop your Windows servers and workstations from getting IPV6 addresess, turn off the protocol for any NICs you want to keep as IPv4 only. I'm not a Windows expert, but you should be able to do this in group policy within a domain?

Some trivia: My lab's Windows 2008 server assigned itself a random IPV6 address that fit into my network but it used random hex numbers to fill out the host portion. Too much to type if I want to ping, so I added a second address. I don't yet know how to get rid of the random address, it's not a big priority for me anyhow. The feature that causes this is called TCP/IP autoconfig but it's not easy to turn off (at least not for me)

I think we may have hijacked this thread but IPv6 is big for the ROUTE exam so I wanted to post this.

Thanks, I won't hijack the thread as you mentioned.

I guess my question was formed because what if you're an ISP and you want to turn on IPv6 on your edge routers to do some testing but not suddenly provide v6 to all your hosted clients...

So that's what I was getting at....

I'll just do some research and see what the best practices are for dual stacking v4/v6 without making it rain v6 addresses to everyone!! LOL
    Thanks for the advice

GetCertified4Less
    Any other comments on the original question? :)

GetCertified4Less
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Any other comments on the original question? :)

With your CCNA set to expire soon, you'll need to pass one of the exams mentioned in your original posting (or recertify your CCNA).

Whatever exam you choose to take next, lab it up and see what equipment you actually rely on to do the labs. Then turn off the ones you don't need and save on your electricity bill.

Selling the obsolete gear is probably not worth the time and effort, although you have enough old 2500's (and your 2900) that you might be able to sell a set of equipment on ebay for $25-50 (we are of course assuming you will not try to pass off your old junk as state-of-the-art equipment - that's considered uncool here at TE). If you do sell it, factor in shipping as all that gear can wind up costing a lot to ship.

:)
    Hi,
    I do agree with "Netwurk" and keep the old hardware . Don't spend $2 in shipping to make $ 1 in Sales; i still have some old 2500 Series and i use them to connect to the 3640 Frame Relay Switch - just for lab purposes.

my suggestion is to attack the CCNA Security !! Best of luck and keep us posted !!!!!

C
    With your CCNA set to expire soon, you'll need to pass one of the exams mentioned in your original posting (or recertify your CCNA).
    Yes, I'm fully aware of that. The plan is to go for CCNA:S, and optionally do CCNA:V.
    Selling the obsolete gear is probably not worth the time and effort, although you have enough old 2500's (and your 2900) that you might be able to sell a set of equipment on ebay for $25-50
    Hi,
    I do agree with "Netwurk" and keep the old hardware . Don't spend $2 in shipping to make $ 1 in Sales; i still have some old 2500 Series and i use them to connect to the 3640 Frame Relay Switch - just for lab purposes.

Thanks guys, I see your point. I originally wanted to make room in my den sooner, rather than keeping some of these boxes around for another a few years only to discover that they're useless for CCNP, for example, but you are essentially saying that they have more value in a lab than the monetary reward I'd get from selling them.
    (we are of course assuming you will not try to pass off your old junk as state-of-the-art equipment - that's considered uncool here at TE)

Your assumption is correct :) Although as a seasoned Craigslist buyer & seller, I find that the market with large enough audience is very fair on prices - one generally cannot sell an item on Craiglist/eBay for considerably higher price than one the market considers as fair, regardless of sales techniques (that does not include fraudulent misrepresentation).

GetCertified4Less
    Thanks guys, I see your point. I originally wanted to make room in my den sooner, rather than keeping some of these boxes around for another a few years only to discover that they're useless for CCNP, for example, but you are essentially saying that they have more value in a lab than the monetary reward I'd get from selling them.

Good answer. Good luck with your lab and also with your next exam try!

icon_mrgreen.gif
    Good luck with your lab and also with your next exam try!
    Thank you :)

GetCertified4Less
    Hi,
    my suggestion is to attack the CCNA Security !! Best of luck and keep us posted !!!!!
    Well, here I am - passed CCNA Security this week, thus renewing my CCNA.

Update on the goals:
    CCNA:Security (highly likely to pursue within the next 6-7 months)
    Done. (Ahh... that feeling of putting a checkmark.... :))
    CCNA:Voice (somewhat likely to pursue within the next 6-7 months, but unlikely to build a whole lab at home and would rather practice on work equipment)
    Stays the same
    CCNP (may or may not decide to pursue in a few years time)
    Decided to push it further down the list and do CCNP Security first. Makes much more sense as in the current role I work with ASA and VPN's all the time, but not with dynamic routing protocols...

GetCertified4Less
    Congrats !!! Job well done ! i did enjoy the CCNA Security Material - I'm in the Voice Environment and my goals for this year are CCNP: R+S,Voice, and Security. It's tough since some of my scheduled training got put on hold due to budget restrictions ..

CCNP:R+S and Voice are my priority now...i have passed a couple tests...so baby steps to get there !!! :)