Options

CIW Web Security Professional

I have been reading up on the CIW certs available, in particular the Web Security Series of certs, and just wondering if any members here have experienced these certs, and if they are worth obtaining in the Security realm.

The objectives look pretty good, detailed attacks and a fair bit of hands on practice in performing some of the attacks learnt about in a closed environment.

They are "lifetime" certs to from what i have gathered on the CIW site.

Cheers for any input!

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The SP certification sounds nice, but no one would probably recognize it on a resume or CV.

Here in the US, there is little demand for anything related to CIW. I did a quick search on monster for CIW; I found 8 jobs, and Dice only had three.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe I missed something on their site, but how does one become a CIW Web Security Professional? Just pass their 1D0-571 exam and already hold two other non-CIW certifications on their third-party list?

I guess the Security Analyst cert is one step above that, requiring the passing of 1D0-470 (plus hold one third-party cert in the list)?

Is there an exam topic objectives list for these two exams?

CIW Web Security Professional
    http://www.ciwcertified.com/Certifications/Web_Security_Series/security_professional.php

CIW Security Analyst
    http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/security_analyst.php
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    @ docrice

For all of the CIW Web Security Series, there is only one associated exam. The only thing that differes between each cert is how many authorised 3rd party certs you have. The objetives are the same, as its the same test. (1D0-571)

So my plan was, as im already Sec+, i could sit the 1D0-571 test and become CIW Web Security Analyst. Do another 3rd party cert, eg CCNA and become Professional certified.

@steve13ad
    thanks for the input. it seems easy enough to obtain, and the objectives are short, surprisingly. I havnt searched for jobs pertaining the CIW status on sites here in Aus, but it can stay on the back burner i think for a little while, at least until CCNA:S is out of the way.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Based on first impressions (without seeing a list of exam objectives), it seems like an easy exam. I already meet the prerequisites for two other third-party certs to get Professional status, and the cost of the exam is relatively low.

Is there a list of these exam objectives anywhere?
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    docrice wrote: »
    Based on first impressions (without seeing a list of exam objectives), it seems like an easy exam. I already meet the prerequisites for two other third-party certs to get Professional status, and the cost of the exam is relatively low.

Is there a list of these exam objectives anywhere?

Yes its a fairly low priced exam, compared to CompTIA and even CISCO...
    The objectives for the single exam for Web Security Associate (1D0-571) can be found here;

http://www.ciwcertified.com/_resources/objectives/1D0_571.pdf

there is only 1 domain, and 6 objectives within this domain... the exam is 62 questions with a 76% pass mark. CCNA and Sec+ will get you CIW SP with one exam, which would more than likely be fairly simple...ish. I read a preview chapter on the study guides, and it makes mention of attacks with Windows and linux, and the labs i assume allow you to perform these.. it does sound pretty interesting on the hands on approach and some of the topics covered seem very worth while learning...
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only real benefit to the CIW:SP cert is that it can be used to remove one year off your required 5 for the CISSP experience. From what I have read it is a little more difficult than the Sec+.

The CIW series is required by some public schools to work on their systems. This was one reason I got the WFA.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just to bring this up the Security Analyst test the 1D0-470 is slated to expire on 6/1.

I would imagine that there would be some overlap b/t the 470 & 570. So studying for both might not be that outrageous.
  • Options
    From what i've read on the CIW site, the Analyst will cease to exist and the Professional be the highest they have. They have/will be axing all the Masters level as well.

The 470 is the version 4 set of exams and be dropped as of June this year, where the 570 is part of the version 5 exams.. from what I have read on the site.

All in all though, i've read through the objectives and they don't seem very taxing, although that is hard to judge until you actually study it.

Might be worth it down the track, unsure if it will be of any use to myself at the present though...