Options

Woohoo back in the game!

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I moved from Minnesota to Charlotte, North Carolina at the end of October after my contract gig ended. Everything was slow at first just a lot of calls but lead to nothing but after the first of the year things picked up drastically and now I'm happy to report that I'm back to work full time with benefits. I'll be a tier 2 IT Support analyst.

How has it been for everyone else? it just seems like since the first things have been moving quickly and I've been lucky enough to snag a full time gig.

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    wweboy wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I moved from Minnesota to Charlotte, North Carolina at the end of October after my contract gig ended. Everything was slow at first just a lot of calls but lead to nothing but after the first of the year things picked up drastically and now I'm happy to report that I'm back to work full time with benefits. I'll be a tier 2 IT Support analyst.

How has it been for everyone else? it just seems like since the first things have been moving quickly and I've been lucky enough to snag a full time gig.

How is Charlotte these days? Lived there about 9 years ago and really enjoyed it. How bout the job market? Been looking to make a change from Memphis for a while now.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new job!! icon_thumright.gif

I have been having better luck in the job market here in Silicon Valley lately. It's been picking up here in San Francisco Bay Area with more jobs that are full-time. I'm hoping to move into a Network/Systems Admin. soon from PC/Network Tech position I'm currently at.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey everyone,

What’s the job market like in Charlotte, North Carolina compared to Minnesota? So far a lot of the jobs that I have seen for IT in Minnesota are in Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie, and Burnsville.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hypntick,
    Honestly I'm not sure I haven't been downtown too much and I'm still learning the town and stuff. I've been liking it though people seem very nice and the weather is great compared to a Minnesota winter and I've fallen in love with Cheerwine that is best soda ever lol. I'm excited to move from very north Charlotte to South Charlotte and see what its like during the spring / summer.

I do notice there is some crime but it seems like when I flip on the news nobody talks about it too much compared to say Minneapolis where usually something horrible is a leading story either way so far so good oh btw Zaxby's FTW!

NetworkingStudent,
    Well the nice thing about Charlotte compared to Minneapolis / St.Paul is its huge so almost every job I looked for was in located in Charlotte proper like where you were saying a lot of the jobs were typically in the south metro. Job wise it seemed the same I was looking for desktop support / help desk jobs and before the first of the year it was a slow go.

The one big advantage down here is the cost of housing. I'm looking at renting a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo about 1000sq feet in South Charlotte for $600. You can find $800 + one bedroom apartments in the nicer parts of Charlotte but in your typical areas housing is actually affordable. That has been so refreshing because I'm so used ot paying $800 - $1000 for the same apartment in Minnesota (New Hope, Brooklyn Park areas)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I do notice there is some crime but it seems like when I flip on the news nobody talks about it too much compared to say Minneapolis where usually something horrible is a leading story either way so far so good oh btw Zaxby's FTW!

Well i'm sure there is some crime, however i'm also sure that it's not even remotely close to the level that we've got here in Memphis. I just need to find a job market where everything isn't "Sr. this, Sr. That, Manager of this" and then "Help desk level 1" over and over and over. May just move to Nashville, seems like a better market out that way.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.