Options

Value of Windows 7 Cert?

binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
I'm wondering how valuable the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 or MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician is in today's market?

Do companies look for it? I see a lot of
companies wanting Windows 2003 or 2008 Server Certification.

I'm looking for feedback.
Currently working on:
ICND1 - TBD
Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets

Comments

• Options
    jblake1986jblake1986 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that all depends on what you are looking to do with your IT career. Of course they will matter in a desktop support role and can be a catalyst to the server tests
    ICND1 Test Apr 23
  • Options
    johnlinksonjohnlinkson Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it is quite difficult to answer. If some one know please tell us.

Thanks
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jblake1986 wrote: »
    I think that all depends on what you are looking to do with your IT career. Of course they will matter in a desktop support role and can be a catalyst to the server tests

I agree it's a tough question to answer but it really is dependent on where you want to take your IT career and the specific job role.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the Windows 7 cert will become more valuable as the field moves away from XP and Server 2003.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I think the Windows 7 cert will become more valuable as the field moves away from XP and Server 2003.

I agree with this

I am not sure how close the original poster is to the IT field, but Windows 7 has been out for over a year now and the first service patch is going to released in the next few months. Implementation can be a slow and methodical process. As the next fews years come and go Windows 7 is going to continue to grab traction. I think if you were to get this cert today in 5 years it would have more value, which imo is what you want.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Exactly. You need to think about the longevity of the certification and how relevant it will be to you after you take it. If you want to get into things like desktop virtualization then having knowledge of the desktop OS that you will most likely be virtualizing is something that I think would be invaluable even if you're not a desktop support person.