Options

Do any of you connect to your work pc from your phone?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
i just got a Blackberry Storm 2 so i could connect to our Cisco ASA 5510 ssl vpn, i got a message the image size was too big and the browser shut down. is it the phone? is ssl the wrong way to do this?

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    If you get it activated on a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) you can install some SSH apps (Like BBSSH) to remotely manage your networking equipment.

Bypassing the web interface completely. (I'm a big CLI guy)

Make sure you are running the latest OS for the Storm as well.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I think a phone, or even something like an iPad is just too limited to actually work from. I prefer to establish a reverse SSH tunnel and then just login via that. If I need graphical applications, X Forwarding usually takes care of it.
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    i see..... so it appears having the phone is only step 1 of this process. lol. well, at least i can get alerts.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Indeed it is tough to work from the screen of BlackBerry but I can usually manage simple tasks from my phone as need be. (Checking logs, enabling switch ports, etc. If I'm not at my desk that is)

Definitely not an ideal working environment but it's a small option.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Never. Blackberries are some of the slowest phones as it is.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    peakbagger66peakbagger66 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tdean wrote: »
    i just got a Blackberry Storm 2 so i could connect to our Cisco ASA 5510 ssl vpn, i got a message the image size was too big and the browser shut down. is it the phone? is ssl the wrong way to do this?

Well, I don't have a Blackberry, but on occasion I have VPNd in with my iPhone and Android to do minor tasks like resetting a password, disabling or enabling an account, restarting a server, etc. Sometime's I'll use it when I get a support call and I am not in the office and I want to see what the client is looking at. It's a massive pain really and something to be avoided IMHO unless they really need that account enabled RIGHT THIS MINUTE.