Options

Another Lab Thread - need ebay help

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
What I would like to do is set up a CCNA lab at home. I eventually want to get to firewall (asa) configuration as well, so i have that in the back of my mind.

I've been looking at ebay auctions on "ccna labs" for a week or so, but am hesitant to bid yet.

I know I need one router running 12.4. I would like 3 other routers, and 3 switches. What I need is advice on what models/memory to look for, what prices are appropriate, and what vendors to look for or stay away from.

I'd like to say budget under $400, but it has to be what it has to be to do it right.

Ebay or craigslist linkage is welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You should search the forum for one of the many recent posts about CCENT/CCNA labs. Your questions are pretty much exactly the same as what other people have been asking so the answers in the other threads will apply to you as well.

Start off by reading this.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Wow, there are so many questions on setting up labs, it's almost worth creating a whole new category on this forum for lab related questions.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    It's one of the funnest things about studying Cisco is breaking out that credit card and getting your hands dirty. :)
  • Options
    seekrit wrote: »
    It's one of the funnest things about studying Cisco is breaking out that credit card and getting your hands dirty. :)

Ya, I just dont know whats a good deal on ebay. Should I buy a kit? Seperate components? Who's reputable? Who's not?

Right now most of the gear when i search "ccna lab" is sold by either "fati_zee" or "r87654321". To me, both of those are a little questionable for naming conventions - i figure a reputable seller would use a legit or more reasonable name. If I get taken to the bank on one of those, i can just see myself saying, "Well the guys name WAS r87654321...i should have seen it coming".
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was looking at kits, most of them seem to be
    1) overpriced
    2) OLD equipment.

Check prices on 2950 switches and 2610-class or 2610XM-class routers. Neither will be expensive and you can get by with 2 of each (a 3rd of each would be good if you can afford them though). A wic-1t or t1 expansion card for the routers*, various cables and you're set, and for much cheaper than an outdated "kit" would have probably cost.

* going with 3 routers would need extra cards since you're not just doing a 1-2 connection. Either 2 wic-1t's and a wic-2t or something...
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on NOT buying a kit. I was in your position two months ago. There's so much stuff out there thats ridiculously confusing. By going with separates I learned the difference between older and newer routers and switches, XM vs. non-XM, 2924 vs 2950 etc. Do your homework and it will pay off. Go through "help me build a lab" posts as most of them have the same recommendations. Then go check eBay. Look at the completed items. When you fully understand what you want, make sure you check the seller's feedback. A good seller will tell you how much RAM and what IOS the router has. Also, don't forget to check this board. I got two very nice 2610xm units from a member here.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    +1 on NOT buying a kit. I was in your position two monghs ago. Theres so much stuff out there thats ridiculously confusing. By going with separates I learned the difference between older and newer routers and switches, XM vs. non-XM, 2924 vs 2950 etc. Do your homework and it will pay off. Go through "help me build a lab" posts as most of them have the same recommendations. Then go check eBay. Look at the completed items. When you fully understand what you want, make sure you check the seller's feedback. A good seller will tell you how much RAM and what IOS the router has. Also, dont forget to check this board. I got two very nice 2610xm units from a member here.

This. And don't jump on the first thing you see. Take your time and get the best deal you can.
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3 1721 router [32MB Flash versions] with wic-1t cards in em ($10-30 each)
    3 64MB DRAM for 1721 to upgrade to 128MB ram to install 12.4($8 each)
    1 router with alot of serial interfaces for frame relay switch. (varies)
    3 DCE/DTE crossover cables ($5-8 each)

3 2950 switches (30-60)

For the frame relay switch, you could buy something like a 2523 or any router with can hold the NM-4AS,NM-8AS,NM-4T modules like the 26xxXM,3620/40 etc.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    If I'd know what I know now when I was starting out, this is what I would have done.

Get two or three 2950 switches with whatever money I have, use gns3 to do the routing labs while saving up enough money to get some real routers (26xx series do the trick).

As it turned out, I got the gear from my employer for free, but if I had to pay for it that's what I would do.
  • Options
    Ok, here's the plan. Tell me if I'm jacked up. Starting with the ICND1, I'm going to focus on that material first for a couple of months, then buy any additional gear to round out ICND2.

Router:
    I found a 2610XM for $70

Switch:
    I found a 2950 for $47

That router has 128/48 and runs IOS 12.4. The switch from what I gather pretty much doesnt matter.

I also found a 2650 with 48/16 for $69. Would that be useful/reasonable?
  • Options
    that 2610xm price would probably jack up when the bid is done to about $100+

Dont forget one thing: you want a WIC-1T card with whatever router you buy unless you are willing to fork out $15-20 to buy the module separately when you are ready to do some frame relay.

Also, another reason to buy the 1721 and a 64MB ram upgrade is to get some experience upgrading memory and some hands on experience installing another IOS into your router (it was fun when I did it :)) which, in my opinion are some of the advantages of getting real gear vs using simulators.

as for the 2950, there are some differences mainly the Standard Image vs Enhanced Image. I think (not too sure) the 2950T/G/C [http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps628/product_data_sheet09186a00801cfb64.html] comes with the EI which has more features that the normal SI ones. I bought the 2950T one for the 2 gigabit ports which I find very convenient for my home network.
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    watch for wic 1dsu t1 cards for your serial interfaces. I picked up 4 of them for $30 total off ebay. Cables for these are free if you have a crimper. icon_smile.gif
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    I ordered 2 2610XM's with WIC1T cards in them already, and the sho version showed IOS 12.4, so Im pretty sure those are going to be serviceable.

Regarding the 2950 switches...for CCENT/CCNA purposes, is there any difference between the 12 port and 24 port? If not I'd prefer the 12 port just because of the cost.

Also, the thread re: lab pics is also a great resource for people asking these newb questions like me.
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    Regarding the 2950 switches...for CCENT/CCNA purposes, is there any difference between the 12 port and 24 port? If not I'd prefer the 12 port just because of the cost.
    No but from my ebay experience the prices are usually the same for the 12/24 port versions.