Options

Etherchannel Port index

tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
hi guys

i am confused, i have setup an etherchannel and when i do show etherchannel 1 port-channel the index for both my interfaces is 0?

Age of the Port-channel = 0d:01h:26m:20s
Logical slot/port = 1/0 Number of ports = 2
GC = 0x00000000 HotStandBy port = null
Port state = Port-channel Ag-Inuse
Protocol = -

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index Load Port EC state No of bits
+
+
+
+
0 00 Fa0/20 On/FEC 0
0 00 Fa0/21 On/FEC 0

shouldnt this be 0 and 1 respectively and the load should also have some values, i am not using PAGP or LACP, just native ON mode?
Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.

Comments

• Options
    really?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no answer after 48 hours?!?!!?!??!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'm sorry, were you under the impression that this forum was under an SLA? ;)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have an alcohol SLA.

You see, much like bender the robot, I am powered by alcohol. I require 1 beer per question asked, and since I am not drunk I have no urge to fire up my 3550's. Let me hit up bevmo and I'll try and lab what dude is talking about then.

For now, all we have is milk, water and OJ.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    larue38462larue38462 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A few things I would look at/play with:

Does the output from the show etherchannel summary on both switches show all the ports in use by the channel? What does the output of the show run int po_ look like (is it configured as a trunk or access port)? Are you using the default load-balance config (src mac)? Have you played with the test etherchannel load-balance interface port-channel _ command?
    Currently studying for Route. Shooting for a 6/3/11 test date.
  • Options
    funny thing is i have just simulated the same scenario on packet tracert and it is still comming up with a zero port index for all links.
  • Options
    guys,

Milk and alcoholic beverages will be provided, hell i'll even throw in some cookies for good measure.....

my configuration is numbingly simple

int range fa0/1 - 4
    channel-group 1 mode on

this configuration is on both switches.

show ether port-ch
    Port-channel: Po1

Age of the Port-channel = 00d:00h:12m:07s
    Logical slot/port = 2/1 Number of ports = 4
    GC = 0x00000000 HotStandBy port = null
    Port state = Port-channel
    Protocol = -
    Port Security = Disabled

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index Load Port EC state No of bits
    +
    +
    +
    +
    0 00 Fa0/1 On 0
    0 00 Fa0/2 On 0
    0 00 Fa0/3 On 0
    0 00 Fa0/4 On 0
  • Options
    yeah I get the same thing when I configure it, doesn't matter if it's layer 2 etherchannel or layer3.

So I'm guessing the answer to your question is no. The load issue may simply be because I'm not putting any real traffic through it, but the indexs stay 0.

Out of curiosity, what lead you to this conclusion in the first place? Is there documentation you're referring to that lead you to believe otherwise?
  • Options
    yeah I get the same thing when I configure it, doesn't matter if it's layer 2 etherchannel or layer3.

So I'm guessing the answer to your question is no. The load issue may simply be because I'm not putting any real traffic through it, but the indexs stay 0.

Out of curiosity, what lead you to this conclusion in the first place? Is there documentation you're referring to that lead you to believe otherwise?
    thank you for replicating this on your lab, at work we have two 4500s port channeling and they do list the port index as you expect(0,1,2,3 etc..).
    the port index is what gets used when doing the hashing algorithm, most of the configurations i have see list the port index as i read in the books.....
    this is really confusing.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What kind of switch is it? Mine all show different index numbers as well. They are all 6500s though. Maybe its just an IOS/model difference. What does a show etherchannel summary look like?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tndfr wrote: »
    thank you for replicating this on your lab, at work we have two 4500s port channeling and they do list the port index as you expect(0,1,2,3 etc..).
    the port index is what gets used when doing the hashing algorithm, most of the configurations i have see list the port index as i read in the books.....
    this is really confusing.

Hrm, I don't have a chassis based switch to test on, but I'm going to guess that the fixed module switches probably don't use the index in the hashing algorithim then, which really wouldn't surprise me, since they usually don't have the same amount of horse power as the chassis switches.
  • Options
    larue38462larue38462 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This still has me a bit curious myself since I'm preparing for the Switch exam. I'm going to lab this up with a couple of 3560s today and see if I get different results.

Hrm, I don't have a chassis based switch to test on, but I'm going to guess that the fixed module switches probably don't use the index in the hashing algorithim then, which really wouldn't surprise me, since they usually don't have the same amount of horse power as the chassis switches.
    Currently studying for Route. Shooting for a 6/3/11 test date.
  • Options
    larue38462 wrote: »
    This still has me a bit curious myself since I'm preparing for the Switch exam. I'm going to lab this up with a couple of 3560s today and see if I get different results.
    you can also try it in packet tracert, i have a guru at work who was also baffled by this, we'r pointing the finger at an outdated ios, but to be honest it still doesnt make sense, port indexing is fundamental to the way etherchannels work....
    let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tndfr wrote: »
    you can also try it in packet tracert, i have a guru at work who was also baffled by this, we'r pointing the finger at an outdated ios, but to be honest it still doesnt make sense, port indexing is fundamental to the way etherchannels work....
    let us know how it goes.

Well packet tracer emulation is not perfect. If I had the power chords from work, I'd get one running between my 2950's. I'll let you know if I can.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.