Options

JNCIA lab suggestions ?

rnutterrnutter Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
To increase my marketability and job potentials, I have started to look at getting Juniper certified. If I understand what I have read on the website correctly, JNCIA is the starting point.

I have looked at trying to setup a virtual lab but since I dont have equipment that allows me access to getting updated firmware, that pretty much rules that option out.

Not sure if I will go past JNCIA or not at this point. Assuming JNCIA only at this time, what used equipment would be a good option for my lab so that I can get well prepared for taking the exam ?

Thanks,
Ron
CCNA, CCNA-S, CCNA-W, CCNP-S

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    For the JNCIA level I'd recommend picking up some old J routers. They can be found relatively cheap on ebay and will definitely get you through the JNCIA.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    rnutterrnutter Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would 2 be sufficient or should I get 3 ?

Since I am not familiar with the Juniper naming/number mechanism, is there a particular model that I should look for ?

Also, should I pick up a switch and which model ?

Is there any particular cabling I need to make that I have for console port or other connections ?

Are there any manuals/books that I should look at for labs to get me comfortable with the command line ?

Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    rnutter wrote: »
    Would 2 be sufficient or should I get 3 ?

2 would work, 3 would be better :D
    Since I am not familiar with the Juniper naming/number mechanism, is there a particular model that I should look for ?

Ther J2300's would be the cheapest and would definitely work for what you need. The newer J models would work too, j2320/j2350, but you're looking at over 2K for one of those.
    Also, should I pick up a switch and which model ?

If you're gonna pick up a switch the ex2200 would work, I believe that's the smallest switch that Juniper makes, but those do run from 1 - 2k on ebay. A ex4200 would be nice to study with but of course it's gonna be more pricey then the ex2200.
    Is there any particular cabling I need to make that I have for console port or other connections ?

Just a rollover cable for the console port and the management port will auto-sense so a straight or cross will work fine there.
    Are there any manuals/books that I should look at for labs to get me comfortable with the command line ?

Check out the Fast Track website, tons of free resources in there that should keep you busy.

Fast Track Program - Routing and Switching Certification - Juniper Networks
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender