Options

Sirsamon's CCIE, Like the Doctor says It's Bigger on the Inside

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    Went through most of chapter 3 static routes, IPv4, IPv6 and all the variations and options to go with them.
    labbed\wire sharked everything.
    Tomorrow looking to do the end of chapter exercises and onto dynamic routing protocols.

great day.

:)

How are you doing wireshark for your exercises? Are you using span on a switchport?
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Turgon wrote: »
    How are you doing wireshark for your exercises? Are you using span on a switchport?

Hi Turgon,

I do use SPAN or i drop in a hub, i always have two i can place in lab where i may want to see something.
    Actually yesterdays sharking was quite interesting to see and verify the differences with using outgoing interface Vs next hop IP with regards to ARP and then using outgoing interface + next hop IP in one statement.
  • Options
    Ha d a great day today 12 hours knocked off :) it was a bit hard to get moving but once warmed up all good.
    Completed chapter 3 exercises.

Next we were on to chapter 4 Dynamic routing protocols, covering path selection distance vector, split horizon and all those goodies that go with it.
    Link state, neighbors, flooding, SPF, aging, sequencing.
    Interior exterior protocols intro.

Onto chapter 5 and we are loving it, a bit of dinner and off we go.
    RIPv1 timers, passive interfaces, uni cast neighbors,Header format, authentication, clear/MD5Offset lists.

Time for another (6 ;) coffee, were hammering into it, heads space is good, chapter 6, RIPv2, RIPng and classless routing.
    We cover RIPv2 the differences, set it up just to be thorough, spend a bit of time with timed keys with authentication.
    Some discontinuous routing.
    Then it onto RIPng, read the up to the first lab scenario, configured it, will test and resume tomorrow.

This included creating all the labs they work of through the chapters, along with SHARKY just to see whats what.
    Now its time for some TV and a rest.

cya tomorow
  • Options
    Easy night tonight, normally have a Monday night off but i did not have much to do with the rest of chapter 6.
    End of chapter troubleshooting,config exercises.

Roll on tomorrow, Chapter 7 EIGRP.

cya all there :)
  • Options
    Easy night tonight, normally have a Monday night off but i did not have much to do with the rest of chapter 6.
    End of chapter troubleshooting,config exercises.

Roll on tomorrow, Chapter 7 EIGRP.

cya all there :)

With EIGRP understand advertised distance, feasible distance, successor. Understand how the metric is calculated. Understand how to tune metrics particularly delay. Understand variance. Understand eigrp stub.
  • Options
    Covered all the reading of EIGRP, tomorrow its a full night of labbing.

cya all there

• Options
    Run through the labs and configurations on EIGRP in the book. (created a few of my own.
    Will spend more time of the metric calculations, i know the math just would like to be faster.
    4 hours this morning.
    love the protocol, butttt ;)

Shower time, clear the head and onto my favorite protocol OSPF :)

Updates later
    cya all

Onto my favorite protocol OSPF.
  • Options
    tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    BGP is my favorite.

Btw I found out that TCP-IP v1 & v2 are boring as hell, it is impossibe for me to read word by word. All i can do with it is focus on those "interesting" areas then skim through the rest.
  • Options
    tearofs wrote: »
    BGP is my favorite.

Btw I found out that TCP-IP v1 & v2 are boring as hell, it is impossibe for me to read word by word. All i can do with it is focus on those "interesting" areas then skim through the rest.

I know what you mean, some other books are like that for me, but i have always been able to hold my focus.
    I have been through 3/4 of my books, read them 2 to 3 times each, picking up a lot more info on the way :)
  • Options
    Pushed through OSPF FOR IP V4, great rerun over the the whole protocol.
    Its surprising how much its actually going on under the hood but love it.

Next we are going to hit chapter 9, OSPF v3.
    IPv6 here we come again.

loving it :)
  • Options
    great night, 4:30 hours doing OSPFv3 labbing.
    I am getting more and more into IPv6, i suppose as long as we remember ipv6 before just about any command we'll be ok ;)

Frame relay with OSPFv3, not to bad
    keeping Separate areas and separate instances clear in when labbing and your all good. Easy to miss if you dont take the time to see the details ;)
    (yes i did :)

Anyways over the moon tonight, normally have a Monday night off after big hours at the weekends.

Next up chapter 11

Route reditribution
    Default routes and on-demand routing
    Route filtering
    Route maps

good stuff
    cya there tomorrow nice and sharp ;)
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems like you're making good time. Keep it up man.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    great night, 4:30 hours doing OSPFv3 labbing.
    I am getting more and more into IPv6, i suppose as long as we remember ipv6 before just about any command we'll be ok ;)

Frame relay with OSPFv3, not to bad
    keeping Separate areas and separate instances clear in when labbing and your all good. Easy to miss if you dont take the time to see the details ;)
    (yes i did :)

Anyways over the moon tonight, normally have a Monday night off after big hours at the weekends.

Next up chapter 11

Route reditribution
    Default routes and on-demand routing
    Route filtering
    Route maps

good stuff
    cya there tomorrow nice and sharp ;)

Keep at it. Dont forget Ipv6 tunnelling variations, static routes and summarisation.
  • Options
    Thought i would update, study was a bit slow this week due to a showroom overhaul at work.
    Then the wife wanted to get the Veggie garden all up and running. (feel like i am gonna die, to unfit ;)

Finished static routing, redistribution, IPv4 and IPv6, thanks Turgon.

Tomorrow i am onto default routes and on demand routing.

CYA all there.

• Options
    Its good to back at it after a few days of being busy, finished of chapter 12 and 13 ODR , route filtering.
    Nothing new.

Tomorrow onto chapter 14 route maps, looking forward to these, do not get much hands on with these.

• Options
    Yeah, route maps chapter 14 finished, the more i use route-maps the more i like them ;) is that sad =)

Anyways, its a good night for another reason. Routing TCP/IP Volume I is finished. (second time) good book.

Tonight i will start on the intro of Routing TCP/IP volume II, ready to hit it tomorrow.

cya there

• Options
    Yeah, route maps chapter 14 finished, the more i use route-maps the more i like them ;) is that sad =)

Anyways, its a good night for another reason. Routing TCP/IP Volume I is finished. (second time) good book.

Tonight i will start on the intro of Routing TCP/IP volume II, ready to hit it tomorrow.

cya there

A great book written by Jeff Doyle, read by far too few network wannabees these days. It can go on the shelf now.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

cya there

Good work man. Are you going to read volume II twice as well?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    HI jamesp1983,

Yeah, i will read all my books twice, then onto some of the new books i bought.
    Its a longer time period, but i am not in a hurry, also i am not on Cisco devices every day(except at my home lab, which come to think of it is a small ISP ;)
    So i read and lab my way through each book i have. Second time through i am picking up a lot more, other books like BCMSN i have been through 4 or five times on my way to to certification.

Time for work.

cya

• Options
    Been a few busy days,

Started Routing TCP/IP vII. Chapter 1 out the way. Good read all old but i like the ( in the beginning there was EGP ;)

Finished the reading section of chapter 2 BGP, labbing all the scenarios in the rest of the chapter, very good for refreshing everything.

cya tomorow

• Options
    OK so far 6 hours today finishing chapter 3 BGP configuration with all the labbing (wheeeww a lot in there).
    The good thing is later on i have another two books dedicated to BGP so this has been a great refresher.

Onto chapter 4 NAT.
    I would like to see this chapter completed today, i will see how it go's.

cheers

• Options
    NAT done, quite an enjoyable chapter, nothing new in there but always worth going through it and verifying what you think is right.
    I would say the duel homed nating with nating in both directions is the mind bender to keep straight. :)

Anyways, time for a TV show as my reward for a good day, then on to chapter 5, one of my favorites Multicast. yeahh :)

cya all later.

• Options
    Chapter 5 all done, great read, love Multicast, set me up for a big night of labbing/troubleshooting tomorrow with chapter 6.

I have to say, long day head is a bit tight, might burst ;)

time for a rest and bed.

cya all tomorow

• Options
    Tonight i covered part of chapter 6 IP PIM Dense.
    Labbed out the scenarios in the book, then added a few of my own.

P.S

for anyone out there that uses VLC as the multicast server, good news they have fixed the TTL issue and it now works.
    In previous versions no matter what TTL you entered it did not apply you had to MOD output the string at the end.
    I have tested on MAC only.

anyways PIM Sparse tomorrow, cya all later. (did i say how much i love multicast ;)

• Options
    Ok i thought i would give you all a laugh at my own expense :)

I am mentoring my friend to sit his CCNA as he let it lapse 2 or 3 years ago.
    Anyways we go through the horrific hassle of trying to book the exam, the next day at home i think i should log in and check out where my certification is :)
    Now let the roller coaster of hell start, i log in check my dates WHOAAAAAA i run out on 16/11/2012, EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY.
    OMGGGG how can i have for got, check my exam reports, check my Cisco card, sure is right 16/11/2012 its all over.

Run out to the shops by the switching book, get onto Pearson vue (absolute nightmare) book the SWITCH exam, damn i have 11 days, ok book for 14th gives me just over a week.

Ok onto study revise anything i think i might miss, wireless, any voip.
    The wife arrives home ( at this point i should mention i have just got my wife to use Facebook at a push) she asks if i want tea, and hows the study going today.
    I brake into a rant about its not the CCIE study, i have messed up and and have a week to pass an exam or i have to start again.
    I run her through the whole story, she go's makes tea and brings it in, while looking at my old test reports.
    She then asks why do you do these exams if they change how long they are valid for ???
    I launch into the WTF are you talking about (BIG MISTAKE, LET ME TELL YOU NOW)
    Well if you finished on 16/11/2009 and it say valid to 2012 on the card, how do they get away with making you lose a year.

The penny at that moment drops, what a f@^@^kINg n0000000b, i had just over 1 years to go.
    Needless to say i have kissed her ass and what ever she wants, canceled the exam. :0

I think i have lost a few years there.

cya later back to now Finnish of Multicast.

• Options
    Today finished of Multicast, Every time i go through anything on this topic i could stay there forever ;)

Anyways i have been held up enough, on to IPv6.

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Haha. Fun story :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    chapter 8 IPv6 complete, must say i am ready for bed.
    A long day, but happy with progress tomorrow is the last chapter of Volume II.

IPv6 is defiantly working its way into my system, i feel very comfortable with it and could see me using on a full time basis if possible.

Anyways bed is calling time to dream of some 2851s in my home lab to replace my 2651XMs.

• Options
    chapter 8 IPv6 complete, must say i am ready for bed.
    A long day, but happy with progress tomorrow is the last chapter of Volume II.

IPv6 is defiantly working its way into my system, i feel very comfortable with it and could see me using on a full time basis if possible.

Anyways bed is calling time to dream of some 2851s in my home lab to replace my 2651XMs.

When is your written date? It would be good to get it done then you can tramp onto 1000 lab hours in 2012.
  • Options
    to be truthful, i am not sure.
    I have another 12 books or so i want to go through then i was going to look at it.