Options

Simplest Partition Problems

GuyManDudeGuyManDude Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
OK, here is what should be another simple scenario giving me problems.

I have 3 phones registered to CUCM. If I add two phones to a partition, I cannot call between them but I can call the phone that is not in the partition!

The phone that is not in the partition cannot call the two that are in the partition. This is expected behavior but I don't understand why the phones in the partition cannot call each other.

There are no CSS created yet, Just one simple Partition...

Comments

• Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    GuyManDude wrote: »
    OK, here is what should be another simple scenario giving me problems.

I have 3 phones registered to CUCM. If I add two phones to a partition, I cannot call between them but I can call the phone that is not in the partition!

The phone that is not in the partition cannot call the two that are in the partition. This is expected behavior but I don't understand why the phones in the partition cannot call each other.

There are no CSS created yet, Just one simple Partition...

you just answered your own question..

remember, its not the phone thats in the partition. its the directory #.. create your CSS..

i havent begun that chapter yet but i believe thats what i read when i was skimming through it.. i might be very wrong tho hahah.. just gut memory feeling.
  • Options
    I should have been more specific, I meant phone lines (DN's) were added to partitions, not entire phones.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    A phone can't get be in a partition. A phone can only be in a CSS.

Any thing that can be dialed can be put in a Partition. Phones, Gateways and so on can be part of a CSS that has access to those partitions.

Now on to your question. What CSS did you put the line in. Just cause the line is in a Partition doesn't mean it has access to that partition. It has to have a CSS that has that partition assigned.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Correct @ above, in essence you use partitions to designate identifiers to certain DN's, and you assign those partitions to a CSS so you can dictate who is able to call who.

So if you have two phones in partition A, and one phone in partition B, that does not mean anything. If you create a CSS called 'All Phones' or something and place both partitions under it, then they should be able to call each other after you assign the DN's to the CSS.

Edit:

Kind of like class-map and policy-map's in QoS. I can mark traffic, but that does not even have to do anything. It is the policy-map that decides what those markings mean. 'Mark' your DN's, then 'Map' them to be able to talk to each other. (Put them in partitions, and put those paritions in the same CSS assigned to it).

Sorry... QoS on the brain.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Just cause the line is in a Partition doesn't mean it has access to that partition. It has to have a CSS that has that partition assigned.

That is how I believe partitions/css to work. In fact I was surprised when working through this INE lab and found the following statement in the explanation section of it:
    Any DN within a partition can reach any other DN within the same partition.
    . I found this to not be the case. My results were different from the verification section of the lab and I just wanted some feedback from you guys, many who will have almost certainly spent more time working on this than I have.

I know that if I create CSS for each partition and assign the CSS's to the DN's, it will work as expected, but this lab does not make use of CSS...

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    the book should have further explained shortly after that sentence that you need css's .. thats the problem i find with some of these cisco press books.. errors all over the place and not very well organized..

the ccna voice book by Jeremy C., has been the one i enjoyed the best.
  • Options
    surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Yeah Tokhss has already mentioned this but generally anything by Jeremy C is good.

I know most people have already explained, but thought I might mention the way I think of Partitions and CSS.
    I always think that Partitions are Padlocks, and CSS is a bunch of keys. If the CSS doesnt contain the right key to the Partitions its not going to be able to access them.

Also its alwaysy worth remembering that by default al phones are in the [NONE] partitions, and that the [NONE] CSS contains the [NONE] partition.
    Therefore if you didnt create any other CSS or Partitions everything would be able to call everything.
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah Tokhss has already mentioned this but generally anything by Jeremy C is good.

I know most people have already explained, but thought I might mention the way I think of Partitions and CSS.
    I always think that Partitions are Padlocks, and CSS is a bunch of keys. If the CSS doesnt contain the right key to the Partitions its not going to be able to access them.

Also its alwaysy worth remembering that by default al phones are in the [NONE] partitions, and that the [NONE] CSS contains the [NONE] partition.
    Therefore if you didnt create any other CSS or Partitions everything would be able to call everything.
    I thought it was the [null] partition contained within the [NONE] CSS
  • Options
    I thought it was the [null] partition contained within the [NONE] CSS

You would be incorrect. It is NONE and NONE. Not like it makes a big difference anyway, but null usually implies a lack of configuration. The partitions and CSS NONE are actually functional as is.

Opposed to VTP config, where the domain of null won't match another domain of null.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    skinsFan202skinsFan202 Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The problem here is I need to stop reading Cisco docs geared towards old versions of CM. icon_lol.gif It seems up until CUCM4.x it was referred to as the <null> partition but all versions after that, they started calling it NONE. Overall though it seems like the same concept just two different words

Cisco CallManager System Guide, Release 4.1(3) - Partitions and Calling Search Spaces [Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    The problem here is I need to stop reading Cisco docs geared towards old versions of CM. icon_lol.gif It seems up until CUCM4.x it was referred to as the <null> partition but all versions after that, they started calling it NONE. Overall though it seems like the same concept just two different words

Cisco CallManager System Guide, Release 4.1(3) - Partitions and Calling Search Spaces [Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)] - Cisco Systems

If you are studying cisco CUCM, it is a good idea to keep it within the last few revisions of the software you are researching. The newer the better. 4.x it about 5 years old I believe. My work place used 4.x on production when I first got here, which I had the pleasure of kicking out the window.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    The 6.0 track refers to both NULL and NONE a lot throughout the book.. but they do make a point that NULL/NONE are the same thing in essence. In reality, the software states it as NONE and every time someone says NULL just think NONE when it comes to PTs and CSS's