Options

nexus 7000

AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
Who has had a play with these?

I get to set two up whoop whoop :D

Design Guide

Implementing Nexus 7000 in the Data Center Aggregation Layer with Services - Cisco Systems

No more voice studies for me for at least 4 months though icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    I think I'm in the same boat. We were going to go with a dual 6513 VSS setup but apparently there is a "starter package" for companies who have no Nexus equipment that comes with Nexus 7k chassis and a lot of licences for different functionalities. The cost is close to or better than what we were going to get with the dual VSS for dual 7k's. So it's going to be a fun ride switching out a 4500 and a hybrid 6509 chassis to dual 7k's. I feel like a kid in a toy store when I start thinking about rebuilding our infrastructure :D
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just did a Nexus 5K and 2K setup and install. It was pretty fun, although there was a decent learning curve.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »

First book was great! I own and have read it. My only complaint is that it focuses almost solely on the 7000 series, which is fine for the OP, but not as helpful for me. icon_rolleyes.gif

The Nexus is suppose to replace all 6500 series stuff because it if more modular and makes managing STP sooo much easier. It's also nice the way they did the fabric extenders. For those that work in a data center this is a great product.

They do have their flaws though like anything (software bugs, versioning issues, etc).
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Interesting, i bet they are expensive. We might be moving data centers and there are talks of getting 6500's, i dont think we can afford any model of the nexus platforms, let alone get them new lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    We actually just moved Data Centers lol (I am in the process of writing up the experience on my blog). The nexus are no more expensive than going with the 6500. In the end they weren't so bad cost wise. We did run into an issue where they didn't tell us till after the fact that Nexus 5000 only supports 10GB connects and for anything else than that you need to plug into the fabric extenders (which of course don't work without the Nexus 5000s icon_rolleyes.gif). Supposedly Cisco is coming out with a software update in March that allows the 5000s to use any speed in their interfaces.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    chrisone wrote: »
    Interesting, i bet they are expensive. We might be moving data centers and there are talks of getting 6500's, i dont think we can afford any model of the nexus platforms, let alone get them new lol

Talk to your Cisco rep, we are going to get a deal because we do not currently own any Nexus equipment. It is called something like Nexus starter package, it comes with a huge discount on hardware and a lot of licenses so it should take care of what you would need.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    What are you guys paying for all this cool stuff? I know it depends on line cards, etc. Just think it's interesting.
  • Options
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    Talk to your Cisco rep, we are going to get a deal because we do not currently own any Nexus equipment. It is called something like Nexus starter package, it comes with a huge discount on hardware and a lot of licenses so it should take care of what you would need.

Yeah we didn't have any either....got an awesome package. We paid under $100,000 for 2 Nexus 5000 and 8 Nexus $2000. Plus 16 GBICs.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    We've got Nexus switches here and they're nice but we've had a few odd issues on earlier firmware because we were using some features that aren't very popular. A few releases had some ISSU bugs which were pretty bad but I think thats mostly fixed now...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    We've got Nexus switches here and they're nice but we've had a few odd issues on earlier firmware because we were using some features that aren't very popular. A few releases had some ISSU bugs which were pretty bad but I think thats mostly fixed now...

Yeah I found a weird bug in the 5.0 release. If you try to generate an SSH key and assign it to a user it always comes back with "Invalid key" and locks out the admin user icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I don't think this will replace the 65xx just yet, esp since you can't install modular devices like FWSM, ACE etc

btw, the nexus 2000 works as a fabric extension of the nexus 7000 now.