Options

CISSP -- 5th of Feb, 2011

surinbsurinb Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am appearing for CISSP on 5th of Feb. And I am really worried if one Shon Harris book all that I really need to complete. But I guess now the time has passed and its time to take the test finally. Any last minute advices?

Comments

• Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Hmm 1 book. Hopefully you have a lot of prior knowledge to pull from.

Read through this post it is very good for some test taking tips, which will improve your score:
    The CISSP Certification Experience: My Study Plan | TechExams.net Blogs

Good Luck!
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Thank you very much, tips were really helpful.

Regards,
    Surin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you sabooher, with the exam time coming near I guess I need all the luck + wit I have.
  • Options
    Thanks, it was interesting. I am over with my exam and now the wait for result, if I pass (Which I surely will icon_smile.gif ). I will simplify the whole prep thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    User NameUser Name Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, while this reply is unfortunately too late for you...it may help others.

The SH book is an excellent resource, better still is the Practice Exams book ($40) of questions and answers by the same author (especially the online content available with purchase of this book). I would recommend reading the All-in-One guide as well as the Michael Gregg Exam Cram book before using the SH Practice Exams book. It is particularly important, more so than for any other exam I have taken, to read the questions and answers very carefully as would say an attorney. Questions and answers are worded very carefully to trick you. This is as much as a test on the meaning of English words as it is on security concepts. The exam itself is not very technical (no questions on ports numbers for example when I took the test) but the more technical your background the easier it will be to eliminate wrong answers. My exam was very focused on Application Security and BCP/DR.

My method for any exam is to mark a difficult question for later review but to answer the question with what I believe to be the best answer (if possible) before moving on to the next question. This way if I don't have time to go back and review a question at least I have answered the question with a decent probability the correct answer was chosen. The exam is still currently paper-based. Place a small pencil mark near the question number to mark the question for later review. Make sure you erase the marks after revisiting the question (and possibly changing your answer). Don't leave early. Use up all your time. Check all your Scantron answers circles. Are they filled in properly? Read through some of the questions again. Check for trick questions (i.e. TCP/IP model vs. OSI model).

Hope this helps anyone attempting to take the exam soon. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

I just got me result for ISC and and I passed..icon_cheers.gificon_lol.gif.

From preparation perspective, I just read Shon Harris AIO book for this exam (26 days of total preparation ) backed up by 10 + years of info sec experience and a masters in computer applications which really helped.

I will just repeat what lot of people in this forum has already said 'think like a CIO or CISO' while taking the decision questions.

Thank you all for wishing me good luck and Good luck to all the aspirants from my side. icon_thumright.gif

Regards,
    Surinder
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations and job well done. Guess it's onto the next one, eh?
  • Options
    Thank you.

Yeah, I am still deciding on the next one.. Any recommendation for a better combination?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    surinb wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I just got me result for ISC and and I passed..icon_cheers.gificon_lol.gif.
    Congratulations on passing the CISSP exam!
  • Options
    Thank you Murray.

As you probably might have noticed by this time, I am new to this certification world and I really owe this one to the forum, it really helped me to set my perspective right, created a sense of urgency and at time helped me go to right places to get the information.

I am getting myself ready for the next one, can you please suggest me anything which will make a better combination with CISSP, professionally?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    surinb wrote: »
    I am getting myself ready for the next one, can you please suggest me anything which will make a better combination with CISSP, professionally?
    That depends on what your career goals are and what kind (and how much) work experience you already have. For example, the CISSP/CISA/CISM is a great combination if your professional career is in management/auditing and you already have the professional work experience (it's fairly worthless to pass the exams if you don't have the experience to get the full certifications).

I would suggest having a look at the popular job sites, finding the kinds of jobs that fit your career goals, and check what certifications the hiring managers are asking for.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That depends on what your career goals are and what kind (and how much) work experience you already have. For example, the CISSP/CISA/CISM is a great combination if your professional career is in management/auditing and you already have the professional work experience (it's fairly worthless to pass the exams if you don't have the experience to get the full certifications).

I would suggest having a look at the popular job sites, finding the kinds of jobs that fit your career goals, and check what certifications the hiring managers are asking for.

Thanks Murray.