Options

How many Certifications are enough?

John.FeistJohn.Feist Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was reviewing the CPE's and dollar amount required to keep my current certifications going on a annual bases. Since time is money, the bottom line is the dollars spent per year as compared to the value added.

For myself, everything comes out of pocket and therefore part of my educational budget. Personally, I think that I am at a good balance and want to invest in what I do have building on the current certification foundation.

I am curious as to what others deem appropriate. I guess it does depend on ones appetite and/or available bandwidth without detracting from family and life in general.

Regards,

Comments

• Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think that you can never have enough! Though in reality (my opinion of reality), the minimum certifications required of you is the amount that allows you to keep your job or that will help you in pursuing your dream career.

I am going to gain certifications in those areas required for my degree and that will help me in my future career choice.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Each year I pay $150US in Annual Maintenance Fees (AMF) for my CISSP and SSCP certifications. Considering the employment value they impart upon me, and the services I retain from the (ISC)2, I think this fair. However, the necessity of increasing my annual AMF has discouraged me from getting additional (ISC)2 certs "just for fun." Even having an Associate cert is $35US/year.
  • Options
    John.FeistJohn.Feist Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently looking at $285 per year in just AMT and Chapter dues. This does not include the time, dollars and resources to maintain the CPE's which could easily exceed that dollar amount if one adds it all up. I hope to get some back on taxes but am not holding my breath, grin.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I've got a further $500 in dues for professional associations and attending professional events, but all that has nothing to do with maintaining certs. I don't bother claiming deductions on any of that because it never makes a dent for me, and I try to void loading up the Schedule C with "IRS audit bait."
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My employer pays for one professional association membership per year, which includes my (ISC)2 membership. I did prepay a year last year, so I can pick something different this year. I figure CISSP, CEH, and PMP may be all that I actively maintain that require CPEs and membership. The Cisco stuff gets renewed with new tests, for which I essentially have unlimited passed exam reimbursement. Currently, my CPEs are completely covered each year by school. When I start my MBA, it will cover the PMP (which I hope to have by then), and it will be Group B for CISSP, which will require 20 Group A each year, on top of school.

I am focused on the key certs... any others will simply be for the rigor and experience. I may go for ISSEP at some point, too. At that point, I will have each DoD 8750 category covered other than IAM, which is not supposed to be filled by a contractor, anyhow.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro