Options

LANDesk and desktop management

How do you guys think would be the best way to get more familiar with desktop management tools such as LANDesk? I'm looking to get promoted at the community college I'm working at and a requirement for the position is LANDesk system management experience so I'm thinking about setting up a lab but I'm not sure if it's doable.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Talic wrote: »
    How do you guys think would be the best way to get more familiar with desktop management tools such as LANDesk? I'm looking to get promoted at the community college I'm working at and a requirement for the position is LANDesk system management experience so I'm thinking about setting up a lab but I'm not sure if it's doable.
    Build a lab environment and start learning. Also, LANDesk apparently has their own certification.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What features are currently being used your environment? I would devote the lions' share on those features.

I'd also look at managing deployment packages, the asset management component and the Gateway Appliance.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Build a lab environment and start learning. Also, LANDesk apparently has their own certification.

Ah I didn't see the certification. It's a shame most of the material is only through classes and bootcamps. I'll see about doing the lab, I hope 45 days for the trial isn't too short.

I'm not sure about what packages they use off the top of my head. I remember watching the agent install a couple of months ago and I believe it was showing what packages they used. Maybe it'll show again when installing a new system image or I'll just ask the guy in charge of it when I get the server up and running.

Btw, how popular is Landesk in other companies?

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure about their current levels but the last time I talked with our Rep, we were their third largest customers (@10k seats).
  • Options
    VancouverTechieVancouverTechie Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talic wrote: »
    Ah I didn't see the certification. It's a shame most of the material is only through classes and bootcamps. I'll see about doing the lab, I hope 45 days for the trial isn't too short.

I'm not sure about what packages they use off the top of my head. I remember watching the agent install a couple of months ago and I believe it was showing what packages they used. Maybe it'll show again when installing a new system image or I'll just ask the guy in charge of it when I get the server up and running.

Btw, how popular is Landesk in other companies?

Thanks guys!

I have taken a couple of LANDesk courses and passed their Certified LANDesk Administrator Exam. My company has been using LANDesk for about 5 years and it is a useful desktop management tool.

I would have to say that we don't use it enough, and there is a wealth of capabilities that come with the core suite. I prefer to focus on backend server infrastructure than mess with desktops. It is only because our desktop guy is a little lacking in the skills department.

Another good site that would assist you in creating packages to deploy in LANDesk is AppDeploy.com - The Application Deployment Information Center There you can find uninstall and install registry keys that can simply mass software pushes to your environment.

Setup a lab and cruise the forums as with any product today. You will gain some knowledge, and if the budget allows you then take a class.

VT