Options

MCITP: Security???

With regards to the MCSE: Security, is there an MCITP that is associated with security? i'm not sure if i want to go through the MCSE track, with Server 2008 being implemented more and more, and no doubt a new iteration of Server will be released in the years to come.

We use 2003 environment at work, and i doubt it will be getting upgraded, as we just had both our network centres with new servers etc, but remained with 2003/XP (Australian Department of Defence).

With this in mind I had originally planned to go the MCSE/SA path, and then upgrade to MCITP later on down the line.

Would this still be a viable option? Or would it be worth my while to do MCSE/SA anyway, and build from there. I am working towards the IT Security side of things over anything else.

Thanks for any help/input etc.

Cheers,
Rosh

Comments

• Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is no MCITP that is associated with Security yet. I think it will take you a long time to do MCSE then upgrade to MCITP.

If you have work experience with 2003 you will not find it hard to study for 2008 you can setup a lab at home and study using it.
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    za3bour wrote: »
    There is no MCITP that is associated with Security yet. I think it will take you a long time to do MCSE then upgrade to MCITP.

If you have work experience with 2003 you will not find it hard to study for 2008 you can setup a lab at home and study using it.

Yeah thats along the lines as to what im considering now, and i don't really want to spend the large amount of time studying older technology.

Perhaps i should just go MCITP.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    cisco_nerd wrote: »
    Yeah thats along the lines as to what im considering now, and i don't really want to spend the large amount of time studying older technology.

Perhaps i should just go MCITP.
    Cheers!

That is a wise decision in my opinion since 2008 is getting more popular and companies are upgrading their servers.
  • Options
    Ok cool. Decided. I will embark on MCITP once I have completed CCNA:S by mid year.

Thanks all for the input!
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    za3bour wrote: »
    That is a wise decision in my opinion since 2008 is getting more popular and companies are upgrading their servers.

Starting at this point I would agree and start with 2008, but MCSE is more recognized in HR than the MCITP
  • Options
    citinerd wrote: »
    Starting at this point I would agree and start with 2008, but MCSE is more recognized in HR than the MCITP

True but that's changing as well now they know about it more and through out this year and next year they will be more familiar with it.
  • Options
    I'm assuming that throughout the studies of the MCITP:EA/SA there would be topics on Security features at an OS level etc.. is that as far as the security related knowedge goes, or can it extend into other facets of system/domain or network security etc?
  • Options
    SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    An interesting fact I've noticed is that it would take the same amount of exams to upgrade from MCSA to MCITP EA as it would to go from MCITP SA to MCITP EA - if you were to take the 70-680 exam for the MCSA. You might consider going that route.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    SneakDogg wrote: »
    An interesting fact I've noticed is that it would take the same amount of exams to upgrade from MCSA to MCITP EA as it would to go from MCITP SA to MCITP EA - if you were to take the 70-680 exam for the MCSA. You might consider going that route.

It's not about the exams, it's about the knowledge pursued during the exams!! icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, thats pretty interesting..

OP - I plan on starting with MCITP as well. I don't think I'd be able to really motivate myself to go through 2003 content, especially since I probably won't get to touch any production servers until next year/I change positions anywhoo. As za3bour said, you'd probably feel comfortable with either/or from just studying 2008 material.
  • Options
    SneakDoggSneakDogg Banned Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    It's not about the exams, it's about the knowledge pursued during the exams!! icon_lol.gif

Actually it's about the certificates. I actually knew most of the stuff from the certs I took. I just wanted a certificate to prove it.