Options

Sirsamon's CCIE, Like the Doctor says It's Bigger on the Inside

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sirsamon wrote: »
    to be truthful, i am not sure.
    I have another 12 books or so i want to go through then i was going to look at it.

Thats a lot of reading and labbing ahead of you if you intend to cover another 12 books. You have your own method but my advice would be to concentrate on the practice tests now, clatter out the written and really get stuck into a vendor workbook for your lab practice. You can always lab up Cisco Press examples along the way, in fact I did so several times myself from Doyle, Solie and others, so it's very good you lab up examples from such books. Your regularity is execllent, but be sure to get it moving through the vendor labbooks before you run out of gas, 1000lab hours takes some cranking out. 3 hours per day will take you a whole year.
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Thanks Turgon,

I think your are right, i will start with Odoms tests at the same time.

:)
  • Options
    Yeah another book complete, chapter 9 complete.
    Covers a lot of little subjects, Syslog, SNMP, Rmon, Touch of basic Security and procedures.

Tomorrow i will be starting on Troubleshooting IP routing Protocols.

cya

• Options
    Ok started the new book today, completed chapters 1 to 3

chapter 1 intro to routing
    chapter 2 RIP 1 and 2
    chapter 3 RIP troubleshooting

The good thing is i knew and had comprehension before replicating what was being discussed.
    It would be easy to become complacent when looking at routes and not how the protocol actually works.

Any ways a good start.

• Options
    Ok Skipped the chapter on IGRP, landed on EIGRP.

So far this time around this book is a refresher, nothing out there that i had no idea was happening :)

At this rate i will be back at the CCIE v4 in no time.

P.S

you have no idea how much willpower it is taking not to play the new Modern warfare 3

Also being very tired this week is not helping.

CYA

• Options
    Pushed through the OSPF chapter, was ok.

I have decided that i will go back to the CCIE v4 book not getting as much out of it as last time i read it.

So looking at the CCIE v4 book i am at EIGEP tomorrow.

cya

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

So far this time around this book is a refresher, nothing out there that i had no idea was happening :)

At this rate i will be back at the CCIE v4 in no time.

P.S

you have no idea how much willpower it is taking not to play the new Modern warfare 3

Also being very tired this week is not helping.

CYA

Imagine playing it AS A CCIE!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options

This is good. It means the advanced study material you have already read covers these other books you are getting into. Stay on Odom, Doyle etc and you should be fine. Pick up Karl Solies Vol I and II off amazon if you can. His labs put a lot of aspects on topics into context. They were written for an older version of the lab so as usual no one wants to buy them. They contain gems, as does Duggan's lab book, another one no one wants to read.
  • Options
    I would love to get

Volume II of Karl Solies (i already have volume I)
    And Duggan,

The problem being, its all there on Amazon, but they don't ship icon_sad.gif nothing on ebay or local shops i can find :/
  • Options
    Update, just got the Volume II and Duggan's :)
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Hacksaw Jim Duggan? :P Good progress. When are you doing the written?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Not to sure, would like to do it before end of year, end of Feb latest.
  • Options
    Today i started back on the CCIE v4 book at chapter 7 Eigrp. The last chapter i had completed before going through TCP/IP vol I and II (again)

Eigrp i find no issues with it as long as you keep its logic right in your mind.

Tv show then on to OSPF.

cya

• Options
    Finished going through chapter 8 OSPF, a bit of reading and labbing, not to much meat in it.

I will be going through the OSPF command and configuration book tomorrow.
    The last time i read this it was great, tones of little labs to go through verifying and configuring just about every aspect of OSPF.
    At the end i though i could visualize just about any configuration ;)

cya

• Options
    Forgot to update last night,

Spent the day on the OSPF command and configuration handbook, i go through this as if it were designed to be labs.
    Got a quarter of the way through yesterday, head was buzzzing after all the different scenarios, but its well worth it for me.
    Helps to really bed in and verify what it actually going on. Also forced myself to enable OSPF via the interface rather than with the network command. Easy to get used to it one way.

Time for work and we will see how i feel tonight, Monday's are usually my night off.

cya

• Options
    OK, last night i got through another good chunk of the OSPF book, this book certainly gives you a work out on the keyboard and commands.
    last night was all on cost, default routes using different methods to achieve the same results.

cya tonight.

• Options
    After flipping through the last part of the OSPF handbook i am back at the CCIE book
    chapter 9 Redistribution, summarization, default routes.

Got a work at home day, so gonna make the of of the dollar time for study.

later

• Options
    Covered chapter 9,

Lots of little quirks here and there to remember, what protocols does what, the three methods of filtering.
    The route maps with prefix lists icon_sad.gif) phewww they take a lot of concentration when you don't use them a lot.

Anyways, time for some TV, made good progress on the dollar, so i have the weekend to get that extra covered.
    Tomorrow BGP time, for this i have the two chapters in the CCIE v4 book.
    then

1) Internet routing architectures 2nd ed
    2) BGP design and implementation
    3) BGP command and configuration handbook.

cya

• Options
    Great day today, chapters 10 and 11 completed.

CCIE book back on the shelf.
    Tomorrow i start getting some good hands on and reading with Internet routing architectures 2nd ed.

Looking forward to reading this again, solidifying BGP concepts a lot more.

cya

• Options
    Today was not feeling to well at all.
    Started on Internet routing architectures 2nd ed, I managed to go through the first two chapters.
    Although i would have like to get a bit more.

Anyways it is a start i will hopefully feel better tomorrow.

cya

• Options
    Today was not feeling to well at all.
    Started on Internet routing architectures 2nd ed, I managed to go through the first two chapters.
    Although i would have like to get a bit more.

Anyways it is a start i will hopefully feel better tomorrow.

cya

Time for odom and bosen practice tests then the exam.
  • Options
    OK had a great day, finished up to chapter 6.
    Tomorrow chapter 7, redundancy symmetry , load balancing.

this book is a good read, even for the second time ;)

Turgon, you are right, i have started to get into the boson exam :)
  • Options
    Gee i am tired tonight, chapter 7 completed.
    A lot of info for such a short chapter, gives you a lot to think of.
    Data out or in, affecting in and out, default routes, multihomed or not, same ISP two different ISPs.

Time for bed, going have nightmares figuring what is coming or going out the network ;)

cya

• Options
    Just got back, been interstate to Sydney for a week, head being filled by non Cisco information ;)

Anyways had just about finished Internet routing architectures , got home to find out i had left the book at the hotel reception desk when signing out icon_sad.gif

just phoned hope they send it back.

However on returning home i did fine waiting for me :)

1) EIGRP network design solutions ( yes the old one )

2) CCIE routing and switching practice labs ( yes the old one )

3) CCIE practical studies Volume II ( yes the old one )

the only damn book i cannot get a hold of is Cisco Press frame relay solutions guide.

anyways, i might get back to it today, or have the day off to rest and get into it tomorrow.

cya

• Options
    Today is a great day, finally after a long wait i have managed to source a copy of Cisco Press Frame Relay Solutions Guide :)
  • Options
    Ok The hotel have found my book and are sending it back, should be a week with our mail.

I started Cisco Press BGP design and implementation last night.

Chapter 1 complete, just a small intro.

cya

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Should have let us known you were in Sydney.
    Had a end of semester bash at UTS (work and study there at Sydney's ugliest building) with food and decent bar tab on friday.
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    damn, i hate that, missing out when the work FREE is in use ;)
  • Options
    damn, i hate that, missing out when the work FREE is in use ;)

You need to take the written. Book it and take it. If you tank it, hit the practice tests for 3 weeks then try again. Plenty of time to do more reading while you amass 1000 lab hours doing the INE workbooks hands on.
  • Options
    Today is a great day, finally after a long wait i have managed to source a copy of Cisco Press Frame Relay Solutions Guide :)

Does that book cover FrEEK? Or fragment sizes or any length of FRTS situations? Or PPP over Frame Relay including virtual templates? That's lab prep stuff. The written isn't as indepth so take it out and press on with lab prep using vendor workbooks.