Options

Asking for a second chance interview

shamelessshameless Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I interviewed at a junior high school on January 3rd. The interview didn't go so great...i didn't sleep the night before due to being anxious about the interview and answered 2 questions incorrectly(I knew the correct answers, but what came out of my mouth was completely opposite of what was supposed to) Anyway, i loved the school & the relaxed atmosphere. The pay was cool considering it was entry level(14/hr). Would it be bad to apply for the job again in the next few weeks/months? What about requesting a second chance interview? The interviewer did say she would contact me regardless if i got the job or not. Over a month and still nothing icon_cry.gif

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Can't hurt to try. The worst they can say is no.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shameless wrote: »
    I interviewed at a junior high school on January 3rd. The interview didn't go so great...i didn't sleep the night before due to being anxious about the interview and answered 2 questions incorrectly(I knew the correct answers, but what came out of my mouth was completely opposite of what was supposed to) Anyway, i loved the school & the relaxed atmosphere. The pay was cool considering it was entry level(14/hr). Would it be bad to apply for the job again in the next few weeks/months? What about requesting a second chance interview? The interviewer did say she would contact me regardless if i got the job or not. Over a month and still nothing icon_cry.gif

I would apply again, and then see if you get an interview. I would send a T-matched cover letter, along with your resume. I pasted an example of a T-matched cover letter below.
    Cover Letter (T-Type) for IT Job Application
    If you get a chance at a 2nd interview get lots of sleep, eat a good breakfast, practice some questions on paper, and look at these questions.
    Top 77 Interview Questions for IT Professionals
    Send a hand written thank letter after the interview addressed and mailed (snail mail) to the person interviewing you. So many people don’t do this, so this will make you stand out. Here’s a link for thank you letters.
    Tips for writing a thank-you letter after a job interview - by Hayley Solich - Helium

Here’s some good interviewing tips:
    6 Essential Job-Interview Tips - The Fairy Jobmother Official Site | myLifetime.com

Good Luck!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Can't hurt to try. The worst they can say is no.

You don't think it's too late?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my perspective, too late. Either you get it or not. There is not 2nd chance. I will say very small percentage that you will get it. If you do, then it is "Luck."
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Contact them and ask for a status update. They might just be slow. You won't get another chance to interview for the same opening so I wouldn't bother asking. If the position opens up again in the future, you might have a chance so reapply at that time.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Maybe, maybe not. No one knows but the employer, so just go ahead and try.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    As previously said, doesn't hurt to ask for a status update.

Now...making excuses for your interview is another thing. Make sure to keep those to yourself. An actual "second chance interview because of my excuses" sounds pretty bad.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    My advice is to first check online and see if they post the board meeting notes. Our corporation and others post the monthly minutes online and detailed in them normally is information pertaining to if they have hired for any position or still looking for a candidate.

If you can't find mention of them hiring anyone call/email the tech director himself for that building or whomever interviewed you and ask them to keep you in mind and how excited you are about the position.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    As previously said, doesn't hurt to ask for a status update.

Now...making excuses for your interview is another thing. Make sure to keep those to yourself. An actual "second chance interview because of my excuses" sounds pretty bad.

Not really an excuse. Just a bad day. It does happen icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□

Never hurts to ask.
  • Options
    Totally forgot to update this. When i got in contact with the interviewer, i was told the postion was "filled within"
    3 months later, this position opens up again. Apply again or no?
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Never met anyone who was happy working IT for a school. They don't pay near as well as they should, they have no budget, and what they do have is usually very out dated.

I say aim higher.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go for it. Maybe it'll be your second chance.
  • Options
    MickQ wrote: »
    Go for it. Maybe it'll be your second chance.

Should i mention that i interviewed before or act as if it never happened?
    Everyone wrote: »
    Never met anyone who was happy working IT for a school. They don't pay near as well as they should, they have no budget, and what they do have is usually very out dated.

I say aim higher.

I'll be happy with anything i can get at this point.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Should i mention that i interviewed before or act as if it never happened?

Don't bring it up unless asked? A lot of places will ask if you've applied with them before...
  • Options
    afcyungafcyung Member Posts: 212
    I would only apply again if it was a new opening or if they filled the old opening and now its open again. I would only tell them you applied previously if they ask. Not to be sneaky but it could be like making a first impression all over again.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    How many jobs have you applied to? Entry level or not, rejection is common. Every job you apply to will have multiple applicants. They'll either hire you or they won't. Find ya some more jobs!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    How many jobs have you applied to? Entry level or not, rejection is common. Every job you apply to will have multiple applicants. They'll either hire you or they won't. Find ya some more jobs!

Dozens.

I just happened to see it pop up again today on Craigslist.