Options

American moving overseas

myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
My wife told me last night that there is a possiblity that she may volunteer to be sent to one of the following places at the end of the year or the beginning of 2012 and be there for 3 years:
Guam- Anderson AFB
Alaska- Eielson AFB
Hawaii- Pearl Hbr AFB
Suffolk, England- Lakenheath AFB
Tokyo- Yokota AFB
Italy- Aviano AFB
Alaska- Elmendorf AFB
Germany- Landstuhl AFB
Germany- Ramstein AFB
Turkey- Incirlik AFB
Portugal- Lajes AFB
South Korea- Osan AFB

She basically asked me what I thought of it and wanted to know if I would be willing. My main concern of course is that I would want to find a job as soon as possible at any of those locations, and I was kind of wondering how difficult it is to be a foreigner and get a job with private companies. I currently do government contractor work and my prior IT experience is from the military. I haven't researched what US military government contract jobs that are at those bases, but I was wondering if any one had any input on the places listed as far as quality of the place and potential job market.

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    Suffolk, England- Lakenheath AFB
    Oooo. I used to live about 20 miles away from here. I used to live on RAF Marham. Pretty nice place actually. It was weird while driving, because you just see regular british small cars, and then it appears if you just teleported into America.

As long as you don't mind the British weather of course, rainy, dull, and miserable people.

For me, it wasn't that difficult coming to America and finding a job in IT. In England I know a lot of places are crying out for people in IT. The nearest big town would be either Cambridge or Peterborough, they're quite a distance a way. But there's no harm in looking now, which ever place they decide to send your wife.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Tokyo or Germany would be my picks. Just because I like those countries in general. Now Hawaii would be fun, nice weather etc. Just depends on what you want to do and since she's letting you have input that's always nice.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I'd say anywhere warm. That, and stay away from Aviano Italy. They don't like American's too much, my friend was stationed there and they had people throwing stuff at the gates all the time. England would be nice but Guam also.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013