Options

What name is this?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was applying for a job and in the vacancy ad it had the recuiter's name 'Bansrii'. Usually in my cover letter, if I don't know the name I put 'Sir or Madam'. If they do mention the recruiter's name, I put Mr or Ms.

I'm annoyed to be held up by this: Is Bansrii a male or female name? And how would I title the cover letter?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Looks like a female first name based on the hits for web cams... But I am not certain, could be wrong.
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Dear Sir/Madam I would use in this case as you suggest, there isn't a lot else you could put really :)

EDIT:- I have just done a google images search for Bansrii and the pics were all of women.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Spelled with only one "i" the baby name site says female Bansri | Baby Names, Name Meaning, Popularity | BabyCenter

Spelled with "ii" google seems somewhat unsure however, images seem to still indicate female even though they mix the two spellings.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What gateway said IMO. Better to admit that you don't know than to put the wrong one.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Call up the company, just ask whomever answers the phone.

It is a pet peeve to me to have a letter addressed as Sir/Madame or even just Sir, when that would be incorrect ;)

Do your research. You might even ask for the individual or simply call up the company and ask for the correct 'pronunciation" and gender since you are unfamiliar with the name.

It does sound like a feminine name, but I've seen too many names for guys and girls spelled opposite of the traditional gender spellings to assume any longer.

Personally, I'd find it smart if you'd called up to ask first. I worked with a guy one time who could not stand it when people messed up his last name, so if you want the job, generally, most folks are not offended if you ask...they know if their name is unusual, plus, you now have a discussion point and it shows you are curious!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Personally, I'd find it smart if you'd called up to ask first. I worked with a guy one time who could not stand it when people messed up his last name, so if you want the job, generally, most folks are not offended if you ask...they know if their name is unusual, plus, you now have a discussion point and it shows you are curious!

Now that it's a new day, I guess I can call up to find out. I was set to hit the 'Send' button last night and was a bit irked to be stumped on something like the recruiter's gender.

Thanks for all the responses. I was leaning towards female but couldn't find anything conclusive in Google. Just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

EDIT: Got it sorted and her last name as well.

FYI: Female. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    EDIT: Got it sorted and her last name as well.

FYI: Female. icon_thumright.gif

GOOD ONE!

I didn't realize you didn't have the FULL NAME!! Brilliant reason to call!

Good work icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?