Options

Automatic solution to wake me up?

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking for solution to my problem. Any advice is welcome.
Case. Every night at 1am and 1:30 am I get the emails with the reports from 3 different countries. Depending on the report status I have to do;
1. Report says "Everything is OK". Forward an email. Happens 3/4 of the time
2. Report says "Not everything is OK". Create the ticket and escalate the problem. Happens 1/4 of the time
Problem. Hate to wake up in the middle of the night just to forward the email with a subject "Everythin is OK". I can ask our programmers and they probably can come up with an email forwarding solution if there are in an email's body words like "OK, No Problem" etc. So I can sleep peacefully throughout the night. The real problem comes when I have an email with the "Not everything is OK" subject. How can I set up a system which would wake me up on this event?
Resources available. >10 programmers, VoIP phone system (only starting to implement) + the ussual stuff at IT company.
I am dreaming about such a system.
1.Software detects and recognize the message in the email ("Not everything is OK").
2.I get a call with a pre-recorded message which plays - "wake up, zombie attack! Please create a ticket".
Is it possible? Does anyone can help me? Cause I heard soon I am going to be assigned to monitor another similar email - at 5am! I can not imagine being able to sleep till 1am, wake up, forward an email, go to sleep, wake up at 5am, forward an email, go to sleep, wake up at 6:30 am. go to work.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sounds like a job for Unified Messaging. . . and probably some scripting/coding. Then again, I'm not exactly an expert on messaging technologies, but there are plenty of people on this forum who are. Are you running Exchange 2007 or 2010 in your network, by any chance? What's handling your VoIP communications?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could set up rules to forward the messages for you. The everything ok goes to other people and the not everything ok goes to your cell phone, either to an email address that your phone is set up to receive or as text message.

But that means that your phone needs to be able to wake you up.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you had a *NIX box around then I'd run procmail with some rules that detect these incoming emails and process them.

If its routine then you can just fire off emails to reply that say all is well and it doesn't disturb you.

If something bad is happening then it can do something to notify you. I'd get a Squeezebox, a Chumby or just have a PC somewhere with the sound turned up really high basically a network controllable audio system with speaker that just plays something obnoxious until you get up to cancel it. SMS notifications would be easy and just having a modem ring you constantly would also be easy. Getting something to play a message would require a bit more effort and more difficult hardware selection though.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Matt27[lt] wrote: »
    "wake up, zombie attack! Please create a ticket".

If it was me I'd be at my computer and loading Left 4 Dead before I'd woken up enough to process it all.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    You could set up rules to forward the messages for you. The everything ok goes to other people and the not everything ok goes to your cell phone, either to an email address that your phone is set up to receive or as text message.

But that means that your phone needs to be able to wake you up.

THIS! Thought about it after I posted the thread and went to check outlook configuration. It seems 2007 version has some powerful rules tools. I can filter based on many criteria and send to my phone an email. Problem is now I'm trying to set up my nokia 5230 to beep a continues tone until I cancel it. Otherwise one beep is not enough for me :) But we are going forward!
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    If you had a *NIX box around then I'd run procmail with some rules that detect these incoming emails and process them.

If its routine then you can just fire off emails to reply that say all is well and it doesn't disturb you.

If something bad is happening then it can do something to notify you. I'd get a Squeezebox, a Chumby or just have a PC somewhere with the sound turned up really high basically a network controllable audio system with speaker that just plays something obnoxious until you get up to cancel it. SMS notifications would be easy and just having a modem ring you constantly would also be easy. Getting something to play a message would require a bit more effort and more difficult hardware selection though.
    Our sysadmin probably could help me with NIX. What I liked from your post is idea to play on PC some obnoxious sound until I cancel it. I have to check if outlook 2007 can execute a video or an mp3 depending on the rule. If it can - vualia. Problem of waking up is solved. Get an email with a problem, Outlook executes Limp Bizkit "Rollin'", my wife executes me with a pillow to the head and I am fully wake up. Awesome! Thank you sir, too.

Thank you all for the quick an dead on answers.