Options

I'm all in.....Desktop Support to Network Engineer

I've been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time and I'd rather risk it and lose, than play it safe and wonder what could have been.....

I just accepted a job offer with Lockheed Martin as a Jr. Network Engineer for the US Army Corp of Engineers Data Center. Assuming my interim clearance is granted I'll be starting in 2 weeks. The sub I'm working for will be sponsering me for a Top Secret Clearance at that point. The only hitch is that I have to pass the CISSP within 6 months of starting. So, it looks like my studies will be taking a different direction soon.

I've wanted to do serious networking from the time I went through the Cisco Academy in 2004, but my skillset always landed desktop/systems type jobs. Well I finally got an opportunity to work in a serious Cisco environment and I'm not going to let it pass me by. I'm very concerned about the CISSP, but I'd rather give it everything I've got and fail than turn down the opportunity out of fear.

I was told that my CCNA put me a cut above other candidates. So, I definitely got my money's worth out of that one. The Security+ didn't hurt either.

What a way to celebrate my 1 year membership anniversary on this forum. I owe much of where I am right now to the knowledge and advice that I've recieved here. Thanks to everyone that makes TE the valuable resource that it is. icon_cheers.gificon_study.gif
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Awesome man! Congrats and good luck with the CISSP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Awesome! Now get back to studying for that cert!
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Congrats!

Good Luck!icon_cheers.gif
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome new! Best of luck in your new position.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! How the heck do people find these government jobs? lol
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How the heck do people find these government jobs?

Government or contractor positions, which are you referring to?
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You going to have to move to Vicksburg? Only reason I ask is because I use to live in Meridian and remember seeing a few job postings for that area with the Army Corps of Engineers. Best of luck to you and just remember that you can do anything you set your mind to. icon_thumright.gif
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congrats! How the heck do people find these government jobs? lol

A staffing agency actually just called me out of the blue. They found my resume online, which wasn't even up to date, and walked me through the interview process. Pretty crazy.

My employment situation looks kinda like this:

Army Corp of Engineers
    contracts
    Lockheed Martin
    contracts
    AllStaff Technical Solutions

I'll be a full time employee of AllStaff with medical, vacation, the whole 9 yards. Kind of a strange situation if you ask me. My interviewer said several of them have been working there 10+ years, the contract just changes hands every 3-5.
    btowntech wrote: »
    You going to have to move to Vicksburg?

I'm just going to make the drive. I actually live a little ways outside of Jackson so I'll be driving over an hour. It won't kill me though. When you live in rural MS you get used to driving long distances to get anywhere. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    btowntech wrote: »
    Government or contractor positions, which are you referring to?

Both. I have been trying to find a gov or contract job for a few years now.

xenodamus wrote: »
    A staffing agency actually just called me out of the blue. They found my resume online, which wasn't even up to date, and walked me through the interview process. Pretty crazy.

My employment situation looks kinda like this:

Army Corp of Engineers
    contracts
    Lockheed Martin
    contracts
    AllStaff Technical Solutions

I'll be a full time employee of AllStaff with medical, vacation, the whole 9 yards. Kind of a strange situation if you ask me. My interviewer said several of them have been working there 10+ years, the contract just changes hands every 3-5.

That's awesome. Sounds like a cool gig.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Congrats!!! I guess we should have a Jr. Network Engineer association..lol. I just took a job as a Jr. LAN Engineer with General Dynamics and I start the 14th!!!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    Congrats!!! I guess we should have a Jr. Network Engineer association..lol. I just took a job as a Jr. LAN Engineer with General Dynamics and I start the 14th!!!

Damn congrats. Man how are you guys doing this? lol
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

Seriously. I'd kill for a Jr. Admin or Jr. Networking type gig. Anything aside from this help desk hell i'm stuck in. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Thanks!!! Read the sig my friend.... icon_thumright.gif It's all in being at the right place and the right time man.
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    Thanks!!! Read the sig my friend.... icon_thumright.gif It's all in being at the right place and the right time man.

Maybe. I am wondering if I am not marketing myself enough or something. I don't know. GD is been on my apply list for awhile now....
  • Options
    Maybe. I am wondering if I am not marketing myself enough or something. I don't know. GD is been on my apply list for awhile now....
    I don't even think I market myself. I saw the job, I put in for it and 2 interviews and 2 weeks later, I am getting ready to start. I feel like Kanye on College Dropout (Yall don't know my struggle/Yall can't match my hustle..) I remember something you posted last year that I apply to professional career. (You gotta be willing to do what the other's won't)
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    gratz man!
    lockheed martin! That will be hella good for your experience.

again, gratz!
    meh
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both. I have been trying to find a gov or contract job for a few years now.

lockheed martin
    northrop grumman
    SAIC
    general dynamics
    pratt & whitney

USAjobs.gov
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Well, bad news....my interim clearance was declined. They want to do the full investigation before making a decision and I'm not sure if the job offer will wait on that. icon_confused.gif

I'll be waiting to hear from the recruiters that made the job offer regarding how this will affect my ability to be hired.

To anyone hoping to work for a gov't contractor or agency in the future, I recommend you google SF86 for an idea of what they'll want to know about you. I think that was quite possibly the longest form I've ever filled out. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    Looks like I won't be able to fill the position they offered me. That team needed someone ASAP. On the bright side, the sub is still going to sponsor me for the clearance investigation since they know I can get a job if they can get me the clearance. They fill alot of positions at that same location and want to get me my secret so they can market me for future jobs.

I'm still happy with the outcome overall, though. I wasn't looking forward to cramming for the CISSP. Now I can start looking over the information at my own pace just in case I need it for future positions.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Well, bad news....my interim clearance was declined. They want to do the full investigation before making a decision and I'm not sure if the job offer will wait on that. icon_confused.gif

I'll be waiting to hear from the recruiters that made the job offer regarding how this will affect my ability to be hired.

To anyone hoping to work for a gov't contractor or agency in the future, I recommend you google SF86 for an idea of what they'll want to know about you. I think that was quite possibly the longest form I've ever filled out. icon_eek.gif

Been there done that my friend. It sucks no question about it. I've had several different clearances and they will investigate your friends, co workers, family, etc. It's a long drawn out process.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear the news but since they are looking at you for future positions it's a good thing. That SF 86 form is a real bear and they check everything. Once you get that clearance you're GOLDEN though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Its almost not worth it. When you join the military its easy if you didn't get into trouble as a kid. When you get older and things happen, the process gets longer and much more invasive.
  • Options
    fredlwalfredlwal Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How can one go about in receiving a security clearance , do you always have to be sponsored by someone or can you pay an agency to do the background check?
  • Options
    fredlwal wrote: »
    How can one go about in receiving a security clearance , do you always have to be sponsored by someone or can you pay an agency to do the background check?

As far as I know the only ways are to be sponsored by a company who wants to employ you, or get one while serving in the millitary.