Options

Advice needed on career Plan

mywolemywole Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a degree in Information System and i will like to become a Network Engineer. I have 8 years of Technical Support experience with all kinds of cellphones and few Windows support experience. I am currently planining of taking CCNA before June. I am also thinking of doing my master degree.

What are the list of certication i can take? I want to get a job as a Network Support Analyst? My 3 year plan is to become a Network Engineer.

Do you think a master degree will be the way to go or certification route? Thank You for reading

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just two certs I think. CCIE:Routing and Switching and CCIE: Voice and you'll probably have a solid grounding.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    IMO, knock out the CCNA and start applying for jobs. you can start now too, just mention "CCNA in progress" in a cover letter.

start applying and see what kind of responses you get
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I don't see the masters degree helping out very much when it comes to network engineering.

It will help for a select few of employers, but the vast majority will look at Experience first, Certification second, and Degree third for Network Engineering.

Having said that CCNA is a great baseline which will allow you to branch off in many areas of specialization. Possibly with Cisco (further), Juniper, and Checkpoint are some good options.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Just two certs I think. CCIE:Routing and Switching and CCIE: Voice and you'll probably have a solid grounding.

Getting a cert in voice or security without experience first would be a mistake. No one wants people with voice certs with no experience. If you doubt me, just look at the job boards. Routing and switching could be doable.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Getting a cert in voice or security without experience first would be a mistake. No one wants people with voice certs with no experience. If you doubt me, just look at the job boards. Routing and switching could be doable.
    Sarcasm Powers Activate!

Not to mention the fact that a CCIE will be totally doable within three years for a person who does not even have their CCNA yet.

Daniel333 - come on, man!icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What you guys can't get your CCIE using my 30 minute program?
    "SUPER BOOTCAMP 4000, CCIE's in 10 easy 30 minute lessons"

I suppose I would honestly say, just aim high and hack at it. Formal education isn't as valuable in networking as certifications and certifications are not nearly as valuable as experience. Follow the money, get the experience, self study the certs and if you have extra time some college classes wouldn't hurt.
    -Daniel